Brush Spicey - but carefully

Old October 19th 12, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Brush Spicey - but carefully

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 19:24:28 -0400, AB wrote:
I took care of a friends cat for about a month while she was in the
hospital. The cat took to me and would love to sit in my lap. I'd pet
her but had to be ever so watchful of her body language. Out of
nowhere she'd quickly turn around to chomp on my hand. Fortunately, I
was fast enough and moved my hand out of the way in time. But I could
hear the forceful clanging of her teeth together, so it would have
been a full-fledged bite.

Good that you are treating the bite.

AB

It's pretty dangerous - I'm going to have to be careful. The literature
said to expect cat scratch fever, and that that normally resolves itself,
but considering that I was taking antibiotics, I was still surprised to see
my temperature rise today to 101 F.
Old October 19th 12, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:03:38 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

Takayuki wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

After I got that under control, I decided that I might as well make
good use of this opportunity to try out my new toy - a glucose meter
(that's meant for Spicey, actually). It reported that my fountain of
blood has a blood glucose level of 88. That's not too bad!

Over stimulation which is what I was trying to explain. Take it slow as
you have noticed ;-)

Spicey is a bit unusual. I don't think this was overstimulation. Her body
language was similar to how she bites down on my shoes if I step too high
while walking near her. I think she took my hand in an unusual position
above her head as a threat, and attacked because of that.
Old October 19th 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 17:21:27 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
But Spicey is a cat that is almost feral, yet still living in a home, simply
because Suz was not able to touch her for however long she had her. I'm not
sure if she had her as a kitten, but if so, that's 9 years.
Tak, you are an amazing friend to Suz, and very brave indeed to try and
groom Spicey so much so soon but I do understand why.
I thought KFC had a bad temper with me, having been half feral for 7 years,
but Spicey beats her into a cocked hat, as we say.
I had some attacks by taking a few too many liberties, but nothing on that
scale.
Just don't trust those nearly feral girlies - they lull you into a false
sense of security ;-)
I hope your hand recovers soon.

Tweed

My hand is actually recovering well! I went from being unable to hold a
fork with my right hand to now being at about 50% normal grip strength on a
grip exerciser. The fever's annoying though.

Old October 19th 12, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Spicey is a bit unusual. I don't think this was overstimulation. Her body
language was similar to how she bites down on my shoes if I step too high
while walking near her. I think she took my hand in an unusual position
above her head as a threat, and attacked because of that.

Most cats think an arm approaching like that means bad trouble.

Old October 19th 12, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:32:48 +0100, Jack Campin
wrote:
Spicey is a bit unusual. I don't think this was overstimulation. Her body
language was similar to how she bites down on my shoes if I step too high
while walking near her. I think she took my hand in an unusual position
above her head as a threat, and attacked because of that.

Most cats think an arm approaching like that means bad trouble.

With some cats, a hand approaching from above their heads means time to
lower their heads and flatten their ears in anticipation of scritches.
Old October 20th 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:
Spicey is a bit unusual. I don't think this was overstimulation. Her body
language was similar to how she bites down on my shoes if I step too high
while walking near her. I think she took my hand in an unusual position
above her head as a threat, and attacked because of that.

Most cats think an arm approaching like that means bad trouble.

With some cats, a hand approaching from above their heads means time to
lower their heads and flatten their ears in anticipation of scritches.

When I reach down to pet Roxy, she looks up at me so that her head is
angled for maximum contact with my hand as it descends.

--
Joyce

What I look forward to, is continued immaturity, followed by death.
-- Dave Barry
Old October 20th 12, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

I trust you are joking, are you? In this case you
need to get to the doctor immediately. A fever from this needs antibiotics
a.s.a.p.
Now you're scaring me.

Old October 20th 12, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
Spicey is a bit unusual. I don't think this was overstimulation. Her
body
language was similar to how she bites down on my shoes if I step too
high
while walking near her. I think she took my hand in an unusual
position
above her head as a threat, and attacked because of that.

Most cats think an arm approaching like that means bad trouble.

With some cats, a hand approaching from above their heads means time to
lower their heads and flatten their ears in anticipation of scritches.

When I reach down to pet Roxy, she looks up at me so that her head is
angled for maximum contact with my hand as it descends.

I'm going to say it now - been avoiding it - Suz had no arms. No wonder
Spicey is like she is, she was not able to be touched.
It's not surprising she's difficult now.

Old October 20th 12, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:
[...]

I believe he said he was taking antibiotics.

Joy

It's Spicey every day Takayuki Cat anecdotes 11 October 9th 12 08:48 PM
Where's Spicey? Joy Cat anecdotes 1 October 8th 12 11:23 PM
Please think carefully about changing the title of threads MaryL Cat anecdotes 19 October 28th 10 09:15 PM
I should have read carefully James Cat health & behaviour 3 July 5th 08 07:41 PM
Spicey Pics SUQKRT Cat anecdotes 10 October 4th 03 07:06 AM