Old July 27th 14, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
toci

Default Koala

On Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:35:19 PM UTC-5, Joy wrote:
On 7/26/2014 3:28 PM, Sylvia M wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message

On 7/26/2014 1:28 PM, Judith Latham wrote:

In article ,

Joy wrote:

As you may remember, Waffles went to the Bridge several weeks ago.

Since then Pickles has been demanding a lot of attention, and

occasionally crying. I decided she should have a companion. The

consensus was that a young male would be best.

Our local animal shelter is having a special - on Fridays, the cat

adoption fee is $5! I went today and found a 4 month old neutered

tabby. They say he's a brown tabby, but he looks gray and black to

me.

Anyway, the sign on the cage said his name was Wallace. I

completed

the paperwork and was surprised to see that, instead of Wallace, it

said

his name is Koala Bear. I checked to make sure it was the same cat,

and

it was.

I'm dropping the "Bear", because koalas aren't bears. However, the

name

Koala couldn't have been more perfect for me. I'm an Aussiephile,

and

have been to Australia six times, and have held koalas on three

different occasions.

Right now Koala is in hiding. I don't even know where he is. I put

the

carrier in the room I'd prepared for him and opened it. When I

checked

half an hour later, he still was in the carrier. I checked just

now,

and he isn't in the carrier. He also isn't under the bed. The

closet

door doesn't close tightly, so I suppose that's where he is. I

certainly couldn't find him anywhere else. I'm not going to try to

find

him now. I have an appointment to have the vet check him on Monday

afternoon. I hope I can find him by then.

Pickles is aware he's there. While I was eating my lunch, she stood

outside his door and did the "intruder" howl.

Joy

Congratulations!! Koala will soon realise he's come to a good home.

pickles is giving the intruder alert because to her that's what he

is. She

hasn't met him yet let alone get to know him.

Purrs that all goes well and when they meet they get to like each

other.

It will probably be good for Pickles to have a companion and it will

be

good for you to have another kitty, which is important too.

Good Luck.

Judith

Thanks, Judith. Koala is still staying in his carrier whenever I look

in on him, but he has eaten and used the litter box, so I know he's

okay. I have an appointment to have my vet check him Monday

afternoon. After he's recovered from that I'll try to get him out of

the carrier. Until then I'll leave him alone. For one thing, he won't

feel threatened. For another, it will be easier to get him to the vet

if he's already in the carrier. ;-)

Pickles has only given the intruder alert twice, both yesterday.

Today she expressed great interest when I was about to go into the

room where he is, so I waited until she had given up. It isn't time

for them to meet yet. However, I saw that as a good sign.

Yes, I think it will be good for both of us, although I suspect he may

bond to her before he bonds to me. I was told he's "still a little

feral" and not used to people. Eventually I'm sure he'll come around.

As long as he and Pickles get along, I can wait.

Joy

--

Joy Unlimited

Colorful Crocheted Critters

Photos at http://www.PictureTrail.com/joy9

Perhaps get down to his level on the floor, near the carrier and have

cat-chats

with him? For him to get used to you, and bond a bit?

Drop a few treats into the carrier?

HTH

Sylvia

That's a good idea. It remains to be seen whether I can do it. Oh, I

can probably get down on the floor, but getting up might be a bit of a

problem. I'm a bit older than he is - about 78 years older. ;-)

Joy

That's in human years, I believe. Toci