Challenge 24

Old August 4th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry

Default Challenge 24

Yowie wrote:
There is Usenet, and there is Real Life.

Sometimes I am stupid and ignore Joel and/or tell the Yowlet to go away
and/or push a kitty away because I am typing a Very Important Post to here
(or elsewhere on usenet) and don't want to be interrupted. By doing so, I am
implying that usenet is more important in my life that Joel, Cary, or the
cats.

Its not.

So, this is my challenge.

Go 24 hours without Usenet. Instead, hug your partner. Scritch a kitty.
Ring your parents / siblings / kids and tell them that you love them.
Write - with pen and paper - a letter to a dear friend rather than dropping
them an e-mail. Go to church/temple/coven. Do that chore you've been putting
off. Make one of the many recipes you've always promised yoruself you were
going to try. Go to the musem, Volunteer at the shelter. Go to the park and
see the kids run around. Maybe run around yourself and do something daft
like you did as a kid. Blow bubbles, Jump in the puddle, roll down that
grassy hill. Just get out and smell the roses.

Then, when you've had a dose of Reality, have got some perspective on the
*important things* in your life, feel free to come back to usenet. I can
promise you that it hasn't collapsed without your words of wisdom, in fact
I would wager that no-one has really noticed your absence.

I am starting my challenge as of 2:06pm local time.

See you all later, I'm gonna be enjoying meatspace. Care to join me?

Vicky (not Yowie for 24 hours)

Nah, just divide your time between your loved ones, including your
computer
Old August 5th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Kreisleriana wrote:
I do it pretty often. I try to do it at least once a week.

Me too. Plus I have time to do all my other stuff too.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 5th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default OT Health & Diet Update (WAS: Challenge 24)

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
I did think about Usenet some when I was in the hospital for 7 days
but only because hospitals are terribly boring. I wasn't begging
the nursing staff to smuggle in a laptop with wireless

Jill

How are you feeling, Jill? Are you able to eat anything more solid
than soup now?

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

I feel good, thanks! The surgeon wants to let my system get "back to
normal" before scheduling my surgery. I'm to call immediately (day or
night) so he can call in antibiotics if any of my symptoms return in the
meantime.

I've been off the liquid diet since before I was discharged from the
hospital. I have to eat a low fiber diet for a while. This confuses some
people since (allegedly) diverticulitis is caused by not getting enough
fiber. Problem is, high fiber food isn't easily digrested and gets trapped
in the diverticuli. Once the diverticuli become inflamed and infected (and
in my case, rupture) fibrous foods make things worse.

So for the time being, no whole grain breads or pastas (I had to buy a loaf
of white bread for the first time in 25+ years!). White flour all the way.
White "Texas toast" makes a fine grilled cheese sandwich, though I need
to avoid overly fatty and fried foods but that's not a problem. Meat needs
to be lean and practically "chopped". I had a breakfast of ham & scrambled
eggs in the hospital. The ham had been chopped into tiny bits. I'm sure
some of the kitties here would have approved!

I have to avoid fresh fruits; who'd have thought a peach or an apple was too
high in fiber? They are. Canned (processed) fruit is fine. Vegetables
need to be well cooked. That's not a problem... I don't like veggies cooked
to mush but I was never a fan of "tender-crisp" and the texture of raw
veggies makes me cringe. Potatoes have to be peeled; none of those
"homestyle" mashed taters with the skins left on.

I have to avoid nuts and seeds at all costs. For the time being things like
lentils and some dried beans (which I love) are a no-no. Tomato sauce has
to be strained to remove the seeds. I can't eat corn, either, which is a
shame since I love corn on the cob and I make a mean corn chowder! But the
skin of the kernels is too fibrous and difficult to digest. (sigh)

Jill

Old August 5th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad you're feeling better, but I know it sucks to be on a diet - it's
bad enough when you put *yourself* on one to lose a few pounds, but to know
that if you eat the wrong things it will make you sick - again, that sucks!

Please keep us updated and let us know when the surgery is scheduled.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 5th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

jmcquown wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Dang, your diet sounds worse than mine! Get through this and you'll be
okay. It's only temporary. Crap, I mean, I can't eat dairy, peanuts, eggs,
meat, spinach, brussels sprouts, etc, for the rest of my life. Count your
blessings. (I know that sounds weird, but I'm trying to be supportive,
here.)

I love you tons!

kili

Old August 5th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Sending purrs that you are feeling well enough for the dietary
restrictions to be a PITA.

Those single serving cups of fruit and applesauce aren't bad. The
berry flavored apple sauce is really pretty good.

The cups of pudding aren't awful either, if you get a decent brand.

We have half a shelf in the refrigerator dedicated to these things and
another shelf in the freezer to guilt free "ice cream" treats.

Jo

Old August 5th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I was going to ask you about all of this because I am having problems
dealing with the medical system here. My doctor was away when I was
admitted to the hospital but I don't think that is a good excuse. The gi
doc who did the colonoscopy is now in India with a family emergency so I
met with his boss but not one of my doctors seems to know what to tell me
to do. I was told to go back to normal foods but as I started dialing in
more fiber I think I started getting "stopped" up again. every time I
see a doctor it cost me a day fo work and a bunch of money. I am going
to see my primary doc in about an hour and plan to tell him I am
frightened and frustrated. I think I should be back on the low residue
diet (me too on the white bread BTW) and hopefully I will stabilize until
Sept. Oct. when I can get surgery if it is still indicated. I was not
even too bad with the low residue diet but no one told me to stay on it
including the surgeons. I am very glad to see you say all this because I
am finally thinking I am not the crazy one and you give a bit of
confirmation to that.

Have you been told how "normal" (and how soon) you will be after they do
surgery?

ps: My thing is the amazing lentil soup I make that I need to not make.

Andy

Old August 5th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

outsider wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
news

[...]

Nope, you're not crazy! He told me to stick with the low residue thing
until after the surgery. I'm pretty sure not doing that (not being told to)
after my first encounter in the emergency room is what landed me in the
hospital in the first place.

Have you been told how "normal" (and how soon) you will be after they
do surgery?

The surgery is laproscopic so as surgeries go pretty simple. 1-2 days in
hospital at most. Should be over it in about a week. I'm still not going
to rush things afterwards, though.

ps: My thing is the amazing lentil soup I make that I need to not
make.

Andy

Bummer! I adore lentil soup.

Jill

Old August 5th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

outsider wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks. This info helps. My doc was pretty good this time too but I
have some work work to do so will update you a bit later. The soup
problem is even worse since I also put barley in it and can eat the whole
pot I love it so much but I do up some mushroom and pepper soup which
fits the low res a bit better. Glad to see your on the mend too. More
later.

Andy
Old August 6th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

jmcquown wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs that you stay feeling OK. Skritches to Persia.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe

Challenge Pamela Shirk Cat anecdotes 0 December 3rd 05 02:56 AM
Challenge OT, hopefully fun tanada Cat anecdotes 13 May 4th 05 04:21 PM
Challenge OT tanada Cat anecdotes 3 April 29th 05 12:44 PM
Challenge Alison Cat health & behaviour 25 April 12th 05 04:19 PM
How about a challenge??????????? JHBennett Cats - misc 2 July 28th 03 01:55 PM