Smokey RIP, ?/?/1992? - 5/16/2008

Old May 17th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep[_3_]

Default Smokey RIP, ?/?/1992? - 5/16/2008

TED said that even though she was responding to IV fluids, and even
ate some, they were 85-95% sure that it was cancer, and at her age
(and weakness due to problems eating) she may not survive a biopsy
surgery, let alone any kind of treatment. We didn't think it was fair
to force her through any of that, or to make her "live" and have the
food crammed down her throat every couple of hours (since her tongue
was so bad, she couldn't eat on her own any more) for a few more days/
weeks or however long she could have made it. We did the deed at
around 5:30pm Eastern Standard Time (US).

Smokey is, in theory, napping in the sun at the Rainbow Bridge, but
is, in reality, buried in the back yard (a couple yards from Ivy, RB
2002), with a package of Pounce treats, which were her favorite.

She was given to us in November of 1993, by a former co-worker that
was moving that couldn't (or just plain didn't want to) take her with,
and she was probably about a year old then.Se was front declawed,
but , we found out when she went into heat, not spayed - we quickly
remedied that. 4 years ago, she lost all 4 fangs after a trip to TED,
she had a couple of abscesses that caused that. She still continued
to eat kibble, though, and would jump over any doggy-gate that we had
to chase a tossed pounce treat, 9 out of 10 times without even
touching the gate, nor even brushing it with her belly fur. She would
come running when we shook the can, unless she was sleeping soundly
(which was more often as of late). She was the puke-queen, stole 1/2
the meat from a roast beef sandwich when I wasn't looking, and ate 3
"chicken" McNuggets that were left over and had not yet made it to the
fridge (actually managing to open the cardboard "clamshell" container
they were in).

Rest In Peace, ol' Anti-Social-She-B!itch-From Hell, you will be
missed.

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
She is at TED's now. They are doing a blood draw, and if a cortisone
shot and IV fluids perk her up, they will send the blood off for
analysis, and we will give her more of a fighting chance. If she
doesn't show signs of improvement, it may be time to put her down...
she's had a long (albeit mostly toothless) life, and according to the
cat-age calculator link someone posted, she's in her 80's!

On May 15, 8:37 am, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
It may (or may not be) time for her to go...

Her tongue seems to be getting worse - it may be cancer (TED said no
way to know for sure without a biopsy, shich we SHOULD have done when
she was out for the dental).... she darted out of the utility room
this morning (we've been keeping her there to keep the other cats out
of her gooshie fud), and made a beeline for the other food dishes. On
a whim, when I put her back there with her mush (goosie fud and
powdered KMR mixed), I grabbed a handfull of kibble - and she started
eating it!!! I guess if ol' toothless can get a kibble in her mouth
(she does have her tiny front teeth, but no fangs and maybe one molar
left) she can swallow it whole!

I'm calling TED later this afternoon to see what they say....

--
^..^ This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your signature to help her wipe out Bunny's world domination.

--
The ONE and ONLY
lefthanded-pathetic-paranoid-psychotic-sarcastic-wiseass-ditzy former-

Old May 17th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Rest In Peace, ol' Anti-Social-She-B!itch-From Hell, you will be
missed.

I am so very, very sorry.

Dan
Old May 17th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

You did the right, the courageous, and the most merciful thing one can do
with a beloved companion. I know Smokey will be the first to greet and thank
you someday for releasing her from her agonies. And I, in the meantime, offer
you and all Smokey's dear ones a prayer for peace.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old May 17th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
[...]

I am so sorry. We are sending all of you our best and most soothing purrs.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old May 17th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 16, 7:30*pm, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
TED said that even though she was responding to IV fluids, and even
ate some, they were 85-95% sure that it was cancer, and at her age
(and weakness due to problems eating) she may not survive a biopsy
surgery, let alone any kind of treatment. *We didn't think it was fair
to force her through any of that, or to make her "live" and have the
food crammed down her throat every couple of hours (since her tongue
was so bad, she couldn't eat on her own any more) for a few more days/
weeks or however long she could have made it. We did the deed at
around 5:30pm Eastern Standard Time (US).

MMJ, I am so sorry. She was a lucky kitty to have such a long
life with people who loved her so much.

Sherry
Old May 17th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Magic Mood Jeep wrote in
:

TED said that even though she was responding to IV fluids, and even
ate some, they were 85-95% sure that it was cancer, and at her age
(and weakness due to problems eating) she may not survive a biopsy
surgery, let alone any kind of treatment. We didn't think it was fair
to force her through any of that, or to make her "live" and have the
food crammed down her throat every couple of hours (since her tongue
was so bad, she couldn't eat on her own any more) for a few more days/
weeks or however long she could have made it. We did the deed at
around 5:30pm Eastern Standard Time (US).

Smokey is, in theory, napping in the sun at the Rainbow Bridge, but
is, in reality, buried in the back yard (a couple yards from Ivy, RB
2002), with a package of Pounce treats, which were her favorite.

My condolences. I felt the same way about Zak when I sent him off; could
not bear the thought of his last days consisting of forced feedings and
fluid injections.

Andy
Old May 17th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=

"Daniel Mahoney"
Rest In Peace, ol' Anti-Social-She-B!itch-From Hell, you will be
missed.

I am so very, very sorry.

Dan

I too am so very sorry.
Hug
Kyla

Old May 17th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
[...]

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm sure you did the right thing.

Old May 17th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
rrb

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
TED said that even though she was responding to IV fluids, and even
ate some, they were 85-95% sure that it was cancer, and at her age
(and weakness due to problems eating) she may not survive a biopsy
surgery, let alone any kind of treatment. We didn't think it was fair
to force her through any of that, or to make her "live" and have the
food crammed down her throat every couple of hours (since her tongue
was so bad, she couldn't eat on her own any more) for a few more days/
weeks or however long she could have made it. We did the deed at
around 5:30pm Eastern Standard Time (US).

My condolences on the loss of Smokey. Take care.

rrb
Old May 17th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message

Smokey is, in theory, napping in the sun at the Rainbow Bridge, but
is, in reality, buried in the back yard (a couple yards from Ivy, RB
2002), with a package of Pounce treats, which were her favorite.

I'm so sorry Nancy. Smokey sounds like a total cat and got the life she
deserved after you became her family. She'll be missed here and welcome at
the "Ghost Mouser."

Pam S.

RIP Smokey Randy Cat anecdotes 48 April 11th 07 03:52 AM
Smokey - RB Sam Cat anecdotes 54 March 4th 07 03:37 PM
Punkins: May 1, 1992 to October 5, 2005 Ray or Fran Cat community 21 October 19th 05 03:14 AM
My Mom, Smokey and Nox Enfilade Cat anecdotes 8 March 23rd 05 05:46 AM
My Smokey [email protected] Cats - misc 2 December 29th 03 10:34 PM