Cats and hot weather

Old August 9th 03, 04:38 PM
Zoeliz

Default Cats and hot weather

Do cats feel the heat during the summer hot weather? If they do, is there
anything we need to do to cool them off?

Zoe
Old August 9th 03, 07:44 PM
Mike

Hi zoe,
Yes they do . The Uk is currently in the grip of a rare heat wave .
I've noticed that my pets have gone off their food a bit . Kim the cat
is either in the shade in the garden or lying on tiles indoors.
Unfortunately the one fan we had has broken (sob) and not one shop
has a fan left , so any tips on how to keep humans cool would be
appreciated. BG
Alison

They will keep themselves cool, though you should stroke/comb them more to
get rid of excess fur (as they start malting) and make sure they have water
around at all times.

Mike

Old August 10th 03, 01:31 PM
---MIKE---

Your cats must get their water from their food (canned food or prey). I
feed canned food and rarely see my cats drink water.

-MIKE

Old August 10th 03, 01:31 PM
---MIKE---

Old August 10th 03, 02:21 PM
Mr B

Leave them inside with the Air conditioning....

Old August 10th 03, 10:39 PM
Matt

My two cats seem to be relatively heat resistent but since the heat
wave doen't seem to want to end they are becomming more and more
frustraded. In my apartment the temperature goes to over 100 degree
Fahrenheit every day and even at night it stays in the low nineties.
Playing with them has become difficult since they start panting after
just two minutes and look like they are going to pass out. Neither one
eats much and the basically have stopped wrestling with each other.
Cat dominance has shifted from tomcat to female because my big boy is
two sluggish to defend his territory. I wonder if he will retake it
when it gets colder. Also they have started shedding like crazy, at
this rate they'll be naked soon...