Coyote Scare

Old August 23rd 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Default Coyote Scare

I was bringing the dogs out for their walk the other morning and it
was not quite dawn and raining, not great visibility. However, the
dogs alerted me that something was going on. Samantha, the Shi Tzu
puppy, was barking in a hostile manner that I have seldom heard from
her before and Bear, the goodwill ambassador Lab, was growling deep in
his chest in a manner that I had never heard from him before. No tail
was wagging.

Down the street, where Little Man the cat lives, there were two dog-
shapes looking up at the porch. I made sure that the dogs were well-
held by their leashes and that neither could get farther away from me
than a few feet. And then we headed down the street.

As we approached, with both dogs in full cry now, the coyotes looked
at us and ran off. I think it was Bear and I that scared them but
Samantha puffed out her little chest and took the credit.

Little Man was on a railing, _above_ his porch, and was probably quite
safe the whole time. But he still seemed happy to see the varmints
leave.

I have listened to the "song-dogs" quite happily on occasion and I
admire them for their cleverness and I understand that they are only
doing what comes naturally. But when they threaten our pets I get
hostile.

--
Will in New Haven
Old August 23rd 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message
[...]

Need to be careful of those things. We are having a big problem with them
here in Florida. One neighborhood has had several pets killed where the
coyotes actually came through the dog door.

Old August 23rd 10, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 23, 3:42*pm, Will in New Haven
wrote:
[...]

I understand. You have to respect a species that not only survives,
but
thrives, despite encroachment of their territory and efforts to
exterminate
them. But I get hostile too.

Sherry
Old August 23rd 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Will in New Haven wrote:

[...]

Makes sense - you have to protect yourself and your family first. There
are many things I admire from a distance, but don't want in my space or
near anyone I care about, such as mountain lions, grizzly bears, my
father, etc.

Joyce

--
The Internet is on computers now! -- Homer Simpson
Old August 23rd 10, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Matthew wrote:
[...]

Oh wow! The poor things must have been desperate! Of course, they'd
not be "invading" our turf, if humans had not appropriated THEIRS, but
that's no reason to be complacent about pets at risk.

Old August 23rd 10, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Coyotes aren't bothered in the least by human presence! The coyotes have
made massive encroachments into human territories that the coyotes have
never lived before!

And, yes, they can be a fatal threat to pets. Even to humans sometimes.

--
Cheryl
Old August 23rd 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl P. wrote:

Coyotes aren't bothered in the least by human presence! The coyotes have
made massive encroachments into human territories that the coyotes have
never lived before!

But in that case, probably because they were displaced from their original
habitat when humans moved in. They've gotta go somewhere!

However, I agree that they've become more habituated to humans. I guess in
the story that Will told, those coyotes were nervous enough about humans
to run off when he approached. But as with many wild species, there are
populations of coyotes that have lived close to humans for a while and
have discovered that we're not really such a threat. Bad things happen
when predators stop being afraid of us.

Joyce

--
Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico
Old August 24th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Saw a sign years ago that said "The Food Chain Stops Here" it was a picture
of the outside of a gate leading into the yard of a house with three cats.

Old August 24th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 23, 6:35*pm, "Granby" wrote:
Saw a sign years ago that said "The Food Chain Stops Here" it was a picture
of the outside of a gate leading into the yard of a house with three cats..
"Will in New Haven" wrote in

That's what Bootsie and Frank think. I have a devil of a time getting
them
inside when there's a full moon. I tell them the hunting is excellent
*all
the way up* the food chain!!

Sherry
Old August 24th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 23, 4:39*pm, wrote:
Will in New Haven wrote:

[...]

ROFL! That was unexpected. :-)