Cats in jeopardy near Houston; owner died

Old July 30th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

Default Cats in jeopardy near Houston; owner died

I just received this very sad and very urgent message from Carolyn Jordan
(bearcreekrescue(at)getgoin(dot)net). If anyone can help in any way....

________________________________

A friend of mine in Ohio, has a friend near Houston, TX who needs help with
some cats. Her letter is below.

There is a house full of cats down there who's owner has died. Some are
being helped, some still need help. Sounds like they need help with the
half wild ones.

I am not connected to that many cat resources. If your group can help these
ladies in any way to prevent these cats from being euthanized, please ask
anyone in that area to step in and help. They don't need money, what they
need is fellow cat lovers and experienced hands-on help. Would appreciate
if you would do what you can to help them. Pat is the lady anyone would
need to contact.

Reply to Pat in Houston,

Thanks, Carolyn

________________________

Hi Carolyn,

If you know anybody in this area who can help, we would appreciate it. My
friend found about 20 cats in her sister's house when she went by in the
evening yesterday. She talked to folks at the City of Pasadena (near
Houston, where her sister lived) and they said any cats they trap they will
euthanize. The local shelter that I support has taken the cats we were able
to catch so far and they have agreed to take the German Shepherd even though
they don't normally take larger dogs - they don't have much space. My friend
has found another organization to take some of the cats, but she needs help
trapping the skittish ones. Many of them are young and would probably adapt
well to living in a home if they had a chance.

I took off work today to help Syd at her sister's house. There were cats
everywhere, and worse, cat pee and poo. On the kitchen table on the kitchen
counters in her drawers on her clothes - I have never seen anything like it.
Needless to say the house stunk to high heaven and she had only one tiny
window unit a/c - and it got to 95+ degrees today. I took one male cat who
was friendly and a female cat with 8! very small kittens - probably a week
old - to the shelter I support. We saw 4 other grown cats, plus I opened a
drawer looking for the title to the car and a cat jumped out - scared me to
death. She had 4 more week-old kittens (plus OMG again - 2 dead kittens) in
the drawer. Couldn't catch her and I knew they wouldn't take the babies with
no mama. All the other cats also were too afraid to let us get near them. It
was the worst thing I ever saw. How sad!

Thanks!