Old July 18th 14, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default welcome home kitty

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 7/18/2014 4:09 PM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 7/17/2014 3:04 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

You've got THAT right! Every summer, here in Arizona (where the outside
temperature reaches well into three figures Fahrenheit) you have people
who leave pets and children in closed automobiles while they go
shopping! Usually passersby will notice the kids, but the pets are
another story. (One police K-9 officer left his canine partner in a
locked car until the dog died - I think the cop was arrested.)

I don't understand why people take pets on shopping trips. If you want
to take your dog or cat for a ride in the car, do it. For them. Not if
you're just going to shut them in the car while you go shopping. That's
not fun. And it can be deadly.

Jill

~~~~~~
Exactly! I never took my cats on a shopping trip (there's no point in
that), but I used to travel with my cat (when I only had one) from Texas
to Ohio. I did that when I visited my family for several weeks. When I
was on the road, I would go to a drive-thru for lunch and eat it in the
car, with the air conditioner running. I would make a *very fast* run
to the restroom and would leave the motor running with air
conditioner--lock the car and take and extra set of keys with me. It
was so hot in Texas in the summer that I would not take a chance of
turning off the engine with my cat in the car for even a few minutes. I
also made some trips by plane with my cat. I paid to keep her in the
cabin with me, and I always had a fear that I would leave her behind in
the airport when I had been reading and got the call to board the
plane. In reality, I cannot imagine forgetting her, but I looped a long
belt through the handle on her carry case and over my arm. That way,
there was no possibility of walking off without her.

MaryL

When I went back to west TN to get Persia out of jail (I couldn't bear
keeping her boarded any longer, plus I needed more clothes and I wanted
my own car) John and I drove back. That route took us through
Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia at the beginning of summer. Hot
weather, for sure. We'd stopped for lunch and restroom breaks on the
way. Yes, we kept her in the locked car with the AC running. We ate
fast, let me tell you. I had also already figured out which hotels
chains along the route were pet-friendly. I can't think of any reason
to take a dog or a cat on a shopping trip.

Coincidentally, John just called. His neighbor was gone on an overnight
trip and took her cat with her. (Apparently she doesn't think a cat can
stand being alone for a day.) The kicker: she doesn't put her cat in a
carrier when she's driving. Guess what happened? She accidentally shut
the cat's tail in the car door. OMG, poor Yang!

Jill

~~~~~~
Ouch!!! That poor cat. I had my thumb slammed in a car door years ago, and
it was incredibly painful. I hope the tail wasn't permanently injured.

Now that I have more than one cat, I use a pet sitter when I go on a trip
(which is seldom). With more than one cat, they have companionship and I
think they are much happier when they can stay in their own environment. I
have used the same pet sitter for 9 or 10 years, and she is fabulous.

MaryL