Brush Spicey - but carefully

Old October 17th 12, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Brush Spicey - but carefully

Ah, poor Spicey... Because I have this particular sense of urgency about
getting Spicey easier to handle and eventually medicate, I tend to push her
and push my luck a bit further than if I were just interested in
integrating her.

Today, I got this idea that I could brush her. She has a little dandruff on
her back, and looked a bit unkempt (which was one of the symptoms that
prompted me to get her blood panel). I showed Spicey the brush I usually
use on Buster. She sniffed it. I let her brush up against it. She liked
that, and started purring.

I ran the brush a bit along her back, and she rubbed her side against it,
and then her cheeks. She let me brush her head a little bit, and she looked
up in ecstasy and purred. This was going well!

Up until the point she suddenly reared up, grabbed my arm, and chomped down
on my wrist. OW!

There was so much blood, I wasn't sure where I was punctured. I ran my
wrist under the sink, and after rendering the basin incarnadine in a
suicide-looking scene, I saw what happened. Four neat fang marks. Two
didn't hit anything important, while one got a vein, and the other got the
radial artery (where you take your pulse).

After I got that under control, I decided that I might as well make good
use of this opportunity to try out my new toy - a glucose meter (that's
meant for Spicey, actually). It reported that my fountain of blood has a
blood glucose level of 88. That's not too bad!
Old October 17th 12, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

Ouch! Apparently that's the only way she knows to say she's had enough. I
hope she'll learn gentler ways. Did you have the bite looked at?

Joy

Old October 17th 12, 06:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLBriggs

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 23:37:34 -0400, Takayuki wrote:

[...]

TuTu used to react that waywhen I brushed her. The last time she did it,
I looked her right in her eyes and promised to kill her if she ever did
it again. Now when I brush her, I only do it for a minute or two and she
seems to tolerate it. Do you use peroxide after you have washed the
woun ? Best wishes. MLB
Old October 17th 12, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann791

On 10/16/2012 11:37 PM, Takayuki wrote:
[...]

Next time you want to brush Spicy go one or two strokes and then stop.
This will leave her wanting more.

Abby (RB) would strike out with a paw and try to scratch you when we
first got her if she did not like what you were doing. One day she took
a swipe at Peter. He took two fingers and taped her on the head. Like a
mother cat would do with a kitten. Abby never took a swipe at Peter again.

Ann
Old October 17th 12, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Tiger gets a good brushing with the Zoom Groom every morning. He enjoys
it and never complains. Amber likes the Love Glove and gets lots of
brushing every day with no complaints.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 17th 12, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Tiger gets a good brushing with the Zoom Groom every morning. He enjoys
it and never complains. Amber likes the Love Glove and gets lots of
brushing every day with no complaints.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

***

Waffles likes to be brushed for a minute or two. Pickles runs if I pick up
a brush.

Joy

Old October 17th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:52:09 -0700, "Joy" wrote:
Ouch! Apparently that's the only way she knows to say she's had enough. I
hope she'll learn gentler ways. Did you have the bite looked at?

Well, I'm keeping an eye on it, at any rate. It was painful for a while,
but that's starting to subside, and maybe I can stop having to do
everything with my left hand!

I did get an early tetanus booster and was prescribed a 10 day course of
antibiotics as a precaution.
Old October 18th 12, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Tiger gets a good brushing with the Zoom Groom every morning. He enjoys
it and never complains. Amber likes the Love Glove and gets lots of
brushing every day with no complaints.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

***

Waffles likes to be brushed for a minute or two. Pickles runs if I pick
up a brush.

Joy

But Spicey is a cat that is almost feral, yet still living in a home, simply
because Suz was not able to touch her for however long she had her. I'm not
sure if she had her as a kitten, but if so, that's 9 years.
Tak, you are an amazing friend to Suz, and very brave indeed to try and
groom Spicey so much so soon but I do understand why.
I thought KFC had a bad temper with me, having been half feral for 7 years,
but Spicey beats her into a cocked hat, as we say.
I had some attacks by taking a few too many liberties, but nothing on that
scale.
Just don't trust those nearly feral girlies - they lull you into a false
sense of security ;-)
I hope your hand recovers soon.

Tweed

Old October 19th 12, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AB

I took care of a friends cat for about a month while she was in the
hospital. The cat took to me and would love to sit in my lap. I'd pet
her but had to be ever so watchful of her body language. Out of
nowhere she'd quickly turn around to chomp on my hand. Fortunately, I
was fast enough and moved my hand out of the way in time. But I could
hear the forceful clanging of her teeth together, so it would have
been a full-fledged bite.

Good that you are treating the bite.

AB

Old October 19th 12, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Takayuki wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

[...]

Over stimulation which is what I was trying to explain. Take it slow as
you have noticed ;-)

It's Spicey every day Takayuki Cat anecdotes 11 October 9th 12 08:48 PM
Where's Spicey? Joy Cat anecdotes 1 October 8th 12 11:23 PM
Please think carefully about changing the title of threads MaryL Cat anecdotes 19 October 28th 10 09:15 PM
I should have read carefully James Cat health & behaviour 3 July 5th 08 07:41 PM
Spicey Pics SUQKRT Cat anecdotes 10 October 4th 03 07:06 AM