Do cats get strep throat?

Old June 25th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Default Do cats get strep throat?

I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat. I got antibiotics and told to
take it easy and drink lots of fluids. I'm staying at home today because
I had a terrible night and I'm pretty sure I'm contagious. Question. Can
I give the cats an infection? Should I avoid snuggling with them?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 25th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
oldhickory

from google, bottom of page:
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/tonsillitis.html
and : http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?id=61 also, near bottom of
page
and
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternati...REP-THROAT.htm

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

Old June 25th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On 25 Jun, 17:31, Victor Martinez wrote:
I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat. I got antibiotics and told to
take it easy and drink lots of fluids. I'm staying at home today because
I had a terrible night and I'm pretty sure I'm contagious. Question. Can
I give the cats an infection? Should I avoid snuggling with them?////

I wouldn't worry too much, just don't kiss them or cough over them.
The likelyhood of them catching strep is not that high if at all.
Also, wash your hands before handling their bowls and things, and make
sure snotty tissues are out of reach. When I had strep, Liss Lily
Whiskers took it upon herself to empty the bin of snotty tissues. No
nice. ;O)

Get well soon purrs en-route

Helen M

Old June 25th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Randy

Victor Martinez wrote:
I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat. I got antibiotics and told to
take it easy and drink lots of fluids. I'm staying at home today because
I had a terrible night and I'm pretty sure I'm contagious. Question. Can
I give the cats an infection? Should I avoid snuggling with them?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Sending get well purrs. Take care of yourself.

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

Old June 25th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat. I got antibiotics and told to take
it easy and drink lots of fluids. I'm staying at home today because I had
a terrible night and I'm pretty sure I'm contagious. Question. Can I give
the cats an infection? Should I avoid snuggling with them?

Didn't the doctor test you for strep to be sure? They have tests that give
results quickly.

Jo

Old June 25th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Victor Martinez wrote:

I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat. I got antibiotics and told to
take it easy and drink lots of fluids. I'm staying at home today because
I had a terrible night and I'm pretty sure I'm contagious. Question. Can
I give the cats an infection? Should I avoid snuggling with them?

Wow, strep is serious! Even with antibiotics, it takes a little while
to get rid of it. Your doctor's right - definitely take it easy!

You can't give strep to your kitties, though. There are very few diseases
that are mutual to humans and cats. Strep isn't one of them.

Tom, on the other hand, should be careful. You are certainly contagious
to him!

Joyce
Old June 25th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

jofirey wrote:
Didn't the doctor test you for strep to be sure? They have tests that give
results quickly.

She took two swabs and rubbed them against my throat (ouch!). She said
they would do an instant test and a regular lab test. If the instant
test came back positive, it's positive, but if it comes back negative,
it's not always certain. I'm waiting for the phone call.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 25th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Jun 25, 2007, Victor Martinez wrote:

jofirey wrote:
Didn't the doctor test you for strep to be sure? They have tests that give
results quickly.

She took two swabs and rubbed them against my throat (ouch!). She said
they would do an instant test and a regular lab test. If the instant
test came back positive, it's positive, but if it comes back negative,
it's not always certain. I'm waiting for the phone call.

I've had numerous of those (worked in hospitals for 15 years) and I always
found that the best deal is a shot of penicillin in the butt. Within hours I
felt relief. Things have changed somewhat I suppose, but even the last time I
was suspicious that I had it, the doc gave me that five-day antibiotic
(Zithromax?) and told me to take it right away. I'm glad I did... by the next
morning it felt better. Not as fast as the shot in the butt (and not as much
fun :-) but nearly as fast.

As others have told you, you can't give it to your cats, but be a bit safe
anyway, as they might end up carrying something to give to others.

As for human contact: FIE! GET THEE HENCE! ;-)

--
Joey Dee from NYC

Remember: It is To Laugh

a few Ketzl pix
http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old June 25th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

jofirey wrote:
Didn't the doctor test you for strep to be sure? They have tests that
give results quickly.

She took two swabs and rubbed them against my throat (ouch!). She said
they would do an instant test and a regular lab test. If the instant test
came back positive, it's positive, but if it comes back negative, it's not
always certain. I'm waiting for the phone call.

--

Good, I can stop acting like a momma bear. That is the right course of
treatment.

Hope you feel better very soon, if not already. Even if it isn't strep, its
a nasty.

Jo

Old June 26th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Ketzl's Dad wrote:
I've had numerous of those (worked in hospitals for 15 years) and I always
found that the best deal is a shot of penicillin in the butt. Within hours I
felt relief. Things have changed somewhat I suppose, but even the last time I

That's what I grew up with! But I've never heard of such a thing being
prescribed in the US. I can even shoot myself, I've had to do it before.

was suspicious that I had it, the doc gave me that five-day antibiotic
(Zithromax?) and told me to take it right away. I'm glad I did... by the next
morning it felt better. Not as fast as the shot in the butt (and not as much
fun :-) but nearly as fast.

Yes, I was hoping for a Z-pack (as they call them), but I got good old
amoxilin. Just as good, I figure my cheap ass insurance probably doesn't
cover "brand name" meds.

As for human contact: FIE! GET THEE HENCE! ;-)

In the more than 10 years we've been together, I have yet to see Tom get
sick of this kind of ailment. Seriously, the guy doesn't even get colds!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he