Cruising cats: visit to TED

Old March 24th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cruising cats: visit to TED

Ahoy,
Because of the ineptitude of their two crew members, Rosie and Cinder
had to see TED today.
Before we left, Jim & I had purchased enough Revolution to last several
months. We wanted to be sure that the kitties would not be tormented by
fleas that we may track onto the boat, or heartworms from the mosquitoes
that we are bound to encounter during our journey.

Having invested a considerable sum in this product, we now realize that
we don't remember where we packed it and we can't find it.

What to do? Not knowing where we will be next, we can't order more from
the Internet. There was only one option left.

I looked up TED offices on the Internet and found one in the area who
had Revolution. The catch is, even though we had recent health
certificates, TED had to see the cats before prescribing the medicine.

Well, remember, we came by boat and don't have a car. Fortunately, one
of our neighbors with a boat on the same dock also live in the area and
offered to loan us a car. They also have a cat onboard, and totally
understood our failure as crew.

Rosie was napping out in the open, and I got her into her carrier with
only minor resistance.

Cinder knew right away something was up and hid in Rosie's den and
suffered the indignity of being dumped out onto the bed and then stuffed
into a carrier.

At TED's, they were subjected to the dreaded thermometer in the nether
regions and drops they always dislike immensely put between their
shoulder blades.

I think they will be discussing how hard it is to get good help.

On another topic, it appears that the weather will allow us to leave the
dock tomorrow morning. We will be heading from Galveston, Texas in the
direction of New Orleans, Louisiana. Much of the Gulf Coast from here
and Mississippi was hit hard by Hurricane Katrina. Not only homes, but
marine related businesses such as marinas were destroyed or damaged.

We expect to do a lot of anchoring out for the next several days.

Annie, crew for Rosie and Cinder

Old March 24th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-24, Annie Wxill penned:

I think they will be discussing how hard it is to get good help.

Thank you for sharing your (mis)adventures!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 24th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds familiar. We have rented motor homes several times for vacations
with the kids. The only real down side of renting for us, it takes most of
the trip for us to get the hang of where everything is.

Oh, and for the duration you are no longer help. You are now crew.

Jo

Old March 25th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
:

Thank you for sharing your (mis)adventures!
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Monique,
You are welcome. I'm glad you are enjoying them.
Annie, crew for Cinder and Rosie

Old March 25th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
:

Sounds familiar. ... it takes most of
the trip for us to get the hang of where everything is.
Oh, and for the duration you are no longer help. You are now crew.
Jo

We are getting more organized as we go along.

Yes, we know we are crew. Thank goodness our co-captains are
benevolent. We wouldn't even think of a mutiny.

Annie, crew for Rosie & Cinder

Old March 25th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Annie Wxill wrote:

Having invested a considerable sum in this product, we now realize that
we don't remember where we packed it and we can't find it.

LOL! This sounds like something I would do. Glad you got it sorted,
though Cinder and Rosie might be looking for new servants at the moment.
Hope you find the Revolution eventually.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 26th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Annie Wxill wrote:
[...]

Hopefully you will find the Revolution that is packed away somewhere. I
like hearing of your cruising cats journals. This does bring up a few
concerns however. Perhaps you should if possible create a list of
vets/emergency vets now while you can. If you ever end up somewhere
where internet access is unavailable and you need a vet what then? Plus
creating a list of taxi or other transportation options along your route
as well would be prudent - since you cannot exactly take a car with you
on the boat. Purrs that you never really need either are provided however.

rrb
Old March 27th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"rrb" wrote in message

Hopefully you will find the Revolution that is packed away somewhere. I
like hearing of your cruising cats journals. This does bring up a few
concerns however. Perhaps you should if possible create a list of
vets/emergency vets now while you can. If you ever end up somewhere
where internet access is unavailable and you need a vet what then? Plus
creating a list of taxi or other transportation options along your route
as well would be prudent - since you cannot exactly take a car with you
on the boat. Purrs that you never really need either are provided however.
rrb

Thanks for the good wishes and the suggestions.

Our trip will be about 4,000 miles along the Eastern U.S. coastal and
inland waterways and canals in parts of Canada. Our speed averages 7
miles per hour, depending on winds and currents. We will cover from 20
to 90 miles a day between stops. Even if you use the metric units, you
can see that we are slow and almost always close to someplace.

I'm not worried about finding emergency vets. It's not likely that we
will be without Internet access where we are going. If we can't get the
Internet, we can use a phone book when we are at a dock, and we can ask
the locals for referrals. We can rent a car, if needed, anywhere we
will be.

The real trick is to get our mail delivered. We are using a service
that will forward it, but because we don't really know where we will be
on any given day, we have a problem telling them where to send it.

The third day into our trip, we were still close enough to home that my
husband rented a car and went back to get the mail. The last time, we
had them send it overnight to the marina where we were staying.

Annie, crew for Cinder and Rosie

Old March 27th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 01:25:29 +0000, "Annie Wxill"
wrote:

snip
Our trip will be about 4,000 miles along the Eastern U.S. coastal and
inland waterways and canals in parts of Canada. Our speed averages 7
miles per hour, depending on winds and currents. We will cover from 20
to 90 miles a day between stops. Even if you use the metric units, you
can see that we are slow and almost always close to someplace.

snip
Annie, crew for Cinder and Rosie

Hi Annie,

Are you going through the Erie/Barge Canal in NY? If so, drop me a
line. We are about 1 1/2 miles from where it goes through Oneida
Lake.

Patti
Old March 27th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

Thanks for the good wishes and the suggestions.

Our trip will be about 4,000 miles along the Eastern U.S. coastal and
inland waterways and canals in parts of Canada. Our speed averages 7
miles per hour, depending on winds and currents. We will cover from 20 to
90 miles a day between stops. Even if you use the metric units, you can
see that we are slow and almost always close to someplace.

OOOOH, if you are going to be overnight anywhere in North Carolina, would
you post it? We're within easy driving distance of Wilmington NC and
reasonable driving distance of anywhere else on the coast. I'd love to see
you and meet Rosie and Cinders, and knowing Rob, he'd love to stow away on
your boat.

Pam S. all kinds of excited

rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 December 19th 05 06:36 AM
It's Official [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 7 October 25th 05 04:20 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:35 AM
performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
American Idol guy & Cats PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 445 December 1st 03 07:47 PM