Tee hee...My Honey and Joe Kitty

Old May 3rd 04, 11:50 PM
Dan M

But now my father has his own cat and he's just nuts about him. This cat
takes long walks with my father, which my dad, being somewhat new to cat
behavior (even though he lived with them in our family, he tried to avoid
them as much as possible), thinks is completely unique and that Baxter is
an amazing cat. I don't have the heart to tell him that many other cats
do this, although it's true it's not the norm. I met Baxter on my last
visit last month, and he's very, very cute. Long, lanky brown tabby who
likes to roll around in the dirt. I just find it very sweet that this
long-time dog-person has gotten so attached to a cat. He calls Baxter "a
dog in a cat suit."

About the only good thing I can say about my ex-wife is that she
introduced me to cats. Prior to meeting Vera, I was strictly a dog
person. I didn't dislike cats, I just had never spent any time with them
so didn't care for them either way.

Once I started dating her, though, I quickly found out how wonderous
kitties are. After getting home from work and taking care of the chores
that needed to be done, I'd collapse onto a chair in the living room and
her Himalayan female, Cassandra, would curl up on my lap and I'd start
petting her. A couple hours later Vera would walk past and say "you're
STILL petting that cat?" and sure enough, I'd still be petting. It just
felt completely natural.

Since that time I've never been without a cat, and can't imagine life
without feline companionship.

Dan

Old May 4th 04, 02:54 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article ,
at wrote on 5/3/04 5:21
PM:

Takayuki wrote:

"Duke of URL" wrote:

And then of course the most famous example is Rush Limbaugh, who never
liked cats, who *only* ever had to do with dogs. Then he married and
they got a pair of Abyssinians... It's hilarious to hear his occasional
typical catslave babbling about his little darlings!

He sounds like a wonderful person.

Rush Limbaugh sounds like a wonderful person? Ewww, you can't mean
that, Tak!

Now TBird's Honey is another matter. He does sound like a nice person.

You can add my dad to this list of former non-cat-people. All through
my childhood my father was just barely tolerant of the cats that came
and went in my house. My mom liked to take in strays, and all 3 of us
kids adored them. He was helpless against 4 females looking all sad-eyed
and saying, "Please daddy, can't we keep him/her/them??" The best
time was when we took in a pregnant stray, got to see the kittens one
day after they were born, and kept them until they were 4 weeks old.
(Barbaric, I know, but this was the mid-1960s, and a lot of people,
including vets, believed that kittens were old enough to be separated
from their mother at 4 weeks!)

Anyway, all the while, my dad would grumble and complain about all the
cats underfoot, and occasionally he'd put his foot down and order this
or that stray, or group of cats, to be taken to the shelter. We always
had at least one officially-adopted-from-the-humane-society cat, who was
allowed to stay.

But now my father has his own cat and he's just nuts about him. This cat
takes long walks with my father, which my dad, being somewhat new to cat
behavior (even though he lived with them in our family, he tried to avoid
them as much as possible), thinks is completely unique and that Baxter is
an amazing cat. I don't have the heart to tell him that many other cats
do this, although it's true it's not the norm. I met Baxter on my last
visit last month, and he's very, very cute. Long, lanky brown tabby who
likes to roll around in the dirt. I just find it very sweet that this
long-time dog-person has gotten so attached to a cat. He calls Baxter "a
dog in a cat suit."

That's what my dad used to call my cat Sooty!!

Also, there's a book called "My Cat Spit McGee", by Willie Morris, which
is the autobiographical tale of a cat-hater (himself) who married a woman
with cats and proceeded to form a deep bond with a cat. Good story!

Joyce

Old May 4th 04, 02:54 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article ,
at wrote on 5/3/04 5:21
PM:

Old May 4th 04, 03:27 AM
Takayuki

Takayuki wrote:

wrote:

Rush Limbaugh sounds like a wonderful person? Ewww, you can't mean
that, Tak!

Heehehe, right on cue.

Hey! Did you do that on purpose?? So glad not to have disappointed you!

Sorry Joyce, I couldn't help it.

I don't think my politics are a mystery to anyone within hearing or
reading distance of my opinions.

I don't know if you're arrogant (you don't seem so), and perhaps you're
a capitalist, but I kinda doubt you're anything close to a nazi!

How'd you end up with a white supremacist as a good friend? I can deal
with people disagreeing with me, we all have different ideas about what
will solve society's problems - but I would find overt racism like that
just too offensive to be around. How do you deal with your differences?
Do you just not talk about race issues, or do you debate with each other
respectfully, or do you have screaming fights about it? Just curious.

I'm glad that I'm not a Nazi, because I think of being a Nazi as being
a kind of perverse opposite of how you're supposed to be. Like
normally, we respect court judges for their fairness, and medical
doctors for their compassion. But Nazi judges use meathooks and Nazi
doctors perform vivisections, so it's like they're from some parallel
alien universe. That must be why the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld was so
funny - because he was the opposite of what a soup cook is supposed to
be like. (Actually, I've never seen Seinfeld, but I've read about the
show.)

Regarding the white supremacist, I've actually lost touch with him -
I'll have to try and look him up! We used to have lunch often, and
yes, we discussed race relations a lot, but no, it was never even
slightly strained or uncivil. I mean, that's how he defined himself -
he was Republican and a white supremacist. You can't avoid it because
he can hardly make a sentence without including those two very
important facts. Still, he was very bright and well read, so could
support his views very well.

I remember the first time we met, I introduced myself to him, and he
looked me up and down and said, "Even though you are not white, your
race's economic goals are similar to ours." Of course, I realized
right away that his thinking was very different from mine, so I picked
his brain every day over lunch after that. I'm always eager to learn
a new point-of-view. He told me that the Japanese have a good model
for a conservative single-race country, and that it would be a good
idea for the United States to adopt policies along those lines.

Geez, I can't believe I'm going so off topic talking about my
non-existent wishy-washy belief system.

Old May 4th 04, 03:41 AM
Victor Martinez

Takayuki wrote:
I remember the first time we met, I introduced myself to him, and he
looked me up and down and said, "Even though you are not white, your
race's economic goals are similar to ours." Of course, I realized
right away that his thinking was very different from mine, so I picked

I would have turned around and never looked back. I refuse to socialize
with people who think their "race" is superior to others. I have zero
tolerance for bigotry of any kind.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he