I need to know some things

Old November 2nd 03, 08:45 AM
Mike

Default I need to know some things

I need some questions answered. I tried a google search but I had
trouble finding the answers.

1. About how old is a female cat when she has her first litter of
kittens?
2. About what age do they usually stop having kittens?
3. Other than antifreeze, what other chemicals and poisons would cause
a cat to die within 24hrs of ingestion? And what poisons would do this
without effecting the kidneys?
4. Is there anyway to distinguish the difference between acid and
alkaline poisoning just from observing the cat? If so, how do you tell
the difference?
5. If a cat died from old age would it show any symptoms in the hours
before dying? If so, what would they be?
6. Are there any life-threatening illnesses a cat could have that
don't have any signs or symptoms until the hours before the cat dies?
What illnesses would these be? For instance, if a cat has a heart
condtion or kidney failure there are usually obvious signs in the
weeks before dying. Signs such as coughing, lethargy, mouth breathing,
foul smells, inability to contol the bowels/bladder.
7. How rare is chylothorax in cats? Like for example, 1 out of 1000?
1 out of 1 million?

Thanks for any questions you can answer.
Old November 2nd 03, 08:49 PM
Kalyahna

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
I need some questions answered. I tried a google search but I had
trouble finding the answers.

1. About how old is a female cat when she has her first litter of
kittens?

Females usually have their first heat around 6 months, though it can be a
little younger than that. Obviously, they're physically capable of pregnancy
once they've gotten that far.

2. About what age do they usually stop having kittens?

Whenever they're spayed.
If you meant biologically, on their own, I don't know if queens have
anything like human menopause.

3. Other than antifreeze, what other chemicals and poisons would cause
a cat to die within 24hrs of ingestion? And what poisons would do this
without effecting the kidneys?
4. Is there anyway to distinguish the difference between acid and
alkaline poisoning just from observing the cat? If so, how do you tell
the difference?
5. If a cat died from old age would it show any symptoms in the hours
before dying? If so, what would they be?

If the cat had a clean bill of health beyond being ancient, I've no idea.
However, most deaths of old age are still "natural causes," which could be
from a secondary infection or something as simple as an upper respiratory
infection. I would guess. You may want to crosspost all these questions to
alt.med.veterinary and ask them.

Old November 3rd 03, 02:59 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
I need some questions answered. I tried a google search but I had
trouble finding the answers.

1. About how old is a female cat when she has her first litter of
kittens?

She can have kittens as soon as she goes into heat, between 4 and 7
months, breed and health depending.
It is, however, very unhealthy for her to have her first litter before
she is a year old. Two is better. Her body isn't developed well. It's
like a 13 year old human having a baby. Spaying her before 6 months of
age is highly recommended for a cat who is not intended to be bred to a
breed standard. We have enough unwanted moggies. We don't need more.

2. About what age do they usually stop having kittens?

When they die or get spayed.

3. Other than antifreeze, what other chemicals and poisons would cause
a cat to die within 24hrs of ingestion? And what poisons would do this
without effecting the kidneys?

A vet would probably have a list or know where to get one. Contact your
local vet office.

4. Is there anyway to distinguish the difference between acid and
alkaline poisoning just from observing the cat? If so, how do you tell
the difference?

Probably not.
Ask at alt.med.veterinary.
You can get to it from Google.

5. If a cat died from old age would it show any symptoms in the hours
before dying? If so, what would they be?

Variable, if any. A cat dying from old age would already be winding
down, so it would be difficult to distinguish one symptom from another.
If it's dying from old age, it is dying slowly.

6. Are there any life-threatening illnesses a cat could have that
don't have any signs or symptoms until the hours before the cat dies?

Probably. Try alt.med.veterinary.

7. How rare is chylothorax in cats? Like for example, 1 out of 1000?
1 out of 1 million?

See #6.

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old November 3rd 03, 02:59 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old November 5th 03, 03:09 AM
Orcinus Orca

1. About how old is a female cat when she has her first litter of
kittens?

On average, 10 months, but I´ve heard of a 6 month-old cat having
kittens (first heat at 4). Not that I believe it.

2. About what age do they usually stop having kittens?

No idea. I´ve seen a lioness having cubs at 10 and a leopard at 11.
They seem to live less than cats so cats might be able to have kittens
even older than that.

3. Other than antifreeze, what other chemicals and poisons would cause
a cat to die within 24hrs of ingestion? And what poisons would do this
without effecting the kidneys?

Nearly anything can kill within 24 hours, even water. It depends on
how much and how often something is ingested.

4. Is there anyway to distinguish the difference between acid and
alkaline poisoning just from observing the cat? If so, how do you tell
the difference?

I don´t think a cat would die from acid or alkaline poisoning. They
dislike both tastes so most likely they´d spit it out. Acids and bases
don´t even smell like food so I can´t picture a cat eating it.

5. If a cat died from old age would it show any symptoms in the hours
before dying? If so, what would they be?

I´ve seen people and pets die of old age and there were no symptoms.
They died peacefully in their sleep.

6. Are there any life-threatening illnesses a cat could have that
don't have any signs or symptoms until the hours before the cat dies?
What illnesses would these be? For instance, if a cat has a heart
condtion or kidney failure there are usually obvious signs in the
weeks before dying. Signs such as coughing, lethargy, mouth breathing,
foul smells, inability to contol the bowels/bladder.

I don´t know, but that looks more like injury.

7. How rare is chylothorax in cats? Like for example, 1 out of 1000?
1 out of 1 million?

No idea, but it´s very uncommon. If I saw something like this, the
first thing that would occur to me is injury. The chest was either
perforated from the outside (e.g., stabbed by a knife), or a broken
rib (e.g., hit by a car or fell and hit something on the way down).
Two symptoms I´d expect to find here are pale lips eventually turning
purple (internal hemorrhage) along with hypothermia (low body
temperature).

I don´t know if pneumonia could be so silent, but I´ve seen some weird
pneumonias in people.

Old November 11th 03, 08:36 AM
Luvskats00

To the very troubled littleboyblu87 who, evidently, needs some kind of life...

Get therapy.
Old November 11th 03, 08:36 AM
Luvskats00

Old November 11th 03, 08:36 AM