Old April 16th 21, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Another Veterinary Appointment for Buffy

On 4/16/2021 12:43 AM, cshenk wrote:
Tigger wrote:

cshenk wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

There is also a liquid antibiotic that worked well on gushy food.
Daisy-chan used it at times as even the vets couldn't pill her.

I've used an eyedropper, holding the cat much as for getting a pill
down (hold head from behind, thumb and middle finger where the jaws
hinge). A quick squirt and done with minimal blood loss (on my part).

LOL, Daisy-chan was a true feral, (not the joke, 'ohh I found her
outside must be feral') and that does NOT work.

No, not even the vet could do that.

Smile, I get to laugh now but it wasn't that funny to get 'free nail
clipping' for the safety of the vet. Nor was it funny to see the had
ski masks (Haloween movie type) and metal 'gloves' to the shoulders for
a few years at the vets.

That's definitely not just a scared to be at the vet cat!

She did calm down with us pretty fast but Lord help the vets and staff!
I think she was 18 before she calmed down enough for them and just
snarled.

Buffy was a feral cat. There is a feral cat colony where I live and she
was born into it. She was part of a TNR program. The difference is,
her former slave saw her notched ear and scooped her up when she was
about 5 months old, took her inside and Buffy quickly turned into an
indoor cat.

I have liquid pain medication to give her but given she just had teeth
extracted the idea of holding her jaw like that is a bit intimidating.
I'll manage because I love her and don't want her to be in pain but it's
a bit nerve-wracking. I need to see if I can get her to eat a little
something before I try to give her the first syringe of pain meds.

Jill