OT - LA Bans Fast Food

Old August 1st 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default OT - LA Bans Fast Food

Norma wrote:

On Jul 31, 2:47?pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"

Given the near epidemic prevalence of obesity in children and teen-agers
in the U.S., practically EVERYONE! ?(At least indirectly.)

Then ban corn syrup. Check the labels. It is added to almost all
boxed/canned/bottled food and drinks these days.
Norma

Good point. Corn syrup probably contributes to diabetes, too.

I try to make all my food from scratch, so I know what I'm getting. Once
a week I cook up a big batch o'glop, and that's what I take to work to
eat for lunch for the week. ("Glop" doesn't do it justice, it's usually
a yummy stew, curry, thick soup or casserole, but I call it glop because
it's all mixed together. )

But when I get home from work at night, I often don't have the time or
the energy to stand there chopping up veggies. So I've resorted to eating
Trader Joe's* pre-made junk for dinner. I do read labels, but that doesn't
always help, because I don't know what many of the items are. I should
sit down with a dictionary some time. I don't know how health-conscious
TJ's is in their manufacturing or in their choice of vendors to outsource
to, I can only hope for the best. I haven't seen corn syrup in anything
I've bought from them, anyway.

Oh well, at least I have decent breakfasts and lunches!

*Trader Joe's - very popular US grocery chain, sells gourmet and organic
food fairly cheap. Somebody's probably getting a bad deal somewhere along
the pipeline, but I haven't heard any complaints.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 1st 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

But who does it hurt when we eat a Big Mac??!

Who does it hurt? Your employer when you have more days off sick, your
family & friends who have to look after you when you are sick and who are
distracted when they worry about you, and of course there's the cost to the
government providing extra medical care to unhealthy, obese and malnourished
people who are too sick to hold a regular job, and the extra cost to make
everything bigger to accomodate those who are too large to sit in regular
seats, use regular toilets, etc etc.

The inherant problem is that fast food is often far cheaper than fresh
veggies, fruit & meat, and that anyone juggling two or three minimum wage
jobs just to get by is unlikely to feel the urge to shop, store and cook
from scratch each day, and thus poor people turn to fast food that at least
fills them up, is cheap, quick, and easy to get. I am guilty of falling into
the same trap. Buying a meal at the local chicken shop isn't that much more
expensive than I can prepare myself, and if we hadn't been shopping for a
while, becomes quite attractive *especially* when its my turn tocook and I'm
exhausted from work.

GMTA, Yowie! (My post on this said essentially the same things.)

Banning fast food outlets won't work. What would work is encouraging fast
food outlets to sell healthy food at the same price as the junk.

And/or banning certain ingredients used in cooking or preparation. Which
might be where they're going with the trans-fat ban that was also discussed.

Subway is hardly junk food (its healthy, and was designed to be
that way) but bythe defintion given in the article above, it would be
banned too.

Hmm, I've heard (but I can't cite the source, so I won't bet my life on
this) that Subway food has as much fat in it as McD's. (I do think that
Subway tastes a lot better, though.)

I'm a fan of Quizno's (another US chain - I don't know if there are any
outside the country, though). They're not exactly known for health foods,
but it sure is yummy. I also don't know if it would qualify as fast food,
exactly. The food is made to order. (But isn't that true at Subway, too?)

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 1st 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Jul 31, 8:39*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
This just left me gobsmacked!

http://news.smh.com.au/world/los-ang...new-fastfood-o...

or

http://tinyurl.com/5hkvhx

Now Big Brother is telling us what we can and can't eat??!!!

The smoking ban was tough on smokers, but at least there was some rationale
that the non-smoking public was put at risk by second-hand smoke. *But who
does it hurt when we eat a Big Mac??!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Would be nice if the gov't and those who run it (and vote for it),
realized that you canNOT legislate common sense (seat belt laws, no
smoking laws, gun registration, jaywalking, et al). People, being
human, will do what they will do. It's called free will, and we have
it for a reason (do I know why? Nope, not in the least, but it'd be
real boring if we didn't have it, don't you think?). Do we listen to
the 'inner voice' that says "no"? Not real often it seems, but
still...

If I *know* it will hurt me (smoking), and I continue to do so (eating
at Burger King or Sonic or Wendys, don't care for McDs), then that is
*my* fault not someone else's. If I'm fat, it's because of *me*
(genetics, choices, diseases), I shouldn't be allowed to blame a fast
food restaurant for serving food loaded with fats. I didn't have to
eat there.

Now, if we could legislate that health clubs had to make themselves
affordable for all people (lol).... Not that it'd help me, you
understand....snicker

Smokie Darling (Annie)
Old August 1st 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
[...]

