Are your cats fighters?

Old October 19th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Are your cats fighters?

For those who cats go outdoors
Kitty FC would fight any cat that came in her garden when she was younger,
except for one black cat that she took a shine to. They used to sleep
together in the toolshed, but she fell out with him for some reason.

I was surprised when she allowed Boyfie to step one foot in her territory,
but she seemed to like him, even enough to allow him into her house.

Boyfie got bitten by somecat last year and my vet asked me if he was a
fighter. Boyfie fight? I think not. He was picked on from some feral
passing through. He doesn't have a fight in him. He's gentle and the idea
of a fight doesn't even occur to him.

If you have outdoor cats, do they fight with with others who come into their
territory?

Tweed

Old October 19th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
For those who cats go outdoors
Kitty FC would fight any cat that came in her garden when she was
younger, except for one black cat that she took a shine to. They
used to sleep together in the toolshed, but she fell out with him
for some reason.

I was surprised when she allowed Boyfie to step one foot in her
territory, but she seemed to like him, even enough to allow him into
her house.

Boyfie got bitten by somecat last year and my vet asked me if he was
a fighter. Boyfie fight? I think not. He was picked on from some
feral passing through. He doesn't have a fight in him. He's gentle
and the idea of a fight doesn't even occur to him.

If you have outdoor cats, do they fight with with others who come
into their territory?

Tweed

Dammit Sam 1968-1985, was a fighter. And he considered the world his
territory. He seemed to do it for the shear joy of the fight. I paid
the vet bills and learned to treat minor abscesses myself. Oh, and
for almost all that time, he had a three inch steel pin holding one of
his back legs together. He also scaled 6 foot fences all the time.
Went up and down trees etc. He had acres of walnut trees and almond
trees to hunt in, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

None of our other cats would go out of their way to pick a fight,
these two are such wimps they count on Kayla to run pushy neighbor
cats out of the yard.

Henry even had a neighbor tuxedo that would come over in the mornings
to 'see if he could come out to play' and the two of them would spend
the day together hunting and wrestling like a couple of kids.

Jo

Old October 19th 08, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
For those who cats go outdoors
Kitty FC would fight any cat that came in her garden when she was
younger, except for one black cat that she took a shine to. They
used to sleep together in the toolshed, but she fell out with him for
some reason.
I was surprised when she allowed Boyfie to step one foot in her
territory, but she seemed to like him, even enough to allow him into
her house.
Boyfie got bitten by somecat last year and my vet asked me if he was a
fighter. Boyfie fight? I think not. He was picked on from some
feral passing through. He doesn't have a fight in him. He's gentle
and the idea of a fight doesn't even occur to him.

If you have outdoor cats, do they fight with with others who come
into their territory?

Tweed

Mine doesn't go outdoors but she sure is a fighter! She tumbled out my
screen door when a stray wandered onto the patio back home. She hisses and
spits when she sees the cats I'm "sitting". Before she came to me someone
tore a piece out of her ear; there's a nice little tear there with it was
stitched back up and a small notch missing. I'd said she's a fighter,
alright. And the poor thing doesn't even have any front claws

Jill

Old October 19th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Sammy is a really calm, laid-back cat now although in his earlier life
he was said to have gotten into fights, and one of them was bad enough
to leave a scar across one eyelid - some cat nearly got his eye!

Mandy (RB) was a very aggressive cat. That sounds a bit wrong; she
didn't actually *start* fights (from her point of view, anyway), but she
didn't take any nonsense either, and fought like a demon against any
human who tried to make her do something she didn't want to do, and
against any animal who invaded her territory (this included animals she
couldn't actually reach, like ones she could see through a window across
the road; her 'territory' was everywhere she could see or get to).

In theory, she was an indoor-only cat, but she was quick on her paws and
got out sometimes. She was never injured by a cat or dog, but she was
nearly killed by a car once. I always figured she decided she had right
of way and attacked the car!

Cheryl
Old October 19th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

My three are indoor and spat at each other but, nothing serious. Guess they
are Lovers not Fighters. Takes too much energy to fight and O T might lose
an ounce if he exerts himself that much.

Old October 19th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Oct 18, 8:23�pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
For those who cats go outdoors
Kitty FC would fight any cat that came in her garden when she was younger,
except for one black cat that she took a shine to. �They used to sleep
together in the toolshed, but she fell out with him for some reason.

I was surprised when she allowed Boyfie to step one foot in her territory,
but she seemed to like him, even enough to allow him into her house.

Boyfie got bitten by somecat last year and my vet asked me if he was a
fighter. � Boyfie fight? �I think not. �He was picked on from some feral
passing through. He doesn't have a fight in him. �He's gentle and the idea
of a fight doesn't even occur to him.

If you have outdoor cats, do they fight with with others who come into their
territory?

Tweed

Does thinking she's my Guardcat count? I almost never see cats outside
here. And haven't heard a catfight here in six years.

