Update KFC (GW)

Old May 13th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Update KFC (GW)

She's been doing well, appetite wise, since she was home from hospital, but
her streaming green nose stuff has never cleared up properly, although not
quite so frequent.
However, I don't think she likes having it any more than I liked it last
night when she sat on my chest purring while I was watching TV. I watched
while a trail of green came from her nostril and got larger and larger and
started to bubble. I was torn between knowing what was going to happen and
not wanting to disturb her because she was comfortable. The not disturbing
won and the inevitable happened..
She sneezed it all over my face.

She didn't eat her breakfast this morning, so she had a visit to TED this
evening. She's had another long-acting antibiotic injection and an anabolic
steriod one to "give her a boost" I asked TED (a partner, really
experienced) if he was worried about her. He said "no, not all all, not
when you remember how she nearly died from it 3 weeks ago, she's doing very
well for her age."
I said "but her fur looks awful and she is so frail." He said "it's purely
cosmetic, she is fine."
We went on to talk about my dogs, which he remembers very well, as he
operated on some of them. He said "you do something right to get your dogs
as far as 20 yo and your cat to 22, I wish I knew that secret."

I like my vet.

Tweed

Old May 13th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John A

In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

[...]

This sounds to me like good news. You're obviously doing something
right. Long may the feisty old girl continue. Purrs from the brood.

John, servant to their Imperial SIamese Majesties, Rhia and Amy.
Old May 13th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On May 13, 2:02*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

This sure sounds like a herpes virus related upper respiratory
infection. If you can get to a health food store, buy Lysine in
*capsule* form (NOT pills-they taste icky) and mix 250-500 mg into
some stinky wet food twice a day. It will help clear this up.

From about.com:

"Treatment of Herpes/calicivirus may include antibiotics to ward off
secondary bacterial infections. Some veterinarians have found success
with Interferon, which helps to boost the immune system. Positive
results have also been found with the administration of l-lysine in a
dosage of 250-500 mg/day. Special attention should be paid to
nutrition with URI-infected cats. Because of nasal stuffiness, they
may not be able to smell their food, and refuse to eat. Sometimes
warming the food a bit will pep up the odor and entice the cat to eat.
Dehydration can be a real problem, so moist foods may be best for the
cat under treatment, as well as water given by eye-dropper, if
necessary."
Old May 13th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

As a long time sufferer of upper respiratory allergies I really
sympathies with KFCs current condition. I once had to give Zak nose
drops but I can't say if any of it made it into his nose.

Old May 13th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

I'm so glad to hear that - you definitely are doing something right.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 13th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Excellent news! Purrs revved up for KFC to feel much better.

Jill

Old May 13th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=[_2_]

PUUUUURS sent for KFC to feel better soon
Hug
Kyla and Mosey

"outsider" ...
"Christina Websell"

Old May 13th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:
[...]

I'm sure if KFC had a herpes-anything her vet would know about it. The cat
is 22 years old, or didn't you catch that part?

Jill

Old May 13th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

From about.com:

"Treatment of Herpes/calicivirus may include antibiotics to ward off
secondary bacterial infections. Some veterinarians have found success
with Interferon, which helps to boost the immune system. Positive
results have also been found with the administration of l-lysine in a
dosage of 250-500 mg/day. Special attention should be paid to
nutrition with URI-infected cats. Because of nasal stuffiness, they
may not be able to smell their food, and refuse to eat. Sometimes
warming the food a bit will pep up the odor and entice the cat to eat.
Dehydration can be a real problem, so moist foods may be best for the
cat under treatment, as well as water given by eye-dropper, if
necessary."

Thanks so much for this advice, I will ask my vet if there is a chance she
got herpes somehow. But wouldn't it have showed up earlier and not waited
until she was 22?
My feeling is that she is so old that her immune system is not working
properly, cats are not designed to live this long.
Anyway my vet saw her tonight has it all in hand and he thinks she is
amazing and we can keep her going for a while yet.

Tweed

Tweed

Old May 13th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Yes I "caught" that part. I'm not sure why you want to be so snotty
when I have done nothing but offer another option that might help KFC.
Did you know herpes can be caught at a young age and stays in the body
forever? Did you know stress or illness can cause an outbreak of it?
Did you know that "old"age" and a slowed down/compromised immune
system can create a situation where it can manifest? The fact is that
there are many vets that don't know or put much stock in the benefit
of herpes supplementation and don't bother to offer it as an option.
The fact that this vet overlooked this doesn't surprise me in the
least. At my clinic, every cat, young or old, that has signs of this
is automatically put on Lysine and the benefits are overwhelmingly
apparent.