Tramadol

Old March 23rd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rose

Default Tramadol

Hi all,

My cat has intestinal lymphoma. A large tumor has formed, and we
think he may be beginning to have some pain because he cried a little
the last time the onocologist examined his abdomen (though I've been
told that this kind of cancer does not tend to cause much pain--that
it's the nausea that causes the most discomfort as the disease
progresses).

Anyway, he was prescribed tramadol, and I've been wanting to find out
a little more before giving it to him. I've read that it's an opiod,
has few side effects, and they don't THINK it's addictive. Anyone
have experience giving this drug to their cat?

Thanks,
Caroline

Old March 25th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 24 Mar, 00:58, "Rose" wrote:

Anyway, he was prescribed tramadol, and I've been wanting to find out
a little more before giving it to him. I've read that it's an opiod,
has few side effects, and they don't THINK it's addictive. Anyone
have experience giving this drug to their cat?

Thanks,
Caroline

I can't be certain, but if opiates are taken over a long period, then
they are addictive..

However, if your vet is prescribing them I am sure that she/he will
have considered that thought, & would never put him through withdrawal
symptoms.. they would cut them down slowly over a period of time, so
that he doesn't suffer the pain of withdrawal symptoms. And, if they
are consider giving him opiates, then he most be in some pain there..
Talk to your vet about it all. I am certain that they will give you
good advice..
S;o)

Old March 28th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped

"Rose" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

My cat has intestinal lymphoma. A large tumor has formed, and we
think he may be beginning to have some pain because he cried a little
the last time the onocologist examined his abdomen (though I've been
told that this kind of cancer does not tend to cause much pain--that
it's the nausea that causes the most discomfort as the disease
progresses).

Anyway, he was prescribed tramadol, and I've been wanting to find out
a little more before giving it to him. I've read that it's an opiod,
has few side effects, and they don't THINK it's addictive. Anyone
have experience giving this drug to their cat?

Thanks,
Caroline

I never gave it to my cats, but I've taken it (brand name Ultram). It's not
narcotic and has less side effects than most pain killers. It is prescribed
when there is already nausea present since it has less chance of causing
stomach upset.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 28th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

On Mar 23, 7:58 pm, "Rose" wrote:
Anyway, he was prescribed tramadol, and I've been wanting to find out
a little more before giving it to him. I've read that it's an opiod,
has few side effects, and they don't THINK it's addictive. Anyone
have experience giving this drug to their cat?

Hi Caroline. Sorry to hear about your kitty. My Meesha recently had
surgery and was given Tramadol for pain relief. Meesha is a very
affectionate cat, and the Tramadol seemed to intensify that (constant
head butting, purring, seeking affection, etc.) which wasn't a bad
thing in itself. However, the drug did make her aggitated and it took
a while for her to settle down. We just decreased her dose, and she
was fine. I do believe it helped her be more comfortable.

Best wishes for your kitty,

Lauren

Old March 29th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Rose" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

My cat has intestinal lymphoma. A large tumor has formed, and we
think he may be beginning to have some pain because he cried a little
the last time the onocologist examined his abdomen (though I've been
told that this kind of cancer does not tend to cause much pain--that
it's the nausea that causes the most discomfort as the disease
progresses).

-----------
As an aside, you might want to ask your doctor if you can give your kitty
some Pepcid to try to combat nausea. I have a CRF kitty with presumed
nausea, who had been moping around for weeks. Someone (don't remember who)
mentioned that the cat might be nauseated and Pepcid might help. It worked
like a charm and it's very benign. A cat-sized dose is 2.5 to 5.0 mg. Ask
your vet about it.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 29th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"sheelagh" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 24 Mar, 00:58, "Rose" wrote:

Anyway, he was prescribed tramadol, and I've been wanting to find out
a little more before giving it to him. I've read that it's an opiod,
has few side effects, and they don't THINK it's addictive. Anyone
have experience giving this drug to their cat?

Thanks,
Caroline

I can't be certain, but if opiates are taken over a long period, then
they are addictive..

