Otis got skunked - the Odyssey, Part II

Old July 31st 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Default Otis got skunked - the Odyssey, Part II

It was just a matter of time, having a resident skunk who we now figure
lives under the front deck, and a territorial cat with limited judgment.
We are going to have to trap the skunk for sure, since it appears that
he's moved in.

The burning stench went up and my antennae went up. Sure enough, I
opened the door and there was Otis - drooling and foaming, with his eyes
shut tight. Yikes.

I found the hydrogen peroxide, which was a bit of a panic for a few
minutes, had Fred look up the recipe, and was in business.

Now for the group "Awwwwww...."

.... there was Otis, drooling and eyes stuck shut, obviously in a world
of hurt, and, when I went upstairs and whistled for him, what did he do?
Hide under the couch? Run downstairs? NO - he came right up the
stairs and followed me into the bathroom. Awwwwwww......

After that, it went much less smoothly than with Chester. Which is a
bit of an understatement.

Remember how I wrote about how high Otis can jump? Well, we have a six
foot door on the shower and all 13 pounds of my 12 1/2 year old wet
slippery Otis kept jumping and jumping to try to get out. Guess who was
in the way? Guess who wasn't wearing a whole lot in the shower? Ouch.

He howled and yowled and, I would say, actually screamed. He didn't
mind the sudsing part at all as much as the rinsing part. I really had
to rinse and *didn't* avoid the eye area since he got a bunch so near to
there and I washed him close to his eyes. I know that hydrogen peroxide
is not good near the eyes. He was completely and totally soaked by the
time he was finished as I totally rinsed him over and over again. He
was a wet pet.

I towel dried him as much as I could and was pleased to see that his
eyes were open. He came down now and had a snack, which is always a
good sign. The worst of the smell is gone but, as with Chester, there's
a residual burning rubber after-burn.

Thought y'all might enjoy another Otis escapade. He usually has to do
things a few times to figure it out so we hope we can get this fellow
trapped in short order.

I'll be keeping a close eye on Otis throughout the night to make sure
his eyes and, I've read, his gums, are okay. Something about anemia -
but I think that's about dogs in enclosed skunk dens. I got him within
minutes of being sprayed in the open and got him cleaned up.

Wish us luck.

Take care,

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old July 31st 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Susan M" wrote in message
It was just a matter of time, having a resident skunk who we now figure
lives under the front deck, and a territorial cat with limited judgment.
We are going to have to trap the skunk for sure, since it appears that
he's moved in.

The burning stench went up and my antennae went up. Sure enough, I opened
the door and there was Otis - drooling and foaming, with his eyes shut
tight. Yikes.

Poor kid. Poor Susan and family. Otis is a good kitty, he really is Ma.

Pam S. sending sympathy thoughts and purrs from the owners

Old July 31st 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Susan M wrote:

It was just a matter of time, having a resident skunk who we now figure
lives under the front deck, and a territorial cat with limited judgment.
We are going to have to trap the skunk for sure, since it appears that
he's moved in.

The burning stench went up and my antennae went up. Sure enough, I
opened the door and there was Otis - drooling and foaming, with his eyes
shut tight. Yikes.

I found the hydrogen peroxide, which was a bit of a panic for a few
minutes, had Fred look up the recipe, and was in business.

Now for the group "Awwwwww...."

... there was Otis, drooling and eyes stuck shut, obviously in a world
of hurt, and, when I went upstairs and whistled for him, what did he do?
Hide under the couch? Run downstairs? NO - he came right up the
stairs and followed me into the bathroom. Awwwwwww......

That is sweet. He trusts his mommy! (And as I read on, I see that he soon
found out that perhaps that trust was misplaced. At least as far as
his comfort was concerned. He probably didn't figure out that in the
larger scheme of things, you were concerned about his welfare.)

I towel dried him as much as I could and was pleased to see that his
eyes were open. He came down now and had a snack, which is always a
good sign. The worst of the smell is gone but, as with Chester, there's
a residual burning rubber after-burn.

Is Chester laughing at him, and saying, "Better you than me again!"?

Wish us luck.

Good luck and lots of purrs!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 31st 08, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

On Jul 30, 9:58 pm, Susan M wrote:
[...]

Ahhhh yes....My mom's dog got skunked more than a few times... I
remember after the third time, after helping my mom with the peroxide
and baking soda, I looked Leia straight in the eye and asked,

"So have you learned by now?"

about two years later, when I had moved to southern california, I
called my mom and she answered the phone all bleary....she said Leia
had not only gotten skunked, but by the time she had jumped on the bed
and my mom smelled it, Leia had rubbed herself ALL OVER the carpet
downstairs.

Thank goodness she FINALLY figured it out.

Poor Otis! purrs he finally learns to leave a skunk alone..

Kristi
Old July 31st 08, 10:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Susan M wrote:
[...]

Ack! What a mess! At least you caught it early, but I'm sorry he fought
you over it. LOL. I can just picture the scene in the shower.

kili

Old July 31st 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Susan M wrote:
The burning stench went up and my antennae went up. Sure enough, I
opened the door and there was Otis - drooling and foaming, with his eyes
shut tight. Yikes.

Well, we were kind of expecting this to happen, weren't we?

Hide under the couch? Run downstairs? NO - he came right up the
stairs and followed me into the bathroom. Awwwwwww......

He is *such* a loverboy!!!

After that, it went much less smoothly than with Chester. Which is a
bit of an understatement.

LOL! Sorry, I can only imagine....

Wish us luck.

Lots of luck trapping that skunk. I highly recommend covering the trap
with a tarp, so that he/she does not spray you as you come pick the trap up.

Scritches for stinky-old-Otis.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 31st 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Susan M" wrote in message
[...]

Poor little feller-- glad the worst is over. Purrs for a full, quick
recovery.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 31st 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

aw, poor kitties! We will purr and pray that
the ordeal is not for long. Extra loving for
Otis.

Lily & her mama

from the stars we come
to the stars we return
from now until the end of time.

Old July 31st 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Susan M" wrote in message
[...]

OMG! Poor Otis - poor *you*!!

Purrs coming for you both!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 31st 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Susan M wrote:
It was just a matter of time, having a resident skunk who we now figure
lives under the front deck, and a territorial cat with limited judgment.

snip

Wish us luck.

Argh! I guess it had to happen. Purrs and lots of luck.

Chester got skunked Susan M[_3_] Cat anecdotes 20 June 11th 08 12:41 AM
Chester got skunked - Part II Susan M[_3_] Cat anecdotes 28 June 10th 08 09:58 PM
Part Lion.. Part Tiger IBen Getiner Cat health & behaviour 7 June 11th 05 03:35 AM
Otis Marcia Cat anecdotes 3 March 24th 05 05:57 PM
Josi, part Siamese, part Stegosaurus? Rainy-Day-Laughter Cat anecdotes 10 February 1st 04 04:29 PM