I'm living in fear that if this passes the government will make exercise
classes mandatory and fine the people who miss their work-outs! Somebody
hand me my wallet, 'cause with Fibromyalgia sore muscles last for *weeks*!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 1st 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Aug 1, 10:14 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

I have a close friend who has fibromyalgia and from what she tells me
I prefer to
have my own medical issues, thank you. She gets SSD, doc-certified,
all legit.
Has for years now. Check into it, maybe you could too.

Unfortunately, SSI wouldn't even begin to cover our bills and mortgage, so I
haven't even bothered to apply.

WHY did someone have to bring up seat-belt laws? You KNOW how I feel
about
that topic. Don't get me started. One sentence: fast food isn't an
instant killer
unless you choke on it, LOL....takes a long time to coat the plaque on
those
coronary arteries....but now seat belts...another ballpark entirely.

LOL! Yeah, seat belts are a personal peeve to me too - I had a friend who
allowed her children to stand up in the back seat of her car - she wondered
why I never let my children go anywhere with her!

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 1st 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

http://news.smh.com.au/world/los-ang...0730-3n34.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/5hkvhx

Now Big Brother is telling us what we can and can't eat??!!!

The smoking ban was tough on smokers, but at least there was some
rationale that the non-smoking public was put at risk by second-hand
smoke. But who does it hurt when we eat a Big Mac??!

I always suspected that targeting smokers was the thin end of the wedge
until our eating habits were called into question too. Next, look out if
you buy a bottle of wine to have with your meal more than x times a week..

Old August 1st 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
This just left me gobsmacked!

http://news.smh.com.au/world/los-ang...0730-3n34.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/5hkvhx

Now Big Brother is telling us what we can and can't eat??!!!

The smoking ban was tough on smokers, but at least there was some
rationale that the non-smoking public was put at risk by second-hand
smoke. But who does it hurt when we eat a Big Mac??!

I always suspected that targeting smokers was the thin end of the wedge
until our eating habits were called into question too. Next, look out if
you buy a bottle of wine to have with your meal more than x times a week..

I know. It's a bit frightening to me thinking that government is giving
itself the right to decide *for* me what's good for me. Human beings are
just too different for that type of "what's good for me must be good for
you" mentality.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 1st 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
This just left me gobsmacked!

http://news.smh.com.au/world/los-ang...0730-3n34.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/5hkvhx

Now Big Brother is telling us what we can and can't eat??!!!

The smoking ban was tough on smokers, but at least there was some
rationale that the non-smoking public was put at risk by second-hand
smoke. But who does it hurt when we eat a Big Mac??!

I always suspected that targeting smokers was the thin end of the wedge
until our eating habits were called into question too. Next, look out if
you buy a bottle of wine to have with your meal more than x times a week..

THEY DIDN'T BAN FAST FOOD!!! They simply said there were enough fast food
places in the area and they weren't going to allow any more to be built.
that is NOT telling people what they can and can't eat.

Joy

Old August 1st 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't take it as telling people what they can or cat eat - but just as a
very subtle "first step". For one thing, it was only proposed for the
"poor" section of town - which seemed rather patronizing to me (what, they
don't care if rich people get heart attacks! ;). For another thing, I
think if you allow capitalism to work the way it's supposed to there will be
as many different types of stores as the market will bear - and if people
want a certain type of product more than another, well, that's *their*
choice. If people there were clamoring for healthy places to eat, I don't
think anyone would find it a problem for health food stores to open up
business in that neighborhood.

JMHO

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 1st 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

[...]

I have RA and fibro (and a couple of other fun and painful things), so
health clubs are just a huge waste of funds for me. I can't even swim
due to shoulder, back and neck pain.

I understand, as Joy put it, that it isn't outlawing fast food, though
I must admit to not viewing the link you provided. However, you did
touch a nerve for me, with the other legislations that have come
around.

I mean, yeah I smoke, but... I do it outside, I do not smoke around
non-smokers, I do not smoke when I drive (don't use my cell phone
either). I try to be considerate of those around who are either
allergic, or just don't like the smell. I won't even smoke outside
when I go to a friend's house, if they are opposed to the smell.

Now, when I go into a grocery store, with my handicapped placard (my
walking distance is very short), and people *see* me walking (or
hobbling), and I get the "If you lost weight...." line of crap. I'm
5'10" (1.78 meters) and I weigh about 165 lbs. The thinnest I've been
as an adult was 145 pounds when I was 25 until 30. I'm a big girl,
but I'm not fat (my docs want me to *gain* weight because they say
that most of my weight really is my bone structure). That however, is
a whole *other* soapbox that I could spend weeks and years on (grr).