There is a large plush gray and white cat that is let out under
supervision. He/she looks very well cared for. Yesterday he/she
wandered on to my patio yesterday.
Suz&Spicey
Old October 19th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote:
For those who cats go outdoors
Kitty FC would fight any cat that came in her garden when she was younger,
except for one black cat that she took a shine to. *They used to sleep
together in the toolshed, but she fell out with him for some reason.

I was surprised when she allowed Boyfie to step one foot in her territory,
but she seemed to like him, even enough to allow him into her house.

Boyfie got bitten by somecat last year and my vet asked me if he was a
fighter. * Boyfie fight? *I think not. *He was picked on from some feral
passing through. He doesn't have a fight in him. *He's gentle and the idea
of a fight doesn't even occur to him.

If you have outdoor cats, do they fight with with others who come into their
territory?

Tweed

I remember years ago the way my daughter's cat used to interact with
neighborhood cats. It was really odd. Some cats were his "friends",
and they'd
lie together on the porch and such. His best friend was Skittles, and
Skittles hung around our house more than he did his own. But one big
black cat Dimitri was his arch enemy. These were all neutered males
and females. I always thought it very curious how some cats were his
enemies, and some his friends.
There's enough scrapping *indoors* sometimes to suit me. Boots is
alwalys picking on Biskit. Bosley is always picking on Yoda. If there
is a scrap going on, Bosley or Boots is the instigator. Biskie is
*very* passive, as is Yoda. Frank only jumps into the fray when a
scrap is already started.

Sherry
Old October 20th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
For those who cats go outdoors
Kitty FC would fight any cat that came in her garden when she was younger,
except for one black cat that she took a shine to. They used to sleep
together in the toolshed, but she fell out with him for some reason.

I was surprised when she allowed Boyfie to step one foot in her territory,
but she seemed to like him, even enough to allow him into her house.

Boyfie got bitten by somecat last year and my vet asked me if he was a
fighter. Boyfie fight? I think not. He was picked on from some feral
passing through. He doesn't have a fight in him. He's gentle and the idea
of a fight doesn't even occur to him.

If you have outdoor cats, do they fight with with others who come into
their territory?

Tweed

Woodgie doesn't fight, but boy, she gives 'em hell. She'll hiss and spit and
growl and puff herself all up and try to stare the other cat down, but will
not attack, other than to chase. She turns tail (literally ) if she's chased
back. We're trying to keep her in, since now she thinks she can go out into
the street because "the other cat" did it....Not our cat, BTW...
/\.../\
('.')
(")_(") Kathy and Woodgie

Old October 20th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christina Websell wrote:

If you have outdoor cats, do they fight with with others who come into their
territory?

My cats go outdoors on the island in the summer.

Nikki was my little fighter. She hated all other cats except Frank (and
she was beginning to accept Miranda just before she died). She was just
like KFC - small, black and white, and no one dared to mess with her.

Caliban is the mellow kind. If someone threatens him, he flops down on
the ground: 'please don't hate me.' Mir is a tease. She prances by one
of the 'big boys' to make them chase her. If they don't oblige her, she
stops and looks back incredulously, as if she can't believe they're not
taking the bait. If one of them does chase her, she runs away, screaming
to high heaven as if she's being mauled, though the chaser never gets
near her.

The 'big boys' are my sister's cat Linus and my niece's cat Kasper
(Mir's half-uncle). They have their border negotiations each summer -
they will meet on the borders of their territories and posture and howl
at each other, but they hardly ever get to fisticuffs - pawsicuffs?
Unfortunately, the border between their territories is very near the
shack where I sleep, and they tend to have their negotiations in the
middle of the night, so I'm frequently waked by their howling. It's
funny, though, while slightly scary, because they can both look so very
menacing if they want to. They're complete loves with their respective
Meowmies, of course.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old October 20th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral[_2_]

On Oct 18, 6:23*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
For those who cats go outdoors
Kitty FC would fight any cat that came in her garden when she was younger,
except for one black cat that she took a shine to. *They used to sleep
together in the toolshed, but she fell out with him for some reason.

I was surprised when she allowed Boyfie to step one foot in her territory,
but she seemed to like him, even enough to allow him into her house.

Boyfie got bitten by somecat last year and my vet asked me if he was a
fighter. * Boyfie fight? *I think not. *He was picked on from some feral
passing through. He doesn't have a fight in him. *He's gentle and the idea
of a fight doesn't even occur to him.

If you have outdoor cats, do they fight with with others who come into their
territory?

Tweed

Mostly my girls only have one another to fight, and their fights are
(I think) mostly just play with an occasional hiss-spit argument. But
there is a stray male who sometimes torments them by strolling in
their sight and smell across THEIR back patio. There is much growling,
narrowed eyes and inflated tails when he is spotted. Francesca
sometimes insults him through the window or door screens. I'm not
sure she'd be so bold if she did not feel secure inside her "castle"
=o)

Melissa