my cat was already cold when he died

Old December 26th 14, 09:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default my cat was already cold when he died

I took my cat to vet a week ago when I noticed a wound on leg.
Cat had been hiding, so I suspected something was wrong.
The vet opined it was from a cat fight, but it can't be as I always watched
him when I let him out for limited periods. He gave him antibiotic.
He continued hiding, and a Tuesday, I noticed his nose was bleeding, so
tooking him to local vet. They took a blood sample and said his platelet
count is very low, so his blood is not clotting. They transferred him to
a university vet hospital, which gave him a blood transfusion. They also
did further tests to determine cause of low platelets.
They released him to me on Christmas eve, he looked much better then.
Also gave me an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory, and special food for
convalescent cats. However, they were not able to get all the tests
analysed due to Christmas. Only told me that he did not have FeLV,
and ultrasound showed internal organs to be normal size.
The vet considered he would be better at home, because he seemed stressed
by hospital environment. However, he did not improve.
This morning, he went downhill quickly. He urinated on the floor, perhaps
too weak to get into litter tray. It was dark yellow, so I guess he had
not been drinking any water. He was laying on the floor for his final
hours. About half an hour before he died, his legs were twitching and
he arched his head back. Finally he coughed a few times and stopped breathing.
He was already cold when he died.
So I await the uni vets calling me on Monday with a diagnosis.
He was 12 years old, and the most affectionate cat I ever had.

Old December 26th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 00:37:26 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Oh, so sorry. It's so hard to tell what to do since they can't talk to
us. I'd be interested to know what they say.
Old December 28th 14, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~
This is so sad, but you did all you could do. It is clear that you gave him
a good life.

MaryL

Old February 14th 15, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

At least it died in a caring environment. That's a lot for a cat.

OT My uncle died Sharon & Smudgie Cat anecdotes 0 June 22nd 11 11:42 AM
Da microwaff died Gramby Cat community 6 June 19th 11 06:21 AM
OT - my dad died Cheryl Cat anecdotes 31 July 9th 09 04:21 AM
Christy Died jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 28 January 6th 09 06:45 AM
Dad Died (OT) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 53 March 8th 08 04:13 PM