Raw Meat?

Old August 25th 03, 05:29 PM
Mr. Nangla

Default Raw Meat?

Hey,

What's your opinions about feeding raw meat to your cats, as I saw that
'**sozzy**' gave lamb to one of her cats? Suggestions, cautions and tales
would be great!

sham126
http://community.webshots.com/user/sham126a

Old August 26th 03, 02:33 PM

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:29:57 UTC, "Mr. Nangla"
wrote:

What's your opinions about feeding raw meat to your cats, as I saw that
'**sozzy**' gave lamb to one of her cats? Suggestions, cautions and tales
would be great!

I used to cut up beef kidneys for my Burmese a good many years ago.
They liked it, but I didn't. But it was never their primary food -
only a supplement.

Jerry
--
My cat and I are very much alike: we're both gray, we're both fat,
and we both dig in his litter box.

Old August 26th 03, 04:00 PM
Alison Smiley Perera

In article ,
"Mr. Nangla" wrote:

Hey,

What's your opinions about feeding raw meat to your cats, as I saw that
'**sozzy**' gave lamb to one of her cats? Suggestions, cautions and tales
would be great!

My two boys get trimmings from the cutting board on a regular basis. I
also try to offer "my" cat chicken wings and necks frequently (good for
his teeth and curbs his tendency to chew on unacceptable things), though
my husband doesn't want "his" cat to eat meaty bones. My cat also is
frequently successful in making the dog back down from her meaty-bone
dinner, and thus has been known to make headway on turkey necks, chicken
backs, chicken thighs, pork brisket, beef necks...etc. He enjoys chicken
hearts, but isn't much into other offal. I think I've tricked him into
eating liver a few times. He gets bits of canned fish, the occasional
raw egg yolk, basically any protein-rich snack I care to offer him.

I also gave my 6 week old foster kitten a chicken wing every other day
or so while I had her. She LOVED it!

I'd feed my guys a raw diet in a heartbeat if my husband would let me
give meaty bones to his cat.

-Alison in OH

Old August 26th 03, 05:17 PM
Katra

Alison Smiley Perera wrote:

In article ,
"Mr. Nangla" wrote:

[...]

Ditto here... :-)
I give raw beef liver from time to time, and trimmings when I am cutting
up fish, chicken and beef. I'm a bit leery of raw pork tho' as it can
carry trichinosis worms. An ugly little parasite that causes muscle cyts.

Kitties love raw egg yolks, especially duck egg yolks! They are richer
than chicken yolks. My vet told me to be careful with eggwhites, so I
don't give them that part of the egg.

We had one older kitty dying of metastatic breast cancer who would not
eat well. She adored raw emu so we fed her LOTS of that to help her keep
her weight up until the end. :-( No, she did not appear to be in any
pain or we'd have had her put to sleep. Just weak and thin. Cancer is
not fun. :-( Stormy actually lived to be about 15. Fortunately emu is
not hard to get here in Texas, even now. I got lots of it for free if I
was willing to work for it.

I can't think why raw meat would be bad as long as it's nice and fresh. :-)

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

Old August 27th 03, 07:10 AM
Dennis Carr

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:29:57 +0100, Mr. Nangla wrote:

Hey,

What's your opinions about feeding raw meat to your cats, as I saw that
'**sozzy**' gave lamb to one of her cats? Suggestions, cautions and tales
would be great!

We feed our cats raw ground beef occasionally not only as a treat, but
bengals also seem to need this sort of thing occasionally to keep them
healthy; another friend of mine does this to some of her F1 or F2 bengals
regularly (IE, daily), as their diet requires it.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.