Tough love for baaad kittie

Old June 11th 04, 08:30 PM
gertrude

Default Tough love for baaad kittie

Ever have difficulty keeping kittie away from places in the house where
he/she isn't supposed to be?

In light of the fact that feline mommies typically carry their kittens about
by the skin at the rear of their necks, here's an effective but harmless way
to administer negative reinforcement to a misbehaving cat:

Simply grab a handful of the loose skin at about the mid-point of your cat's
back, and lift the cat away from where he or she isn't supposed to be. This
stern measure should be accompanied by some verbal exclamation that you must
always use very consistently. I use the harsh single-syllable word
"BAAAD!!". Any normal cat won't like this treatment and may reply with a
"Yee-ehhh! Ehhhh!" But don't worry. Your tough love does no physical harm to
the cat, nor does it harm your relationship with your cat either, because
he/she will get the message quickly, so that soon nothing more will be
necessary to drive kittie away from the forbidden place other than a repeat
of your verbal exclamation word (without grabbing). This technique works
quite well and in no way diminishes the unconditional love returned by
kittie to you.

If you find that grabbing-lifting of the loose skin at the central area of
the back is not stern enough to correct the bad behavior of an abnormally
obstinate kittie, then that only means that he/she may have an above average
pain threshold (similar variation among humans). In that case you must get
tougher; try adding a *very small* measure of shaking or tossing, or
grabbing-lifting by some other more sensitive body part (ears, tail, etc.).

Old June 12th 04, 12:23 AM
Mary

"gertrude" wrote in message
nk.net...
Interesting. However, confirmation from others is needed about the way a
kitten is carried by its mother, because right now it's your word against
mine.

Regardless though, I never recommended supporting a cat by the neck

portion
of its spine.

Gertrude--you are wrong, and you sound like an idiot, as well. Nobody should
ever pick a cat up by its skin.

Old June 12th 04, 02:02 AM

Gertrude wrote:
In that case you must get tougher; try
adding a *very small* measure of shaking
or tossing, or grabbing-lifting by some
other more sensitive body part (ears, tail,
etc.).

I'm aghast that you think "shaking
or tossing, or grabbing-lifting by some
other more sensitive body part (ears, tail,
etc.)" is an appropriate way to treat a cat and is good advice. I can
only assume that you have a sadistic side that controls your thoughts
and actions.

The methods you describe are unnecessary and abusive. Negative
reinforcement is a lousy concept that rarely works, and when it does the
response is based on fear and/or pain rather than a desire to exhibit
good behavior. Positive reinforcement and distraction techniques are
much more effective. Anyone that would recommend methods that involve
inflicting physical pain, hostility and fear, especially on a cat that
is about 1/15th the size of a human or smaller, is nothing short of an
animal abuser. You included.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old June 12th 04, 02:14 AM
Luvskats00

I hope nobody actually follows this advice. It's given by a jerk who hides
behind a phony address. I wouldn't resort to shaking a cat as a form of
discipline. I would, however, have no problem suggesting that
jump off a bridge.