Question About Holiday Card List

Old October 22nd 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Darnit!! (WAS: Question About Holiday Card List)

Yowie wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
I read the last count of people on the list. I see already I didn't
order enough cards It's too late in the year to order more. I
can barely leave Mom alone long enough to go grocery shopping let
alone run around town looking for cards. Maybe I should just opt out
this year.

Some people make their own cards in a crafty way (if you don'thave
alot of time, probably not for you), others use their printer to make
cards. And others have used photographs of their kitties as
postcards, and others Ithink must use a really cool card making
service that takes a photo file and turns it into a store-bought
loking card. Some have just photocopied a scene onto coloured photo
copy paper, added a couple fo stickers and signed the back. Some
people send out as many as they can before Christmas, and then when
they get a chance, send out the remaining amount *after* Christmas.
And I buy my cards at the discount store in boxes of 100, no expense
spared for you guys :-).
So, don't worry if you don't have enough cards or that they don't all
match. It is, after all, the thought that counts :-)

Yowie

Problem is, I just don't have the time to make cards. It is taking all of
my time just to take care of my mother. She's like a 3 year old, always
needing something. I rush through the grocery store because I worry about
her falling and breaking something (even though she's using a walker. And
none of this is going to change any time soon, I'm afraid. I'll do what I
can.

Jill

Old October 22nd 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Question About Holiday Card List

Yowie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

I'm confused about how I'm going to receive the list for mailing out
cards this year. Via email?

Yes.

I'm also going to try to work on somehow creating an e-card. I'm not
sure I ordered enough cards and don't want anyone to be left out. I
don't know if I'll find the time to fuss with it, though. I don't
have much time these days.

I enrol my trusty computer and printer to help me with it. With my own
personal card list as well, I sent out 83 cards last year. It took
approimately 3 hours to do all the cards. The worst part one year was
the stamps, but now they are self-adhesive and don't need to be
licked.

Thanks, that helps. I can't seem to find 3 hours in a week when I have a
moment to myself. I even bought a baby monitor so I can get up during the
night if my mother calls for me.

Jill

Old October 23rd 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

jmcquown wrote:
Yowie wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Would you prefer to be put on the "receive only" section, and just send out
cards if and when you can or want throughout the year?

Or just withdraw this year?

The Exchange should be a joy, not a burden. Don't want to make life harder
for you.

Yowie

Old October 23rd 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

jmcquown wrote:
Yowie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

I'm confused about how I'm going to receive the list for mailing out
cards this year. Via email?

Yes.

I'm also going to try to work on somehow creating an e-card. I'm
not sure I ordered enough cards and don't want anyone to be left
out. I don't know if I'll find the time to fuss with it, though. I
don't have much time these days.

I enrol my trusty computer and printer to help me with it. With my
own personal card list as well, I sent out 83 cards last year. It
took approimately 3 hours to do all the cards. The worst part one
year was the stamps, but now they are self-adhesive and don't need
to be licked.

Thanks, that helps. I can't seem to find 3 hours in a week when I
have a moment to myself. I even bought a baby monitor so I can get
up during the night if my mother calls for me.

Receive only for you this year, then?

Yowie

Old October 23rd 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_2_]

I will be trying to design my Christmas cards soon. Woodgie is not really
good about being photographed, but we may try the Santa Claws thing
again.... I always print my own cards with some help from American
Greetings.com , which formats then and I can use their templates and some of
their designs and clip art... And a year's worth of using it is less than a
few store-bought cards...I don't work for them, but I like 'em!

--
/\.../\
('.')

Kathy P. & Woodgie

"Yowie" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:
I'm confused about how I'm going to receive the list for mailing out
cards this year. Via email?

I'm also going to try to work on somehow creating an e-card. I'm not
sure I ordered enough cards and don't want anyone to be left out. I
don't know if I'll find the time to fuss with it, though. I don't
have much time these days.

Jill (aka jillian726 on the card list)

[...]

If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old October 23rd 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Kathy" wrote in message
. ..
I will be trying to design my Christmas cards soon. Woodgie is not really
good about being photographed, but we may try the Santa Claws thing
again.... I always print my own cards with some help from American
Greetings.com , which formats then and I can use their templates and some
of their designs and clip art... And a year's worth of using it is less
than a few store-bought cards...I don't work for them, but I like 'em!

--
/\.../\
('.')
(")_(")

Kathy P. & Woodgie

I participated for several years, and I also designed my own. I didn't even
use a greeting card service. I simply used some of my own photos, inserted
them in WordPerfect (so, not a graphics program, either), added some text
and sometimes did an Internet search for a few extra symbols (for example,
the year when I wanted to add a bar of some music). I used double-sided
matte paper, printed both sides, and bought envelopes of the size where I
could simply fold the paper in half for mailing. All of this actually took
quite a lot of time and a lot of toner -- it would be easier and cheaper to
buy some inexpensive cards and send those.

MaryL

Old October 23rd 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Yowie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

I've been on the Receive Only list for so long I'm starting to feel like a
moocher But yes, for now. I really think my mother would get a kick out
of seeing some of the cards. Meanwhile, I'll try to find the time to make
an e-card. I don't have the same software on this PC as I have at home so
there will be a learning curve, too. Arrrgh! LOL

Jill

Jill

Old October 23rd 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Oct 22, 5:18�pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Yowie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Jill, were you not able to find a part-time nurse or sitter? Even
three
hours a day, twice a week would give you some respite. They're
available here, trained, bonded and licensed for around $18 an hour.
Independent "sitters" are much cheaper of course -- maybe your
mother's friends or the local senior citizens center can recommend
someone reliable.

Sherry

Sherry
Old October 23rd 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

I decided on an agency and in fact am meeting with the social worker again
tomorrow to finalize some things. And yes, that hourly rate is pretty
standard. They are licensed bonded employees (CNA's) not contractors. And
(unlike all the other agencies I interviewed) they don't have a 4-hour
minimum or a long-term contract requirement.

But for now this service is going to be primarily for personal care
(bathing, washing her hair, they'll rub lotion on her skin, stuff like that)
once a week. I don't know how that will work, really. I *do* know when the
nurse and physical therapist come out they expect me to be right there to
answer questions, hence I'm interrupted a lot. Probably won't be that way
with the CNA doing personal care but never having dealt with this before
what do I know?

The senior center could only recommend a former employee of theirs as a
"sitter". That was SOOOO not going to work. She was a very sweet lady.
But she had no references other than having worked at the senior center.
And she rattled off a litany of rather major health problems of her own,
saying she was trying to get SSDI. She said her daughter just moved back in
with her two kids and she had to take them to school and pick them up, take
them to activities, etc. Setting a schedule would have been difficult, and
consistency is very important when dealing with Mom. It was also pretty
obvious she and Mom weren't going to make a good fit personality-wise.

The big hurdle is Mom is soooo adverse to having [yet another] stranger[s]
come into her house. I hired Merry Maids to come out and do a "spring
cleaning" last week. Mom made me lock up our purses. I understand that but
she's rather paranoid about it, ya know? I'm not sure how she'd react if I
told her the CNA was going to stay here with her while I went to the store,
which is definitely part of the service offered. I desperately need that
part of the service but I don't want to freak her out!

Jill

Old October 23rd 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Yowie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

I'm sure you could use the break at this point.

Even if you didn't use the time to go do things. Last week my
daughter was on vacation, but I went on Friday as usual to care for my
granddaughter. I figured her mom needed some time off from 'being
responsible' no matter how she decided to spend it.

She went upstairs and took a nap, for almost four hours. And I'm sure
that was what she needed to do, uninterrupted, the most.

Jo