What happens is that a *tolerance* develops so that if the person (or cat)
stops taking them, they need to be weaned gradually, as withdrawal symptoms
can result. This is not the same as "addiction" which (in humans) is
associated with aberrant drug-taking behavior (e.g., behaviors like
increasing the dose without the doctor's permission, seeking multiple
sources for the drug, attempting to obtain it illegally etc). People who are
addicted often need to go through special programs in drug detoxification
centers etc. The reason I am making a point of making this distinction is
that people are often prescribed opioid medications for chronic pain
syndromes, and they do develop tolerances (i.e. that if they decide to
discontinue the drug, they need to wean slowly to avoid withdrawal
symptoms), but it would be inaccurate to say they are *addicted.*

However, if your vet is prescribing them I am sure that she/he will
have considered that thought, & would never put him through withdrawal
symptoms.. they would cut them down slowly over a period of time, so
that he doesn't suffer the pain of withdrawal symptoms. And, if they
are consider giving him opiates, then he most be in some pain there..
Talk to your vet about it all. I am certain that they will give you
good advice..
S;o)

I agree.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 29th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Rose" wrote in message
[...]

It is an opioid.

and has less side effects than most pain killers. It is prescribed when
there is already nausea present since it has less chance of causing stomach
upset.

The major side effect in humans who take opioids is constipation. I don't
know if this is one of the side effects that tramadol doesn't have. But at
any rate, if Rose decides to go ahead with the tramadol, she might want to
keep an eye on this. Cats can be given things like lactulose and Benefiber
(in cat-sized doses) to combat constipation, just like humans. She should
ask her veterinarian about this. Again, Pepcid may help her cat's nausea.
She should ask her vet about this too.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Hugs from me too.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 30th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:31:19 -0400, cindys wrote:

What happens is that a *tolerance* develops so that if the person (or
cat) stops taking them, they need to be weaned gradually, as withdrawal
symptoms can result. This is not the same as "addiction" which (in
humans) is associated with aberrant drug-taking behavior (e.g.,
behaviors like increasing the dose without the doctor's permission,
seeking multiple sources for the drug, attempting to obtain it illegally
etc). People who are addicted often need to go through special programs
in drug detoxification centers etc. The reason I am making a point of
making this distinction is that people are often prescribed opioid
medications for chronic pain syndromes, and they do develop tolerances
(i.e. that if they decide to discontinue the drug, they need to wean
slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms), but it would be inaccurate to say
they are *addicted.*

What is your source for this information??? It sounds like something you
heard from a prescription drug addict as opposed to a doctor or medical
authority.

Charlie
Old March 30th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
news
[...]

--------
I don't think what I've written above comes even close to sounding like it
came from "a prescription drug addict."

Here is the medline link to information about tramadol:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...r/a695011.html

I am a medical person. Some of the work I currently do is for a pain clinic,
which is affiliated with a major urban hospital. A pain clinic is a place
where individuals with chronic pain problems go for treatment. The
treatments may include (but are not limited to) any of the following:

1. Interventional injections such as lumbar epidural steroid injections for
certain back problems (for example).
2. Trigger point injections.
3. Referrals for physical therapy.
4. Prescriptions for opioid pain medications.
5. Psychological therapy from a psychologist who specializes in the
treatment of pain disorders with the use of modalities such as biofeedback,
relaxation therapy etc.

When patients at this clinic are prescribed opioid pain medications, the
first step is a urine toxicology screen to ascertain that they are not
taking illicit substances. They sign an opioid contract/agreement in which
they agree not to increase their pain meds on their own and not to obtain
them from any providers other than the ones at the pain clinic. Generally,
patients with a past history of drug abuse are not considered candidates for
opioid medications. Throughout the time the patients are taking the opioid
pain meds, they are subject to random urine toxicology screening to ensure
compliance. Some patients take opioid pain medications for years for chronic
pain. They develop dependence, but they are not "addicts." When they no
longer need/want the drugs, they wean off the drugs over a period of a
couple of weeks, and they are done. They are not *addicts.*

As I stated above, an "addict" is a person who is exhibiting the aberrant
drug-taking behaviors I described in my first post and generally require
treatment at a drug detoxification facility in order to get off drugs.
People who are not "addicts" but merely dependent on the drug (which anyone
who takes opioids for more than a short time period becomes *dependent*)
merely wean off the drugs when they no longer require them.

Tramadol is considered a very low level opioid, meaning, the risk of
addiction is so small that the current wisdom is that tramadol is safe to
use *even in patients with a past history of opioid addiction.* In the USA,
it is not even classified as a controlled substance.

I hope the above information clarifies things.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 31st 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:24:37 -0400, cindys wrote:

[...]

I question whether many people can become physically dependent on
narcotics without also developing a psychological craving. But, I don't
know. My reason for challenging you was your use of the term
"tolerance," which doesn't square with my understanding, i.e., "drug
tolerance occurs when a subject's reaction to a psychopharmaceutical
drug... decreases so that larger doses are required to achieve the same
effect." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_tolerance)

Charlie