Cat peeing outside box

Old February 5th 13, 07:16 AM
cat182 cat182 is offline
Junior Member

Default Cat peeing outside box

I have a 14 year old male cat that pees outside the litter box every few days. I have three boxes and I keep them cleaned often. I think he's having neurological issues, but perhaps it's something else.
I plan on taking him to the Vet in a few days.
I thought I'd get some feedback from others here first before the visit. This way I can enter the Vet office armed with proper questions.

What have others experienced in this situation?
Old February 5th 13, 08:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

cat182 wrote:
I have a 14 year old male cat that pees outside the litter box every
few days. I have three boxes and I keep them cleaned often. I think
he's having neurological issues, but perhaps it's something else.
I plan on taking him to the Vet in a few days.
I thought I'd get some feedback from others here first before the
visit. This way I can enter the Vet office armed with proper
questions.

What have others experienced in this situation?

We have this problem from time to time with one or the other of our cats,
especially whan they get old. We have tried putting their cat box in the
garage, where it doesn't matter so much. Also, you can put a garage-type
drip pan under the litter box inside your house to protect the floor. (these
are usually aluminum and can be purchased in an auto supply store.) Or, put
the litter box in either the kitchen or a bathroom where the floor is
designed for water damage. A friend of mine, who had inside cats, built a
"cateo" next to his garage, and his cats could go out there through a cat
door at their pleasure.

Old February 5th 13, 07:48 PM
cat182 cat182 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
cat182 wrote:[color=blue][i]
We have this problem from time to time with one or the other of our cats,
especially whan they get old. We have tried putting their cat box in the
garage, where it doesn't matter so much. Also, you can put a garage-type
drip pan under the litter box inside your house to protect the floor. (these
are usually aluminum and can be purchased in an auto supply store.) Or, put
the litter box in either the kitchen or a bathroom where the floor is
designed for water damage. A friend of mine, who had inside cats, built a
"cateo" next to his garage, and his cats could go out there through a cat
door at their pleasure.
While we sleep, we have the cats quarantined to a room with tile floors. Easy to clean, just time consuming to deal with.
Here are images of the litter boxes, and the floor (if interested):
http://s1254.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
Old February 6th 13, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jesse

On 2013-02-05 06:16:31 +0000, cat182 said:

I have a 14 year old male cat that pees outside the litter box every few
days. I have three boxes and I keep them cleaned often. I think he's
having neurological issues, but perhaps it's something else.
I plan on taking him to the Vet in a few days.
I thought I'd get some feedback from others here first before the visit.
This way I can enter the Vet office armed with proper questions.

What have others experienced in this situation?

There are several other medical conditions which can cause a cat to
urinate outside the box, but the most likely suspect is a urinary tract
infection. Some of the most common causes include:

Urinary tract infection
Unclean litter box (or not clean enough for the cat's standards)
Disruption in normal routine or some added stressor in the environment

Since there are several other underlying medical conditions which can
cause this behavior it is best to consult your vet. There are routine
tests that vets will perform when owners report this problem, and
generally the first test is for UTIs.

Keep us posted!

Cheers,
Jesse

Old February 6th 13, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jesse

On 2013-02-05 06:16:31 +0000, cat182 said:

[...]

Oh I forgot one thing… have you changed the brand or type of litter you
use recently? Some cats can be very peculiar about what kind of litter
they are willing to put up with on a daily basis.

-Jesse

Old February 16th 13, 07:26 PM
cat182 cat182 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Oh I forgot one thing have you changed the brand or type of litter you
use recently? Some cats can be very peculiar about what kind of litter
they are willing to put up with on a daily basis.

-Jesse
We haven't seen him do it in action, but it's clearly not a mistake of "hanging" over the box. He picks a perimeter wall and does his thing. He's hit about 4 or 5 different spots along the wall. We thought he might be seeing cats outside and he is marking his territory, so we closed ALL of the blinds so he can't see out. We've done this for about 4 days, but this morning we woke up to pee on the floor near one of the perimeter walls. I think he's just losing his marbles. He's been pooping outside the box for almost a year. The Vets never figured out why he is doing that. We've been living with it. But, cat pee is a different story.

I have to get him to the Vet, but it's so expensive. Probably do the UTI tests, but might consider a blood test too if it's not expensive. If they can't figure it out, then it's time to weigh the pro/cons of euthanasia. So sad.
Old February 17th 13, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

cat182 wrote:
Jesse;802653 Wrote:

[...]

You might try putting a, "wall" on one side of his litter box.....
Old February 17th 13, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Bill Graham wrote:
cat182 wrote:
Jesse;802653 Wrote:

[...]

Or, try all three sides... (but not the entrance)
Old February 19th 13, 06:18 AM
cat182 cat182 is offline
Junior Member

Test results were all negative.
Blood results were normal.
UTI results were normal.
Vet suggested we take him to a Neurologist. That route is too expensive.
Instead, we are going to try a few cheap alternatives.
The first thing we are going to do is change the litter to "Cat Attract".
The next step is to try a cat calming collar. "Good Behavior Calming Collar for Cats" by Sentry seems like a logical choice since it's only $12 and theoretically lasts for 30 days.
After this, we will try steroids (assuming he has brain issues). However the possible side effects of loose/runny stools doesn't appeal to us.
Wish us luck!
Old February 19th 13, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Monday, February 18, 2013 11:18:15 PM UTC-6, cat182 wrote:
Test results were all negative.

Blood results were normal.

UTI results were normal.

Vet suggested we take him to a Neurologist. That route is too

expensive.

Instead, we are going to try a few cheap alternatives.

The first thing we are going to do is change the litter to "Cat

Attract".

When I've used the Cat Attract litter, we've had good results.

You might consider using a Spirit Essence. We used an anxiety one for our middle cat and it did help: http://www.spiritessences.com

Lastly, ask your vet about putting him on a low-dose antidepressant. When my childhood cat got elderly (she lived to age 19), she urinated outside of the box regularly, among other cognitive symptoms like staring in the corner and meowing loudly for no apparent reason. My parents' vet prescribed an antidepressant and while it wasn't 100% effective it helped a lot--she lives two more years. Here is a good article about feline cognitive disorder: http://www.fabcats.org/owners/elderly/senility.html (see the section about management).