Fatass Update, one month later...

Old June 28th 05, 04:44 PM

Default Fatass Update, one month later...

Hi Everyone ~

So Fats started with BUN 138, Cr 7.4, then two weeks later went down to
BUN 58, Cr 5.8.

Her weight stayed the same and her appetite slightly improved. We
switched her to lactated ringers instead of NaCl, keepint it at
150ml/day.

This issue is that she still isn't eating that well. A little bit of
canned in the morning, a little bit in the evening, and a bit of
grazing on dry treats throughout the day.

It has been hot here, like 90 and humid, which could explain some of
the lack of eating, but 1/2 the house (which she has acess to)is AC, so
I don't know.

She is using the litter box pretty well, both whizzing and dumping
regularly (except once when she ****ed in the bedroom - but that is
another thread.).

The other issue I am concerned about is the puking in the morning.
Every morning, she wakes me up happily, purring, playing with string,
then when we go downstairs to eat, she will have a few licks, then get
the heaves - hurling up just some liquid. This is like, every freakin'
morning.

I think I will start the pepcid back up again to see if it helps.

We are back to the vet on 7/5 for another blood test...Maybe I should
get the cypro this time...

Thoughts?

Bluesman

Old June 28th 05, 05:14 PM
Candace

I think I will start the pepcid back up again to see if it helps.

We are back to the vet on 7/5 for another blood test...Maybe I should
get the cypro this time...

Thoughts?

Have you read Helen's website
www.felinecrf.org? She has lots of
pointers on nausea in CRF cats, pepcid being one of the ideas.

I've always found the cyproheptadine to be very helpful. Start with
just 1/4 tab and up it if that doesn't work. 1/4 has always worked
with my cats and sometimes 1/2 makes them restless.

Good luck, it can be difficult with a CRF cat but it sounds like you
are doing well.

Candace

Old June 28th 05, 06:15 PM
Mary

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

After she heaves does she eat and keep it down?

Old June 28th 05, 11:19 PM
Trish Dunphy

wrote in message
[...]

Hopefully the pepcid will work well, I've been through CRF twice now and am
going through it again. Two of my cats who have since died needed pepcid to
keep food down and often had the watery vomit you describe above, the pepcid
helped stop the vomitting. My current cat (Sook) doesn't require it but
then again never vomits and is just plain finicky about his food (everyday
is a new food adventure). We've only ever used lactated ringers we buy
them in bulk from a wholesale store for medical supplies, it's much cheaper
this way. If I may give you some advice, from experience only, be very wise
iin the type of needle you buy, there are two common types, terumo and
precision glide. The terumo are excellent, however the precision glide
seems to puncture and jab rather than slide in gently. We've always used 18
guage as well. You may know everything I wrote here and I'm not trying to
sound like an expert, but throughout the past 5 years, I've had at least one
cat at a time with CRF, it sucks.

And I know I don't know you but if you ever want someone to share
experiences with or just vent you can e-mail me and I'll listen. Its a very
frustrating experience to go through, you love your cat yet hate what's
happening and it seems every week there is something new that needs to be
dealt with with CRF. But one thing I have found is that a special bond
grows between you and your cat, the cat depends on you and even with the
illness and exasperation, you know that you're helping your cat feel better.

I wish you the best of luck
Trish