Old June 2nd 21, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk[_4_]

Default Buffy's Hiding Again

jmcquown wrote:

On 5/28/2021 6:35 PM, cshenk wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

On 5/27/2021 3:29 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
On 5/25/2021 4:25 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
Buffy started hiding again. Saturday she ate but not
nearly as much as she had been. I literally picked her
up and set her in front of the food. Nope. Yesterday
she didn't eat. She did use the litter box (there was
poop and pee to scoop both morning and before I went to
bed) but she's mostly stayed out of sight since Sunday
morning.

When I left for work this morning she was on a chair under
the dining room table. I gave her scritches, told her to
eat! I had hoped she'd come out and eat while I was at
work today. I found her in the back corner of the closet
when I got home. She ate a little bit of the gooshy food
while I was at work but not much. All she wants to do is
sleep.

My poor Buffy girl could use some more purrs. Meanwhile,
I need to make another vet appointment. The predisone
appeared to be making her feel better but now... sigh

Jill

Hi Jill

How is Buffy today? I do hope she's feeling a bit brighter.
Would she take food if you offered it from your fingers? Is
she allowed anything lie cream cheese. Sweep (RB) and
Sophie (RB) both loved to lick Brie cheese from my fingers.
It's messy but just a thought that something different and
creamy might tempt her taste buds.

Mega purrs and prayers from here and I'll post to our FB
friends too.

Hugs

Judi

Sorry for the late reply. I got home from work yesterday
only to find my internet connection was out and it didn't
come back until just before bedtime last night.

Unfortunately, Buffy isn't doing much better. I dropped her
off at the veterinary clinic before work today (her
appointment was for 1:40pm, I work 10-4). This time she saw
the vet who did the teeth extractions. Even without the
biopsy, her blood work shows a higher elevation of calcium
than the last blood panel. He is certain the mass in her
upper jaw is a malignant tumor. He gave her a super duper
steroid shot and told me to discontinue the steroid drops
I've been adding to her food. He also gave her a 72-hour
pain shot and sent me home with a week's worth of pain meds
to be given by mouth, every 12 hours starting on Monday
evening.

The oral pain medication comes in pre-measured doses in
individual syringes. When I expressed concerns about giving
it to her he said, "You don't have to pry her mouth open,
just get it near her mouth and squirt it. She'll get it."

My boss (yes, he's a keeper!) shooed me out of the office as
soon as they called to say Buffy was ready for me to pick her
up.

When we got home Buffy immediately went to her water bowl to
take a nice long drink of water. Meanwhile, I dished up some
fresh gooshy food and when she finished drinking her fill she
ate a few bites.

She's curled up on a pillow on the sofa behind me now. She's
not hiding and she did sleep curled up next to me last night.
She sure wasn't thrilled when I popped her into the carrier
after I got dressed for work this morning.

Unfortunately, I think time is slipping away. This time next
month...

Jill

at least she's more comfortable now. Purrs and prayers.
Hopefully you'll have more quality time together.

Hugs

Judith

Thank you. Last night she slept curled next to me and when I
woke up she did upside-downy-head and purred and made me smile.

I do hope we will have more time together without her being in any
sort of pain. She is sitting on my lap right now, purring and
feeling better thanks to the pain meds. I'm giving her hugs and
scritches every chance I get. Unfortunately, she also thinks I'm
going to pop her back into the carrier and take her to the scary
place where they poke and prod and stick her with needles. When
I go anywhere near where it's stored she runs.

Unfortunately, she's still not eating much. I have a liquid
appetite stimulant to add to her food but it doesn't do a heck of
a lot of good if she won't eat. What she doesn't understand is
if she eats she'll feel better and I won't pop her into that
carrier and take her to the scary place any time soon. sigh

Jill

Sorry to hear this Jill.

Meantime, I embark on a new mix with 2 dogs added here. They are
13YO's. 1 was a late spay with cancer already and not long for this
world. We give her a final real home instead of a cage. Her
brother is low vision due to cataracts.

Thank you for taking them in, Carol. You are a kind person.

Jill

Unfortunatly it didn't work. The male was barking and rushing Luko (up
to baby gate). We tried but they took them back.