Do cats get strep throat?

Old June 26th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

Default Do cats get strep throat?

Victor Martinez wrote:
I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat. I got antibiotics and told to
take it easy and drink lots of fluids. I'm staying at home today because
I had a terrible night and I'm pretty sure I'm contagious. Question. Can
I give the cats an infection? Should I avoid snuggling with them?

No idea about giving it to the kitties, but healing purrs on the way.

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old June 26th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Victor Martinez wrote:
I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat. I got antibiotics and told to
take it easy and drink lots of fluids. I'm staying at home today because
I had a terrible night and I'm pretty sure I'm contagious. Question. Can
I give the cats an infection? Should I avoid snuggling with them?

Lots of purrs coming your way, Victor.

Old June 26th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat. I got antibiotics and told to take
it easy and drink lots of fluids. I'm staying at home today because I had
a terrible night and I'm pretty sure I'm contagious. Question. Can I give
the cats an infection? Should I avoid snuggling with them?

Yikes - I've had strep a bunch of times and I know how much it hurts. Purrs
on the way to get better soon. Sorry, don't know anything about
contagiousness to cats but I thought that there were very few things that
survived the temperature change between humans and cats.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old June 26th 07, 10:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

Victor Martinez wrote:
I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat.

Poor you!

The Fabulous Furballs send purrs for a quick recovery!

I hope none of your owners does what a friend of mine's did- poor Tasha was
laid up with a most vile strain of 'flu and she managed to doze off for a bit
and was woken by a gentle paw on the back of her neck. Twas her little kitty
come to offer condolences and as she rolled over the stroke said kitty, she
almost rolled into a dead and disembowelled mousie on her pillow! Kitty was
obviously bringing her a little treat to make her feel better....

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old June 26th 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

On Jun 26, 7:03 pm, "Lesley via CatKB.com" u27720@uwe wrote:
Victor Martinez wrote:
I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat.

Poor you!

The Fabulous Furballs send purrs for a quick recovery!

I hope none of your owners does what a friend of mine's did- poor Tasha was
laid up with a most vile strain of 'flu and she managed to doze off for a bit
and was woken by a gentle paw on the back of her neck. Twas her little kitty
come to offer condolences and as she rolled over the stroke said kitty, she
almost rolled into a dead and disembowelled mousie on her pillow! Kitty was
obviously bringing her a little treat to make her feel better....

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Aww... how sweet and ikky.

Dewi

Old June 26th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Jun 25, 2007, Victor Martinez wrote:

In the more than 10 years we've been together, I have yet to see Tom get
sick of this kind of ailment. Seriously, the guy doesn't even get colds!

Sounds like my ex. In the 15 years we were together he was never sick, until
one afternoon he said he started to feel funny. The next couple of days were
tense: he couldn't lie down without coughing his brains out, and he started
sweating profusely. Finally got him to agree to go to the ... (I was about to
say "vet" :-) local health-stop, where they gave him some antibiotic or
other. He got better a day or two later.

A few days after that, my niece and her husband were visiting. He's a doctor,
and I happened to mention John's recent illness. He asked me to describe the
symptoms and when I did, and he and my niece looked at each other and said in
unison "West Nile Virus!"

Turns out that's what he had. I prolly woulda been dead if it were me.

--
Joey Dee from NYC

Remember: It is To Laugh

a few Ketzl pix
http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old June 26th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Jun 26, 2007, Lesley via CatKB.com wrote:

Victor Martinez wrote:
I've been running a fever since Saturday, and when I went to the doctor
she said it was probably strep throat.

Poor you!

The Fabulous Furballs send purrs for a quick recovery!

I hope none of your owners does what a friend of mine's did- poor Tasha was
laid up with a most vile strain of 'flu and she managed to doze off for a bit
and was woken by a gentle paw on the back of her neck. Twas her little kitty
come to offer condolences and as she rolled over the stroke said kitty, she
almost rolled into a dead and disembowelled mousie on her pillow! Kitty was
obviously bringing her a little treat to make her feel better....

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Cute! Well, they say the best natural cure is a nice home-made mouse soup. Or
is that "chicken"?

--
Joey Dee from NYC

Remember: It is To Laugh

a few Ketzl pix
http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old June 26th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ketzl's Dad wrote:

Sounds like my ex. In the 15 years we were together he was never
sick, until one afternoon he said he started to feel funny. The
next couple of days were tense: he couldn't lie down without
coughing his brains out, and he started sweating profusely.
Finally got him to agree to go to the ... (I was about to say
"vet" :-) local health-stop, where they gave him some antibiotic
or other. He got better a day or two later.

A few days after that, my niece and her husband were visiting. He's
a doctor, and I happened to mention John's recent illness. He
asked me to describe the symptoms and when I did, and he and my
niece looked at each other and said in unison "West Nile Virus!"

Turns out that's what he had. I prolly woulda been dead if it were
me.

I hate to get all geeky on you, but how did antibiotics clear up a
virus??

Or did he get something else (ie, "or other" )?

Joyce
Old June 26th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ketzl's Dad wrote:

Cute! Well, they say the best natural cure is a nice home-made mouse
soup. Or is that "chicken"?

Jewish cats prefer a nice, hot mouse soup.

Joyce