Ping: Tweed - your arm

Old October 14th 12, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Tweed - your arm

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 00:38:04 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

I do wish you a complete recovery. When I had my hand surgery, it took
about three weeks. I have had 15 surgeries in my life and that is when I
told myself thatwhat doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Just between
you and me (and the internet) I try hard to forget them Best wishes. MLB

It's not too bad, yes,it's painful but nothing like my shoulder op which was
dreadful.
I think I will recover from it in 2-3 weeks.
I've got good pain meds. One is codeine which makes me feel weird and I must
be excused if I say anything bad for 2 weeks.

Old October 14th 12, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 21:15:32 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
Purrs and prayers that the pain eases soon.

Judith

It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I actually drove Mr F a mile today
to see if I could. I won't be doing that again for a week or four ;-(

Hope it all goes well.
Old October 14th 12, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 21:15:32 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
Purrs and prayers that the pain eases soon.

Judith

It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I actually drove Mr F a mile
today to see if I could. I won't be doing that again for a week or four
;-(

My DR told me it was illegal to drive with an "operated on" hand. He
said insurance would not cover in caseof an accident. Do you have such a
law?

Don't know. Report me to the police immediately just in case I'm not
sensible enough to know if I'm safe to drive. I did it to know and I
probably need another few days. No-one was in danger. I met 2 other cars.
It's not exactly car central here.

Old October 14th 12, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
Purrs and prayers that the pain eases soon.

Judith

It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I actually drove Mr F a mile
today
to see if I could. I won't be doing that again for a week or four ;-(

Hope it all goes well.

Thanks, it's better than I expected up until now. It could still go
horribly wrong yet. I have to take my bandages off tomorrow.

Old October 14th 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

It's not too bad, yes,it's painful but nothing like my shoulder op which was
dreadful. I think I will recover from it in 2-3 weeks.

I hope so! And even more importantly, I hope it does what it's intended
to do.

I've got good pain meds. One is codeine which makes me feel weird and I must
be excused if I say anything bad for 2 weeks.

So noted.

--
Joyce

If you can't operate your turn signal, what makes you think you can
drive the rest of the car? -- bumper sticker
Old October 14th 12, 11:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 21:15:32 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in
message
Purrs and prayers that the pain eases soon.

Judith

It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I actually drove Mr
F a mile
today to see if I could. I won't be doing that again for a
week or four
;-(

My DR told me it was illegal to drive with an "operated on"
hand. He
said insurance would not cover in caseof an accident. Do you
have such a
law?

"mlbriggs" comment is perfectly valid - see the top of this page:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...tm?indexChar=A .

Don't know. ...

Ignorance of the law is not a defence, as you probably already
know.

Report me to the police immediately just in case I'm not
sensible enough to know if I'm safe to drive...

That's what drunk drivers used to think in the UK, before the
objective measurement of blood alcohol levels: "I've only had a
couple of drinks, I'll be fine to drive..."

I did it to know [if it's safe for me to drive] and I probably
need another few days. No-one was in danger. I met 2 other
cars. It's not exactly car central here.

There *may* have been a breach of Regulation 104 of the Road
Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986:

"104. No person shall drive or cause or permit any other person
to drive, a motor vehicle on a road if he is in such a position
that he cannot have proper control of the vehicle or have a full
view of the road and traffic ahead."

I have heard of one person who was prosecuted for a breach of ths
regulation because they were eating an apple, held with one hand,
while driving.

This is, unfortunately for you, Tweed, a subjective judgement -
unlike the objective blood alcohol example I referred to above.
Since the offence is usually dealt with by a fixed penalty notice
(and is endorsable), few cases go to court.

Think back to your driving test, where *two hands* were required
to be *gripping* the steering wheel, unless operating another
control device (gears, light switches, etc) or making a hand
signal. If surgery means you are unable to grip anything firmly
with one hand, you cannot be in full control, as judged in the
driving tests (unless your vehicle has been specially adapted for
one-handed operation).

I *know* you said you won't do this again for "a week or four",
but you still need to ask your doctor when you will be fit to
drive. You should not make that judgement for yourself - if you
were to be stopped by the police, it would be a defence to say "I
asked my doctor, and he said it's OK". It would *not* be a
defence to say "I thought I was OK", like drunk drivers used to
say.

--
MatSav

Old October 15th 12, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
[...]

I did it to know [if it's safe for me to drive] and I probably need
another few days. No-one was in danger. I met 2 other cars. It's not
exactly car central here.

There *may* have been a breach of Regulation 104 of the Road Vehicles
(Construction and Use) Regulations 1986:

"104. No person shall drive or cause or permit any other person to drive,
a motor vehicle on a road if he is in such a position that he cannot have
proper control of the vehicle or have a full view of the road and traffic
ahead."

I have heard of one person who was prosecuted for a breach of ths
regulation because they were eating an apple, held with one hand, while
driving.

This is, unfortunately for you, Tweed, a subjective judgement -

Exactly. You have no idea about whether it's Ok for me to drive, only I
know that. I have judged that, with painkillers, it's safe for me to go to
the nearby supermarket. Please don't tell me what to do if you haven't had
the same operation yourself. It ticks me off in a major way.

Old October 16th 12, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

.

[...]

He wasn't telling you what to do, he was pointing out in a friendly way
that you were breaking the law. You can be extremely arrogant at times.
--
Adrian
http://community.webshots.com/clowderuk
Old October 17th 12, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"MatSav" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote
in message ...

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately for you, Tweed, as I tried to explain, your own
judgement would not be a defence against a breach of Regulation
104, if you were stopped by the police and given a fixed penalty
notice. The much bigger concern, however, is that as per the
DVLA's statement in the link I originally provided, your
insurance may be invalid.

A doctor's advice that you are 'safe to drive', however, would be
a defence - but it works both ways. If they have advised you not
to drive for a specified period, you must not then do so.

Please don't tell me what to do if you haven't had the same
operation yourself. It ticks me off in a major way.

I'm not telling you what to do, I'm offering advice. Fortunately,
I haven't had the same surgery..

--
MatSav

Old October 17th 12, 08:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"MatSav" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Almost right, Adrian. I was being friendly, but I didn't claim
that Tweed was breaking the law - I said there *may* have been a
breach of Regulation 104. It's not for me to judge whether the
law was broken or not, that is for the professionals (which is
what I was trying to say).

...You can be extremely arrogant at times.

In another message, Tweed did warn us that she may appear to be a
bit 'weird':

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

...I've got good pain meds. One is codeine which makes me feel
weird and I must
be excused if I say anything bad for 2 weeks.

She is excused!
--
MatSav

ping tweed Stormmee Cat anecdotes 2 April 29th 08 02:05 AM
Ping Tweed: [email protected] Cat anecdotes 1 April 23rd 08 11:38 PM
Ping Tweed CatNipped Cat anecdotes 0 June 25th 05 05:19 AM
Ping Tweed 2 HRFLTiger Cat anecdotes 6 May 1st 05 12:00 AM