We have beat the heat!

Old August 4th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

Default We have beat the heat!

I'm getting emails like the following from Weather.com:
______________________

An excessive heat warning remains in effect until 7 pm CDT Tuesday.

A hot and humid Sunday was observed across extreme southeast Kansas and the
Missouri Ozarks. High temperatures ranged from the mid 90s to the low 100s
with afternoon heat index values between 105 and 110 degrees over most
areas.

Oppressively hot and humid conditions will continue through Tuesday.
Afternoon high temperatures from the middle 90s to low 100s combined with a
very humid airmass will produce heat index values between 104 and 110
degrees. The hottest temperatures will occur between 2 and 7 pm. Little
relief will occur during the overnight hours as low temperatures remain in
the middle 70s. Consecutive days of these hot and humid conditions can have
an accumulating affect on the body...leading to heat illnesses. A cold front
will bring relief to the area starting Wednesday.

An excessive heat warning means that a prolonged period of dangerously hot
temperatures will occur. The combination of hot temperatures and high
humidity will combine to create a dangerous situation in which heat
illnesses are likely. Drink plenty of fluids...stay in an air-conditioned
room...stay out of the sun... and check up on relatives and neighbors.
___________________________

I really don't know why they think this weather warrants a warning like
this, as it's quite common at this time of year over most of the southern US
that isn't right on the coast.

Even without A/C in the house, we're doing fine! With the insulated windows,
which I open at night and shut early in the morning, and the metal grate
over the 2'x3' opening in the floor from the old floor furnace I had
removed, and a box fan laying on top of the grate blowing cool air upward,
the indoor temperature has not gone over 85 - and that's at midday and at
head level, meaning the floor is quite a bit cooler, so it's quite tolerable
for us all.

Eli looks ridiculous laying on his back with his legs in the air and his
fat-cat male teats showing, but he's cool as a cucumber. Abelard doesn't
mind being warm, and neither, apparently, do the young ones. I hardly see
Beatrice and Baby Eyes, they're probably in the closet. Lily spends most of
her time on the kitchen floor, Tommy's under my bed, and Billy the giant is
splayed over the floor grate beside the fan with tummy connected to the
basement air.

Old August 4th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 13:26:40 -0500, Pat wrote:

I'm getting emails like the following from Weather.com:
______________________

An excessive heat warning remains in effect until 7 pm CDT Tuesday.

Rolla, MO (65409) - Rolla Uni Of Missouri, MO

Sunny - 97 degrees at 8/4/08 2:45 PM CDT; Feels like: 112

Relative Humidity: 52%; Dewpoint: 77 degrees

Barometer: 29.98 (steady)

Wind: SSW (210 degrees) at 8 MPH, Gusts to: N/A

UV level: 8 (Very High); Visibility: 10.0 miles

--------
On the other hand, the reheat water pumps for the building are off so the
AC is running full blast and it's *cold* in my office - cold enough that
I'm wearing a knit cap, and a flannel shirt over my regular short-sleeve
shirt. Of course, it'll be hot when I get home because my home AC simply
can't keep up.

The cats are small enough to find microclimates that are more comfortable.

--
T.E.D. )

Old August 4th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Ted Davis wrote in

The cats are small enough to find microclimates that are more
comfortable.

Microclimates, I like that.

Old August 5th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 22:28:01 +0000, outsider wrote:

Ted Davis wrote in

The cats are small enough to find microclimates that are more
comfortable.

Microclimates, I like that.

I once worked with a guy who got his masters for research on the
microclimates of vinyards.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old August 5th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ted Davis wrote:

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 22:28:01 +0000, outsider wrote:

Ted Davis wrote in

The cats are small enough to find microclimates that are more
comfortable.

Microclimates, I like that.

I once worked with a guy who got his masters for research on the
microclimates of vinyards.

I discovered microclimates when I first visited San Francisco. It's so
hilly that the weather in one part of the city doesn't always reach other
parts. During that visit, I was staying with someone who lived in a foggy,
rainy, windy neighborhood. It looked like monsoon season out there. But
then I'd catch a bus to a neighborhood less than a mile away, and it would
be warm, sunny and calm. Weirdest thing I'd ever seen. I was from New
England, which doesn't have microclimates.

Last time I went to Florida, my sister and went someplace a bit out of
town, but not extremely far from where she lived, maybe a few miles away.
The weather started getting overcast and looking like rain, and because
I'm so used to microclimates now, I said, "I wonder if it's like this at
your house." She looked at me like I was nuts, like, the *weather's* going
to be different 3 miles away?? LOL.

New England does have very *changeable* weather. People there have the
expression, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute." So I now say,
about San Francisco, "If you don't like the weather, cross the street."

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 5th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:49:10 +0000, bastXXXette wrote:

I discovered microclimates when I first visited San Francisco. It's so
hilly that the weather in one part of the city doesn't always reach other
parts. During that visit, I was staying with someone who lived in a foggy,
rainy, windy neighborhood. It looked like monsoon season out there. But
then I'd catch a bus to a neighborhood less than a mile away, and it would
be warm, sunny and calm. Weirdest thing I'd ever seen. I was from New
England, which doesn't have microclimates.

That's more "mesoclimate" than "microclimate" - it's a matter of scale:
mesoclimate is about climate on a scale of tens of yards/meters or more
while microclimate is about climates on a scale of a meter or less. A
neighborhood would have mesoclimate, the area under a bush is a
microclimate.

Yards and houses have many microclimates - bushes have several: the
ground, the canopy, etc.; a typical room has spots and elevations that are
different from each other. Under my bed there are a whole range of
microclimeates, from cold at one corner where the AC discharges to much
warmer near the opposite corner where the afternoon sun warms that end of
the house.

--
T.E.D. )