Common language

Old February 24th 11, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Common language

I don't speak cat and the cats don't speak human, but at least we have
learned some sounds from each other. The cats know their names and some
variations of them. Miranda reacts best to Mir-Mir, where the first Mir
is slightly higher than the second. Caliban reacts to his whole name but
also to abbreviations like Calis or Cali-Cali.

They know the Swedish word for food - mat. Miranda reacts best to
mat-mat with an inflection - mat-mat? - to run to where I feed her. They
also know ut (out), and again, Mir likes ut-ut?

The latest expression we have learned is ack-ack-ack, which naturally
means bird. Any time I say ack-ack-ack, both cats will rush to the
window going ack-ack-ack themselves and looking for birds. I try not to
overuse it so they won't stop reacting to it, but it's so funny when
they do it that I sometimes have to say it even if there are no birds in
sight.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old February 24th 11, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Marina wrote:
[...]

TuTu will usually come when I call and say "sunshine, sunshine in the
doorway (or window). Or when I say "let's fill your dish". Best
wishes. MLB
Old February 24th 11, 09:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

Smudgie knows "out", "chicken", "no" and "stick" (her favourite cat treat
which is long and stick shaped!) As for feeding time "are you hungry" has
somehow turned into "are you a Hungarian?" which prompts a mad dash to her
food bowl!

Sharon

Old February 24th 11, 09:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

The latest expression we have learned is ack-ack-ack, which naturally
means bird. Any time I say ack-ack-ack, both cats will rush to the
window going ack-ack-ack themselves and looking for birds. I try not to
overuse it so they won't stop reacting to it, but it's so funny when
they do it that I sometimes have to say it even if there are no birds in
sight.

That's hilarious! You have to get a video and put it on Youtube, with
all 3 of you going ack-ack-ack.

Joyce

--
A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Old February 24th 11, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Feb 24, 12:01*am, MLB wrote:
Marina wrote:
[...]

My 6 know Stinky (for food), "in the yard" for the two boys who like
to go outside (Leonidas and Jeb), we have a large fenced yard now, and
the boys will go out with me. They all answer to honeybunny (means
they get skritchin's and lovin's, only said when I am sitting in the
easy chair). They also know "clean potty", and will race to see who
gets to use the litter box first. They also know "nigh'-nigh'" Said
when one wants to go to sleep (as in "Marley, it's nigh-nigh, go to
sleep.").

Then there are variations of the names:
Pandora - Pandy, Pandy, Sweet as Candy (must be done in sing/song,
stretching Candy out a bit). If I say her full name, I have to put
emphasis on the 'dor' part, unless I'm flustered, at which point
emphasis is on 'Pan' (and she won't come to me when I say it that
way).
Marley - Gnarley or Gnarley Marley or Marleykins
Smeagol - Smeeg, Smeagolbeagle, beagleboy, rumblebug
Smokie - Smokie Darlin' (no 'g' sound), Smokiedokie, Smoke
Leonidas - his name and d*mm*t (I think daddy got the d*mm*t thing
working), Blue Eyed Boy
Jebediah - Jeb, Jebberbebber, bratboy.

They all know Snuggle bug, and will race to see who lies down with
momma when it is said, it doesn't work for hubby though.
Old February 24th 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Feb 24, 1:34*am, Marina wrote:
[...]

Rusty (RB) would come to me when I said "Come On'.
I first noticed that when I was cheering on a sports event on TV.

Winnie, still missing Rusty my little tiger