Cat upsetting water

Old December 22nd 03, 06:08 PM
MaryL

"GovtLawyer" wrote in message
My one year old male cat is normal in all other ways except that he

regulary
upsets water out of his water bowl. When drinking he places a paw in the
water and then "paddles" the water out of the bowl onto the floor. Why

does
he do this? How do I stop it? Any help would be appreciated.

Your cat, and others, do that because they prefer running water. The

still
water somehow bothers them and when they put their paws in the bowl it

causes
ripples which is something they find comforting. I had several cats who

did
the same thing. I do not think you can stop this behaviour.

This, I think, is the primary reason they sell some cat water bowls which

are
weighted at the bottom, it prevents them from being tossed around. A

possible
solution is to buy a watering type gadget (often a bit pricey) which not

only
gives them an almost endless supply of fresh water, but also mimics a

fountain
and the water seems as if it is running.

The problem with this solution for *some* cats is that many cats really want
to play in the water. Holly is one of them. I will sometimes turn the
faucet on very low *just for her.* She sticks her head under it, splashes
and throws it with her paws, etc. But she still needs a permanent bowl of
drinking water that she won't throw all over the place (and that leads back
to my previous message where I described how I solved that problem...).

MaryL

Old December 22nd 03, 06:27 PM
TCS

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:04:23 -0700, m L Briggs wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:33:15 -0600, "mahlon"
wrote:

My one year old male cat is normal in all other ways except that he regulary upsets water out of his water bowl. When drinking he places a paw in the water and then "paddles" the water out of the bowl onto the floor. Why does he do this? How do I stop it? Any help would be appreciated.

mahlon

FYI Cats cannot see water.

where did you hear that? AFAIK, cats can see water just as well
as humans.

Old December 23rd 03, 09:02 AM
Alan Sandoval

wrote:

My one year old male cat is normal in all other ways except that he

regulary upsets water out of his water bowl. When drinking he places a paw
in the water and then "paddles" the water out of the bowl onto the floor.
Why does he do this? How do I stop it? Any help would be appreciated.

mahlon

FYI Cats cannot see water.

where did you hear that? AFAIK, cats can see water just as well
as humans.

The best explanaition I've heard is that water in the wild is always
better/fresher when it's running, and cats, even domesticated cats, have
that ingrained. Still water equals stale water. It does vary from cat to
cat, even in the same environment. My present cat, Willow, could care less,
but the cat that came before, Spot, LOVED drinking from the faucet or any
source of running water. But then Spot was the rare 'water cat'. She once
fell into a full bathtub and didn't mind at all.

Old December 24th 03, 12:14 AM
Judy

"mahlon" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
My one year old male cat is normal in all other ways except that he

regulary upsets water out of his water bowl. When drinking he places a paw
in the water and then "paddles" the water out of the bowl onto the floor.
Why does he do this? How do I stop it? Any help would be appreciated.

mahlon

He could be doing this because he can't see where the water line is. Cat's
cant see the water line. When Matilda started paddling around in her bowl, I
floated a top from a bottle of orange juice in the bowl. She can see the
cap - bright green - problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Judy and Matilda.

Old December 24th 03, 05:50 AM
Melissa Powell

"Judy" wrote in message
. ..

"mahlon" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
My one year old male cat is normal in all other ways except that he

regulary upsets water out of his water bowl. When drinking he places a

paw
in the water and then "paddles" the water out of the bowl onto the floor.
Why does he do this? How do I stop it? Any help would be appreciated.

mahlon

He could be doing this because he can't see where the water line is. Cat's
cant see the water line. When Matilda started paddling around in her bowl,

floated a top from a bottle of orange juice in the bowl. She can see the
cap - bright green - problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Judy and Matilda.

I've had three cats do this. Its a play thing. There's not really anything
you can do to 'stop' it - just fix a bowl so that there's not so much mess.
I've found that runniong water in sinks works - because then they splash,
but there's little mess. But then I have one male, Dylan, who is
fascinated with running water...and another male, Spike, who likes to drink
all the water he can out of the cat 'water cooler' because it gulps (air
bubbles). He spends quite a bit of time drinking water and watching it.
The vegetable bin idea is a good one; or one of those cheap cookie sheets
with sides...just something to catch the water. And make sure to get a
water bowl that doesn't tip - one of my cats, TC, learned to tip the water
bowl over - water everywhere.

As for the site thing: cats like most predators are slightly farsighted.
They have great vision for hunting and seeing distances - but not so good
close up. You'll find cats (and dogs) often don't like taking things, food
or drink, if its just shoved under their nose. They sometimes back away a
little to get a look. And I've seen all my cats 'nose' for water - sniff,
sniff, sniff, until they get the water on or up their nose - and then they
know where it is.

Bottom line: Most of the water behaviour either goes away or doesn't -
there's no real way to make them stop.

Melissa (+ Dylan, the sink drinker; Marlowe, a fellow paddler; Baghera,
fresh water only please; Isabelle, a queen of sophisticated taste - glass
only; TC, water splasher in spirit; and Felecia, queen of dribble)

Old December 24th 03, 05:50 AM
Melissa Powell

"Judy" wrote in message
. ..