Old July 25th 14, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Mouse in the house!

On 7/25/2014 10:23 AM, Cheryl wrote:

For many years, I lived in an old wooden house of a type that was
generally reputed to have a problem with mice, partly because it wasn't
as solidly constructed as newer ones (and mice need a very small hole to
enter through) and partly because it was one of a number of row houses,
and even if I'd managed to find all the tiny holes in a very poor
foundation, I couldn't count on someone down the road having done so.
The previous residents had had constant problems with mice, and had
trays of poison everywhere. I got rid of all the poison and moved in
with my two cats - Mandy and Betsy, both now RB.

Mice are less stupid than I had realized. They almost never entered the
house afterwards (although God knows what they were doing in the walls).
There was never any evidence of droppings. Once I found the cats
harrassing a very scared mouse, which I caught and released. Once I
found half a mouse. Not bad for well over a decade in an area with lots
of mice!

Not bad at all! Mice are interesting creatures. If they can fit their
heads through an opening they can compress their bodies and just slide
right on through. I saw one flatten itself and crawl under the door
from my bedroom (in the aforementioned house) when I didn't think even a
cricket could crawl under that door. I was amazed.

OB Cats: I've read this is one of the things cats use their whiskers
for. They are sensors. Can I fit through here? If the whiskers say
no, don't go.

Jill