Reporting from a Hurricane

Old September 11th 17, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Reporting from a Hurricane

Buffy and I are fine. The power has blinked on and off a few times.
The winds are gusting to about 50 MPH and it's raining a lot.

A stubborn little hummingbird insists on coming around so I hung her
feeder back out. I figured if she can brave the storm she deserves to
eat. I even saw her hanging on for dear life on a branch in a nearby
bush as it tossed and turned. Then she went back to the feeder for a sip.

I've discovered a leak in the back corner window of my living room. I
heard "drip, drip, drip". Uh oh, that's inside! Sure enough. I've put
down towels and put some duct tape along the inside of the window. This
is going to be something that needs fixing after the storm.

Other than that, here on Saint Helena, it's just really windy and noisy
weather. Buffy is a tad more clingy than usual but otherwise she's
okay. I've got plenty of cat food and kitty litter so no worries there.

Jill

Old September 12th 17, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 12:45:27 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

We're all ok. Irma tookthe best path for my little town. It was far
enough west that we didn't get the major damage, but if it was any
furthur west it would have been over open water and been even
stronger.My friends on the west coast got mashed worse than us.

At the last day I did board up the windows - a huge mess because there
was hardly any good plywood so we were piecing thngs together. Then,
after 10 hours of work, I heard that it had shifted to the west. Maybe
my window efforts had some effect.

Our power flickered for hours, finally dying at 6:30 pm Sunday as Irma
was closing in. We figured that was it for a few weeks, but at 10pm it
suddenly came back on. So far, it's stayed on. But my mom doesn't have
power, nor my cousin, so mom was already moved in and now we'll
probably get my cousin, wife, and dog.

It's the animals that present the4 bigger challenge. Marlo, my former
cat, had trouble with another of my cats so she went to live with mom.
She's now living in the guest room with mom, but if my cousin and his
few move in, they'll get that room. Mom has no problem with my couch
(and has slept there a few times inadvertently) but I don't want Marlo
forced to mix with my cats again.

So, it's possible my cousin will move in with a friend of ours who
also has power (and a dog, cat and two new kittens). Otherwise, Marlo
gets to move back to mom's house since cats don't care about air
conditioning and don't seem to like it. Mom will go over to feed her
and give her her thyroid medicine. Mom keeps going over anyway to take
care of things. We had moved all kinds of stuff around in her house
because part of her house tends to flood. It didn't this time.

Well, that's the long report. Thanks for the purrs, they clearly
helped.