Another copy-cat

Old January 7th 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Another copy-cat

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
I love how cats imitate the positions of those (other felines, humans,
dogs, whomever) around them:

http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overl...-and-baby.html

--
Joyce ^..^

Cute photo, *except* that the cat is morbidly obese. I hate to see
that.

MaryL

Hate to tell you this but cats can appear "morbidly obese" and not be
obese. I could look morbidly obese if the camera caught me at the right
angle. I weigh 119 lbs. Hardly what anyone could call obese

Jill

Well, if you take another look at that photo, the cat is clearly
overweight. Granted, camera angles can do strange things to our bodies,
but that one is pretty obvious. The cat is probably "owned" by people who
love him/her and either give lots of treats or permit free-feeding with
dry food. That works with some cats but leads to *fat cats* for others.
I'm just speculating her because I don't know anything about the feeding
habits for this cat except that it is clear that he is eating too
much--and my concern is for possible health issues, not "looks."

MaryL

Persia is a big cat. She eats prescription food. She gets exactly 1/2 cup
of dry food a day. 1/4 cup of food in the morning and 1/4 cup of food in
the evening. She gets 1/2 a can of wet food once a week in place of one of
the servings of dry kibble. I don't feed her treats; I don't give her
people food. She's fairly active for an indoor only cat. I toss toy
mousies to her and she chases them. We play together. She gets the
"zoomies" and races around the house like a nut. What would you suggest I
do? Cut her back to only 1/4 cup of food a day for her "health" because she
looks overweight? According to the vet she's perfectly healthy.

Jill

Old January 7th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
[...]

I was not talking about Persia, so I don't know why you personalized it like
that. Persia may be a "big cat" (your words), but I certainly would not
characterize her as morbidly obese. Take another look at the picture that I
*was* describing, and I don't know how anyone would see that cat as anything
other than obese. That cat is not "a little overweight" or "chubby"; it is
dangerously obese.

MaryL

Old January 7th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote in message
MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

it is clear that he is eating too much--and my concern is for possible
health issues, not "looks."

"I'm concerned for you health" is just politically correct speech for
"I don't like how you look".

Think about it. People are urged to eat "diet food" full of nasty
chemicals, to take diet pills, some of which have killed people (only
taken off the market *after* the deaths), others of which have caused
heart damage, addiction, and emotional instability, and to have their
bodies carved up so they can't eat more than a few tablespoonfuls at a
time, often having a life of poor nutrition, horrible digestive problems,
and sometimes even life-threatening medical issues. And it's all in the
name of "health".

Fortunately, nobody has proposed putting cats on speed or giving them
stomach-stapling operations, but as soon as there's some money in it,
you can be sure it will happen.

I'm all for healthy eating - for humans and cats. But when someone says
"I'm just concerned about your health" (or your cat's health) because they
think you or kitty are too fat, I'm pretty skeptical. Such people don't
exactly have a great track record of being seriously interested in health.
Not with the kinds of scary "solutions" that are usually offered. Get
away from me with that scalpel, doc.

Not saying I might not become concerned if one of my cats got a bit too
chubby, and I might cut down a bit on their food and try to get them
running around more. But there's so much hysteria about the "obesity
epidemic" right now that I don't trust anyone who gets all fired up and
righteous about it. Weight-loss is big business. Really *BIG* business -
in the multiple billions. Follow the money.

How come we never hear about the health dangers of pesticides,
antibiotics,
hormones, food additives and preservatives, and removal of the nutritious
parts of food by over-processing? Or about how sick people get from air,
water and ground pollution? I guess when someone comes up with a pill to
cure illnesses from environmental problems, then we'll hear about it.

--
Joyce ^..^

Of course, I was not talking about people, or about diet pills, or anything
else like what you discussed here. I was simply giving my reaction to a cat
that is obviously obese--far beyond being "chubby." Since we have direct
control over what our cats eat, there is not excuse (in my opinion) for
letting a cat get that heavy.

