Old May 28th 21, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk[_4_]

Default Buffy's Hiding Again

jmcquown wrote:

On 5/27/2021 3:29 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
On 5/25/2021 4:25 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
Buffy started hiding again. Saturday she ate but not nearly
as much as she had been. I literally picked her up and set
her in front of the food. Nope. Yesterday she didn't eat.
She did use the litter box (there was poop and pee to scoop
both morning and before I went to bed) but she's mostly
stayed out of sight since Sunday morning.

When I left for work this morning she was on a chair under
the dining room table. I gave her scritches, told her to
eat! I had hoped she'd come out and eat while I was at work
today. I found her in the back corner of the closet when I
got home. She ate a little bit of the gooshy food while I
was at work but not much. All she wants to do is sleep.

My poor Buffy girl could use some more purrs. Meanwhile, I
need to make another vet appointment. The predisone appeared
to be making her feel better but now... sigh

Jill

Hi Jill

How is Buffy today? I do hope she's feeling a bit brighter.
Would she take food if you offered it from your fingers? Is she
allowed anything lie cream cheese. Sweep (RB) and Sophie (RB)
both loved to lick Brie cheese from my fingers. It's messy but
just a thought that something different and creamy might tempt
her taste buds.

Mega purrs and prayers from here and I'll post to our FB
friends too.

Hugs

Judi

Sorry for the late reply. I got home from work yesterday only to
find my internet connection was out and it didn't come back until
just before bedtime last night.

Unfortunately, Buffy isn't doing much better. I dropped her off
at the veterinary clinic before work today (her appointment was
for 1:40pm, I work 10-4). This time she saw the vet who did the
teeth extractions. Even without the biopsy, her blood work shows
a higher elevation of calcium than the last blood panel. He is
certain the mass in her upper jaw is a malignant tumor. He gave
her a super duper steroid shot and told me to discontinue the
steroid drops I've been adding to her food. He also gave her a
72-hour pain shot and sent me home with a week's worth of pain
meds to be given by mouth, every 12 hours starting on Monday
evening.

The oral pain medication comes in pre-measured doses in individual
syringes. When I expressed concerns about giving it to her he
said, "You don't have to pry her mouth open, just get it near her
mouth and squirt it. She'll get it."

My boss (yes, he's a keeper!) shooed me out of the office as soon
as they called to say Buffy was ready for me to pick her up.

When we got home Buffy immediately went to her water bowl to take
a nice long drink of water. Meanwhile, I dished up some fresh
gooshy food and when she finished drinking her fill she ate a few
bites.

She's curled up on a pillow on the sofa behind me now. She's not
hiding and she did sleep curled up next to me last night. She
sure wasn't thrilled when I popped her into the carrier after I
got dressed for work this morning.

Unfortunately, I think time is slipping away. This time next
month...

Jill

at least she's more comfortable now. Purrs and prayers. Hopefully
you'll have more quality time together.

Hugs

Judith

Thank you. Last night she slept curled next to me and when I woke up
she did upside-downy-head and purred and made me smile.

I do hope we will have more time together without her being in any
sort of pain. She is sitting on my lap right now, purring and
feeling better thanks to the pain meds. I'm giving her hugs and
scritches every chance I get. Unfortunately, she also thinks I'm
going to pop her back into the carrier and take her to the scary
place where they poke and prod and stick her with needles. When I go
anywhere near where it's stored she runs.

Unfortunately, she's still not eating much. I have a liquid
appetite stimulant to add to her food but it doesn't do a heck of a
lot of good if she won't eat. What she doesn't understand is if she
eats she'll feel better and I won't pop her into that carrier and
take her to the scary place any time soon. sigh

Jill

Sorry to hear this Jill.

Meantime, I embark on a new mix with 2 dogs added here. They are
13YO's. 1 was a late spay with cancer already and not long for this
world. We give her a final real home instead of a cage. Her brother
is low vision due to cataracts.