Old April 4th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cat-Care Tip:

Matthew AKA NMR wrote:

A timid cat will feel better if he has a safe hiding place in every room. A
covered cat bed or a little kitty tent placed in a quiet corner of each room
will help him spend less time under the bed and more time with you.

LOL, how about "A covered cat bed or a little kitty tent placed in a quiet
corner of each room will help him spend less time under the bed and more
time in the kitty tent in the corner."

That would be cuter, though.

Cats can get upper respiratory bacterial and viral infections--in other
words, colds. But we can't catch our cats' colds and they can't catch ours.

Ah, the good old days...

Cats naturally compete for food, and are uncomfortable eating in very close
proximity to one another. Give each of your cats their own separate food
bowl, and space them well apart at meal times.

All my cats like to eat in separate places. Licky changes his feeding
location daily. But they do seem happier and more relaxed when they're
spread out while eating.

The plastic ring from the top of a milk or juice container is a favorite toy
for many cats.

I can certainly vouch for that!

If you keep your cat's litter box in the bathroom, the steam from your
showers may make the litter damp. Keep the box uncovered so the litter can
dry out quickly.

Hmm... I've always had the litter box in the bathroom, a covered box
at that. I've never noticed any problem with this.

As a courtesy to your veterinarian, always trim your cat's nails before you
take her in to the vet's office.

LOL...

If you live alone, make a plan concerning who will care for your cat if
something happens to you. Give a neighbor a key to your home, and carry a
card with you that says you have a cat at home who must be taken care of,
and whom to contact.

This is a good idea. I haven't done this but I should.

Make sure to change the water in your cat's water dish several times each
day.

Are they serious?? I change it once a day, and that's when I'm being
good about it.

I wonder if it's different when you have moving water, ie, a fountain?

Joyce