Old February 24th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
~*Connie*~

Default insulin resistant cat

also read up on home testing. it is better if you can test your cats blood
sugar at home.. better for you financially, and better for the cat for less
stress. It was recommended to me to use a human glucometer several years
ago, and many studies have shown it to be effective and it has saved many
cats lives.

Diet is also highly important. if your vet is up on the current treatment
of diabetes, then chances are they prescribed Hills DM or some other high
protein diet. Hopefully you are feeding a canned food. There isn't a dry
food out there that is low enough in carbs to help diabetic cats. Check out
www.catinfo.org for more information regarding diet. I have not heard of
taurine helping increase insulin sensitivity. I would be very interested to
see where you got that from. A high protein low carb diet is an appropriate
diet for any cat, but is very important for a diabetic cat.

felinediabetes.com is a very helpful website! so is www.yourdiabeticcat.com
My kitty has been diabetic for almost 7 years now.. it is treatable, and
manageable, and insulin is quite easy to administer. Get your cat on the
right diet and boost the system with insulin, you might be able to get your
cat off insulin.

"BigBlocky!" wrote in message
Hi. I have a cat whose diabetes was until recently manageable through
diet. He started to lose weight so I took him to see the veterinarian.
She told me that his blood sugar was high enough that dietary intervention
alone wasn't going to be good enough - that he'd require insulin. I left
my cat at the vet's office for a couple of days while they attempted to
regulate his blood sugar with insulin, but they were mostly unsuccessful.
I'm really at a loss here with the only thing in my mind to try is a
taurine supplement as I have read that it helps increase insulin
sensitivity. Does anybody have any ideas that might help? I'm grateful
for any information you can provide.

Thanks and take care,

MarkM