MaryL

Old January 7th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
[...]

I personalized it because you've never seen Persia splayed out like that cat
in the photograph is. I looked for a photo of her like that but I don't
have one readily available. Persia looks obese (by your standards) when
she's spread eagle like that. Granted, I don't have one of her next to a
human baby. But Persia looks pretty much like that cat if the photo is
taken from that angle in that pose. That's all I'm saying.

Jill

Old January 7th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 6, 9:12*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Jill- Hide quoted text -

I don't get where we made the leap to Persia. The cat in the photo is
too fat. Period. Look at
the span between her front legs. That's no camera trick.
I don't even care what the cat looks like, either. I used to think fat
cats were cute. I HAD one. That's
before I knew about hepatic lipidosis, diabetes, arthritis, etc. It's
really unhealthy.
Cats actually are supposed to have a wasitline. There's a poster in
our vet's office that's a indicator graph chart
of ideal weight vs. morbid obesity. Looking at the cat from above,
there should be a narrowing just after the last rib.

Sherry
Old January 7th 09, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 9:12 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I made the leap to Persia because she looks similar when she's splayed out
like that. If you look at Persia from above, there's definitely that
"narrowing after the last rib" you mention. Look at her splayed out with
her belly exposed she looks HUGE. You cannot judge a cat's health (or
weight) from a photograph. That cat may be obese, I don't know. But you
cannot judge a cat's health from a photo.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21675...46690505iMWvvG

She's perfectly healthy, but she sure looks fat, doesn't she?

Jill

Old January 7th 09, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

Of course, I was not talking about people, or about diet pills, or anything
else like what you discussed here. I was simply giving my reaction to a cat
that is obviously obese--far beyond being "chubby." Since we have direct
control over what our cats eat, there is not excuse (in my opinion) for
letting a cat get that heavy.

It's true, you weren't talking about people. There's a lot of the
same mentality, though. I just think there's a general preoccupation
with weight in this culture that has become, in my mind, a form of
hysteria. No reason it can't be projected onto our pets.

That said, I do agree that a cat's metabolism doesn't deal with fat
nearly as well as the human body can. Cats in the wild are generally
lean, whereas other primates come in many different sizes. Drastic
weight gains and losses aren't good for humans, but it's more of an
in-the-long-run kind of thing - if a person yo-yos a lot, they run
the risk of developing health problems down the road. Whereas a cat
could die from a single dramatic weight gain/loss.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old January 7th 09, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorrie S.

"jmcquown" wrote in message I
weigh 119 lbs. Hardly what anyone could call obese

Are you anorexic or something?

Old January 7th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorrie S.

news:4963f2e0$0$5485 Well, if you take another look at that photo, the cat
is clearly overweight.

Somebody told me a long time ago that if you shoot an obese cat with a
shotgun, they literally explode, and **** flies everywhere.

Old January 7th 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 6, 11:33*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

On Jan 6, 9:12 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

She doesn't look nearly as big as the cat in the photo. And I remember
reading for years
how concerned you have been about her weight. I hope the owners of the
cat in the photo
are as conscientious. Remember the photo that circulated about the 40-
something pound
cat? That's just sad. It's *hard* to get a cat to lose a few pounds,
but it's manageable to
keep them from gaining *more*.
I need to post a pic of Bosley standing next to Boots sometime. One
weighs 7 pounds, and
the othe weighs 22, and they are both lean. Bosley actually has a
waistline and you can see his
hip bones. I've seen a lot of big cats, but not one so TALL as he is.
Then there's Biskit, whom I
thought for years was tubby, then we shaved her and found out she's
actually quite tiny. It's all fur.

Sherry

Copy cat Adrian[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 November 6th 08 07:44 AM
COPY YAHOO PHOTO ALBUM murali_ks Cat anecdotes 16 July 17th 06 08:20 PM
Has anyone got a copy of this video?? O J Cat anecdotes 20 July 7th 04 09:04 PM