Animal experts....?

Old October 13th 05, 12:21 AM
meee

Default Animal experts....?

Hi everyone...a good idea just posted by tweed (ha ha, blaming this one on
you!!)
As we all love to help, share our knowledge etc here, and aren't phobic
about people mentioning AOTC (animals other than cats) would everyone who
has experience with animals other than cats add onto the list their name and
list of animals they know about? That way if any of us aquires/has a problem
with a new animal, we know someone to ask. As for some of us, access to
animal newsgroups are limited (I can only find cats, dogs and guinea pigs
inhabiting mine) it would be great to have someone to ask!And for how this
got started, please refer to the post '*sigh*Pearl... Well, here
goes.....

meee; goats (there you go tweed!), guinea pigs,parrots,
chickens, spiders (don't ask)

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Old October 13th 05, 12:23 AM
Victor Martinez

meee wrote:
has experience with animals other than cats add onto the list their name and
list of animals they know about? That way if any of us aquires/has a problem

I'm no expert, but I have learned a lot about keeping freshwater fish
and shrimp.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 13th 05, 12:42 AM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:21:11 +0000, meee wrote:

Hi everyone...a good idea just posted by tweed (ha ha, blaming this one on
you!!)
As we all love to help, share our knowledge etc here, and aren't phobic
about people mentioning AOTC (animals other than cats) would everyone who
has experience with animals other than cats add onto the list their name
and list of animals they know about? That way if any of us aquires/has a
problem with a new animal, we know someone to ask. As for some of us,
access to animal newsgroups are limited (I can only find cats, dogs and
guinea pigs inhabiting mine) it would be great to have someone to ask!And
for how this got started, please refer to the post '*sigh*Pearl...
Well, here goes.....

meee; goats (there you go tweed!), guinea pigs,parrots, chickens, spiders
(don't ask)

Hamsters are interesting. Try a.p.hamsters MLB

Old October 13th 05, 01:24 AM
meee

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
meee wrote:
has experience with animals other than cats add onto the list their name

and
list of animals they know about? That way if any of us aquires/has a

problem

I'm no expert, but I have learned a lot about keeping freshwater fish
and shrimp.

That's good to know- mine nearly always die!!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 13th 05, 01:44 AM
Gennie

Uh, do sea monkeys count? I am the designated caretaker of the office
sea monkey tank. (I've actually also raised regular brine shrimp to the
breeding state when I had a tank of reproducing guppies.)

Old October 13th 05, 02:10 AM
meee

wow, I always wanted sea monkeys as a kid!! do they really do tricks, or was
that all hype?

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

oups.com...

Old October 13th 05, 02:42 AM
Victor Martinez

meee wrote:
wow, I always wanted sea monkeys as a kid!! do they really do tricks, or was
that all hype?

Hype. They're nothing more than artemia sal****er shrimp. Small and not
very bright.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 13th 05, 02:55 AM
meee

meee wrote:
wow, I always wanted sea monkeys as a kid!! do they really do tricks, or

was
that all hype?

Hype. They're nothing more than artemia sal****er shrimp. Small and not
very bright.

Aaah, I had a suspicion that would be the case...i remember i looked them up
in a book or something, then wondered how the hell they'd managed to get
brine shrimp to do tricks? still wondering....it said so on the box, so it
must be true... :^)
--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 13th 05, 03:29 AM
Gennie

Yep--sea monkeys are, in fact, a species o' brine shrimp (artemia NYOS)
specifically bred to withstand the rigors of attentions (or inattention
as may be the case) of their target market--children. Other than that
they are pretty much like the wild brine shrimp I've raised to feed my
fish.

The "trick" referred to on the packaging just refers to getting the
shrimp to swim in a certain direction in the tank. The shrimps'
principal food source in nature is algae which flourishes in bright
light. The shrimp are "programmed" to move in the direction of the food
source by following light (phototaxis).
More than you really wanted to know, isn't it? :-)

Gennie