Old February 24th 05, 12:08 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"A.Pismo Clam" wrote in message

We are about to introduce 1 more sweet, all-black kitty to our other two
tabbies which have been with us for 7 years.

Do we need another litter box to accommodate the newest, who is about 8
months old and 6lb. 4oz? The other two are about 10 lbs each.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

The "rule" is one litter box per cat, plus one.

Otoh, except for when one of my cats was pooping outside of the box many
years ago (& I therefore had 2 cats, with a total of 4 or 5 boxes, in order
to solve her problem), I usually have the same number of boxes as I have
cats. Right now, 2 cats and one main box, with another box that gets
occasional use. Otoh, I scoop the main box out 3 times/day, sometimes more,
and it's the biggest litter box I could find.

Considering your cats are medium - largish, I'd have corresponding sized
litter boxes. Definitely not little ones. Otherewise, a cat could have all
4 paws in the box, & squat, *assuming* it's peeing/pooping _in_ the box,
when in reality the cat's rear is overhanging the box's edge!

Cathy