How to make provisions in my will for care of my cats?

Old December 27th 03, 07:51 PM
MaryL

Default How to make provisions in my will for care of my cats?

I plan to update my will sometime within the next few weeks, and I would
like to provide protection for my cats. A friend has agreed to care for my
cats if anything were to happen to me - in fact, she asked to be named as
their guardian. That is a great comfort to me because she is wonderful with
cats and has a great deal of experience. She is also adamantly opposed to
declawing, and that is very important to me. My concern is: I want to
provide a "backup" in case this plan could not be fulfilled (just as one
does with children). I am in good health and hope this won't be needed for
many years, so I am trying to plan ahead for various possibilities. I
originally planned to name my sister as guardian to my pets (and could still
name her as secondary to my friend), but I now realize that is not a good
idea because my sister has had all of her cats declawed. After several years
of talking to her about it, it is obvious to me that she still thinks that
is the "normal" way to live with indoor cats, so I want to come up with some
plan whereby my cats would be protected against any possibility of
declawing. One of her declawed cats now sprays regularly all around the
house, so the whole atmosphere would not be what I want for my cats.

Here is one of my questions to go along with all of this: I am going to
provide a fairly substantial amount of money from my retirement plan to
provide for the care of my furbabies. If I live a normal life span, that
means that the cats involved would not be the ones I have now; so I know
that my will should provide for *any* pets under my care at the time of my
death. However, is there any reasonable way to attach conditions (such as
*no declaw*) to the money I will provide, to create some assurance that the
cats would never be declawed? As I said, I'm not concerned about the person
who will be named in my will as "first" guardian, but I do have major
concerns about what to do after that. I will obviously have a lengthy
discussion with my attorney, but I hope some of you may have some ideas for
me to take with me when I carry through with this plan. It will probably be
several weeks (or even a few months) before I do this, so I have time to do
some research if anyone wants to suggest some specific sites.

Thanks for your help! Incidentally, I live in Texas, and the will would be
drawn under Texas law.
--
MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Holly and Duffy:
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old December 27th 03, 08:33 PM
Luvskats00

Ask a lawyer!
Old December 27th 03, 08:33 PM
Luvskats00

Ask a lawyer!
Old December 27th 03, 08:50 PM
MaryL

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
Ask a lawyer!

I certainly will do that. I already have a will and will use the same
attorney to draft a new will (or add a codicil to it). At this point, I'm
just looking for suggestions of what questions I should ask because I think
this issue may be one that many attorneys do not emphasize.

MaryL

Old December 27th 03, 09:39 PM
BarB

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 13:51:37 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

I plan to update my will sometime within the next few weeks, and I would
like to provide protection for my cats.

Here is a link to one pet codicil. Perhaps you could adapt language to
fit your conditions.
http://www.whippetview.com/codicil.html

There are a number of books on the topic. This one looks interesting,
but I haven't read it.
http://www.perpetualcarebook.com/products/pcbook.htm

BarB