The Raccoon and the Possum

Old May 5th 19, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jes Me

Default The Raccoon and the Possum

On Sat, 04 May 2019 14:15:14 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

You do have interesting wildlife. We have a fox come around sometimes
during the night and for a few weeks we had a badger visit our back
garden. Apart from that it's a very occasional squirrel, birds and
sometimes mice, usually in next door's garden as Sootie seems to keep any
away (or kills) from ours.

Living here in the city means not a lot of wildlife, but it exists not
far away.

I had a opossum that lived close to me once, the cats simply ignored
it, even when it snacked from their food.

Other than that, skunks are quite common, just not close to me
currently, which I'm certainly happy about.

Old May 7th 19, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/7/2019 5:14 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
On 5/4/2019 9:15 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , dgk
wrote:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 18:22:53 -0700 (PDT), Bill Stock
wrote:

I've mentioned that we leave food out for a couple of strays and the
wildlife sometimes gets into it. But the other night I turned on the
light and I see a large Raccoon and a Possum at the same food. The
Possum left as soon as I turned the light on, but he didn't exactly
run away either. I thought Possums were relatively timid, despite
all those sharp little teeth. I don't know what happened before I
turned on the light, but the Raccoon was not aggressive at all,
which really surprised me.

We have raccoons and possums and I'm sure they get along. Possums and
cats get along well, I don't know about raccoons and cats though.
Neither can eat the other so I suspect they leave each other alone.

Raccoons are very smart, and I haven't noticed them being very
aggressive. Mostly you don't see them; but you see the possums.
Possums don't cause problems at all - if you have damage like
overturned garbage cans that almost certainly going to be a raccoon
rather than a possum. I think it's great that they've found ways to
live and thrive in a human dominated world. We've destroyed so much
animal life that we're very likely to follow it into a well deserved
extinction ourselves. Hopefully the raccoons and possums will take
over and do a better job.

You do have interesting wildlife. We have a fox come around sometimes
during the night and for a few weeks we had a badger visit our back
garden. Apart from that it's a very occasional squirrel, birds and
sometimes mice, usually in next door's garden as Sootie seems to keep
any away (or kills) from ours.

Judith

There is some very interesting wildlife in the US and it varies wildly
from state to state. There aren't any badgers (that I know of) in this
country.

I have seen some small red foxes. I'm not talking rural areas where
they might be getting after someones chickens and thus a nuisance. When
I worked in an office complex in Memphis, TN there was a small copse of
woods abutting the parking lot. For a few days one spring we'd look
out the windows and see a fox and her kits playing at the edge of the
parking lot. A couple of times the kits thought it would be fun to run
and jump up on the cars in the parking lot. LOL The vixen (mama fox)
quickly ushered them away. Sadly, a developer bought that land for yet
another office building. A bunch of us were concerned and contacted the
local wildlife preservation society; these foxes need to be relocated
before that idiot razes their home! Sadly, I don't know if that
happened.

Where I live now, along with raccoons and opossums (and tons of birds),
there are a lot of deer where I live. There's no hunting allowed in
this community and lots of green space, plants and trees. I love
watching the deer and OB Cats: Buffy is fascinated when she sees them in
my back yard.

I'm told there are wild mink on the island, too. Allegedly they're
rather vicious creatures.

One thing I wish I could see is a hedgehog. From what I've seen on
nature programs and online videos, they're funny little spiny critters
that roll into balls.

Jill

I too hope those foxes were saved.

I hope so too, because it was a greedy developer who interloped on their
territory. They were very cute to watch running and playing.

I'd love to see a deer in my garden. There are some that sometimes can be
seen in the park at the top of the hill. They stray from the woods, across
the road and into the park. It happens only occasionally and usually
photos are taken and put on our local area's Facebook page.

The next time I see some deer right behind my house I'll take another
pic and share them.

Just a few days ago I looked my dining room window onto my driveway at
the front of my house and there were *five* does. They walked around to
the back. When they started grazing out back one of them was very
rambunctious. She leaped over another doe. Her sister (I think it was
a big sister) got annoyed. This little doe was having a big time,
prancing around. It was too cute!

We used to have hedgehogs in our gardens but the fences a
re more solid now
so I think they stay mainly in the small area where the Brook comes down
from the park and there are trees and brambles around the brook. It's only
a small area but I would think a good place for them
Occasionally, one
might be seen in a front garden but not like it used to be. I've seen a
mother with her babies following across my front lawn. Years ago,there
used to be one who was confused and was out during the day. The children
in the street named him Harry (he was around for a couple of years at
least). One morning at the school run time, Harry was in the middle of the
road, just sitting there. Now our street is a cul-de-sac which has one
road in/out, which goes around the houses on the block in the middle in a
loop and a small little bit of a dead end cul-de-sac off. So, at school
run time there are several cars that come from the little bit and the
houses round the block. Harry's sat there. The first car stops of course
with the kids in the back, the second one comes up behind it, then
another. with no way to get around Harry, they all have to reverse around
the block until they reach where the road joins itself and they can turn
around. each car did this and drove off with happy children waving to
Harry. did I tell you I live in a mad street?

Having written all this, I may have given you an impression that I live in
the countryside in a quaint village with eccentric neighbours. tHe truth
is I'm Lye a tiny town in the Black Country in the West Midlands of
England where we are very industrialised. There's stuff on the internet if
you're interested.

Judith

It certainly does sound like it! Fact is, there are no hedghogs in the
US and the only thing similar would be a porcupine. I've never seen or
lived near a porcupine, either. Those have very sharp quills/barbs and
you certainly wouldn't want to cuddle one.

Jill

Dead baby possum in the road dgk Cat anecdotes 15 September 11th 12 09:22 PM
OT Just relocated a kittke possum Kraut / Larry S. Cat anecdotes 8 October 17th 10 12:06 AM
I saw uh Possum Mosey =`^..^`= Cat community 16 April 24th 09 11:34 PM
Poor Possum dopekitty Cat anecdotes 1 November 16th 05 08:05 PM
OT - Playing 'possum' (american possum) Mishi Cat anecdotes 7 July 25th 05 05:45 PM