Injured cat, emergency vet on his way...what to do until then

Old April 12th 05, 11:18 PM
Sharon in Boston via CatKB.com

Default Injured cat, emergency vet on his way...what to do until then

Hi,

We found a cat in our yard this afternoon, looks like he was just hit by a
car, or fell..He was limping, barely walking, left leg seems out of joint -
it is at an "off" angle..there is a big scrape at the "hip" part of the
leg..

We have him on a pillow in a box...We called the emergency vet, he is
supposed to be here ASAP.

What should we do until then - the cat seems calm, he is lying down on the
pillow. Should we put a blanket over him, like when a person goes into
shock? Give him some tuna fish to nibble on to keep him happy?

thanks so much..I think we're more scared than he is!!!

Sharon

Old April 12th 05, 11:29 PM
Mathew Kagis

"Sharon in Boston via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Hi,

We found a cat in our yard this afternoon, looks like he was just hit by a
car, or fell..He was limping, barely walking, left leg seems out of

joint -
it is at an "off" angle..there is a big scrape at the "hip" part of the
leg..

We have him on a pillow in a box...We called the emergency vet, he is
supposed to be here ASAP.

What should we do until then - the cat seems calm, he is lying down on the
pillow. Should we put a blanket over him, like when a person goes into
shock? Give him some tuna fish to nibble on to keep him happy?

thanks so much..I think we're more scared than he is!!!

Sharon

DON'T feed him!!!! If the vet needs to take him for surgery, food in the
belly is a bad idea. Water should be fine & he'll probably want some...
Other than that, do what you're doing... Keep him comfey & wait for the
vet..
--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old April 12th 05, 11:58 PM
Elle

http://petplace.netscape.com/article...asp?artID=2526 has some info:

Note especially applying pressure to bleeding wounds, administering CPR, and
keeping the cat covered to help calm him/her.

I'll google a bit more re the shock and feeding questions. I'm just
searching using {"emergency care" cats}

Old April 13th 05, 12:45 AM
-L.

No food or water. If it is cold, but a blanket on him, otherwise, just
try to keep him still. He may bite, so handle him as little as
possible. And try to find his ownere asap - of course.

Hope he is ok...

-L.

Old April 13th 05, 01:06 AM
Mary

"Sharon in Boston via CatKB.com" wrote:

thanks so much..I think we're more scared than he is!!!

Sharon--I hope he is okay. Please keep us posted. Thanks for
taking care of him.

Old April 13th 05, 01:50 AM
MaryL

"Sharon in Boston via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Hi,

We found a cat in our yard this afternoon, looks like he was just hit by a
car, or fell..He was limping, barely walking, left leg seems out of
joint -
it is at an "off" angle..there is a big scrape at the "hip" part of the
leg..

We have him on a pillow in a box...We called the emergency vet, he is
supposed to be here ASAP.

What should we do until then - the cat seems calm, he is lying down on the
pillow. Should we put a blanket over him, like when a person goes into
shock? Give him some tuna fish to nibble on to keep him happy?

thanks so much..I think we're more scared than he is!!!

Sharon

I would say "do nothing" because the vet is on the way. Don't move him, and
don't give food or water. Just keep him comfortable. Don't even use a
blanket unless he seems chilled. The less you do, the better, because you
don't want to contribute any further injuries (and you don't want to
frighten him so he might make a sudden movement on his own).

Thanks for taking care of this little kitty.

MaryL

Old April 13th 05, 04:05 AM
Sharon in Boston via CatKB.com

Update:
The vet came shortly after I got off the computer..He took the cat..and my
credit card number )..We didn't want him to absorb the cost, even though
he offered to..He'll keep us notified about the cat's condition..We named
him "Spinner".

The vet works with a local adoption agency who'll help place him after he
heals. My husband and I can't adopt him, we travel too much for work -
plants are about all we can handle..Thanks everyone!!

Sharon

Old April 13th 05, 04:56 AM
Candace

-
plants are about all we can handle..Thanks everyone!!

Sharon

Sharon, you did a very nice thing by helping the kitty. A lot of
people would not do nearly as much. You can feel very good about
yourself. And it's really nice of the vet to do all that as well as
help get him a home. That's pretty rare, too. My vet sure wouldn't do
it.

Good luck and I hope Spinner has a quick recovery and gets a wonderful
(indoor) home.

Candace

Old April 13th 05, 05:10 AM
Mary

"Sharon in Boston via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Update:
The vet came shortly after I got off the computer..He took the cat..and my
credit card number )..We didn't want him to absorb the cost, even

though
he offered to..He'll keep us notified about the cat's condition..We named
him "Spinner".

The vet works with a local adoption agency who'll help place him after he
heals. My husband and I can't adopt him, we travel too much for work -
plants are about all we can handle..Thanks everyone!!

Sharon

Sharon, I'm so glad he is okay--you're just wonderful.

Old April 13th 05, 08:53 AM
MaryL

"Sharon in Boston via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Update:
The vet came shortly after I got off the computer..He took the cat..and my
credit card number )..We didn't want him to absorb the cost, even
though
he offered to..He'll keep us notified about the cat's condition..We named
him "Spinner".

The vet works with a local adoption agency who'll help place him after he
heals. My husband and I can't adopt him, we travel too much for work -
plants are about all we can handle..Thanks everyone!!

Sharon

Sharon, this is wonderful news. You and your husband are special people.
Please keep us updated.

MaryL

An idea to discuss (recipes/rpca emergency fund) Debbie Wilson Cat anecdotes 56 December 24th 04 10:19 PM
Emergency Vet Fund - UPDATE Yowie Cat anecdotes 26 December 22nd 04 09:07 PM
Emergency Marina Cat anecdotes 138 September 29th 04 02:00 AM
Animal Emergency Law Petition kaeli Cat health & behaviour 20 May 22nd 04 09:11 PM
Hugo Katt. Emergency TED visit. Lisa Katt Cat anecdotes 30 December 22nd 03 10:58 AM