Coming and going, in and out

Old October 8th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

Default Coming and going, in and out

People with indoor/outdoor cats are familiar with how cantankerous cats
can be about coming and going. I have a cat flap, but Tigger can't use
it to come in because it requires a substantial leap to reach the
platform, and he's simply too obese to make the leap. Even going out, he
prefers using a door, if one is open (and he will often come running when
one is opened). Coming is has become something of a ritual: after dark,
he will come in only through the *front* door, and then only after I open
the storm door, call him, then *close* the storm door and reopen it. He
won't come in the first time the door is opened.

Chloe has taken her trick about making me open the kitchen window over
the planter shelf to come in to ridiculous lengths: after dark, she
refuses to come in through the back door, even if it is propped open and
she had to walk past it to get to the window shelf. She is also now
sometimes demanding that I let her out through the window.

Millie decides to go out as soon as I open the back door, but she
bypasses the door and uses the flap in the wall instead. She seldom goes
out through any door, but likes to come in through the front door, or the
back one if it is propped open.

Several of them, particularly Curly, Millie, Avery, Hilde, and Snooch,
like to come racing in through the front door when I open it for Tigger.

Mudpie will use the front door, but he refuses to step on the door mat.

--
Ted Davis )
Old October 9th 10, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Ted Davis wrote:
[...]

It sounds like they got together to train you to do as you are told.
Smart kitties. Best wishes. MLB
Old October 9th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Oct 8, 10:14*am, Ted Davis wrote:
[...]

Chloe and my Bootsie are alike. Boots will go out the door, but she
will only come back in through a window.
What really cracks me up is when it's raining and they're asking to
go out. I open the door, and they back up. Then they go to the
back door and meow. Like they think it might not be raining in
the *back* yard.

Sherry
Old October 9th 10, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

Chloe and my Bootsie are alike. Boots will go out the door, but she
will only come back in through a window.
What really cracks me up is when it's raining and they're asking to
go out. I open the door, and they back up. Then they go to the
back door and meow. Like they think it might not be raining in
the *back* yard.

If they didn't do this, they wouldn't be cats.

Joyce

--
Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Old October 9th 10, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

***

Lindy (RB) wouldn't use the cat door if I was in the kitchen, but she would
if I was elsewhere. When I was in the kitchen, she would just stand at the
door and wait for me to notice her and open it, if she wanted out. If she
wanted in, she would scrabble at the cat door, but wouldn't think of coming
through it if she knew I was on the other side of it.

Joy

Old October 9th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when Ted Davis wrote:
People with indoor/outdoor cats are familiar with how cantankerous cats
can be about coming and going.

Well, it's pretty obvious that you are well-trained.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old October 9th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 19:19:55 -0700, Sherry wrote:

Chloe and my Bootsie are alike. Boots will go out the door, but she will
only come back in through a window. What really cracks me up is when
it's raining and they're asking to go out. I open the door, and they
back up. Then they go to the back door and meow. Like they think it
might not be raining in the *back* yard.

Several of mine do that, but in our case, it works - not the yard, but a
considerable area outside the front door: the large (about 12 x 45 feet)
patio is fully roofed. The front porch is about 8x8 and raised about 3
feet, so it stays pretty dry even in severe blowing storms - under it
stays even dryer. Cats that get caught out when it rains sometimes
congregate there, though there are other sheltered areas (the garage and
under the workshop) nearby. They could come in through the cat flap, but
that is almost fully exposed (north exposure with only a foot and a half
of roof overhang above).

--
Ted Davis )