Hal Coyote's autopsy

Old April 8th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Hal Coyote's autopsy

The NY Department of Environmental COnservation released the results
of the necropsy done on poor Hal, the spunky but ill-fated coyote
caught in Central Park a couple of weeks ago. The animal had
heartworm (keep up those meds, everybody), and traces of rat poison in
his system.

It's hard out there, folks.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old April 9th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

The NY Department of Environmental COnservation released the results
of the necropsy done on poor Hal, the spunky but ill-fated coyote
caught in Central Park a couple of weeks ago. The animal had
heartworm (keep up those meds, everybody), and traces of rat poison in
his system.

It's hard out there, folks.

I hadn't realised he'd died, last thing I knew I'd thought he'd been
relocated. Very sad.

Tweed

Old April 9th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kreisleriana wrote:
The NY Department of Environmental COnservation released the results
of the necropsy done on poor Hal, the spunky but ill-fated coyote
caught in Central Park a couple of weeks ago. The animal had
heartworm (keep up those meds, everybody), and traces of rat poison in
his system.

especially when your eyeballs bleed because someone put a loop around
your throat, a muzzle over your mouth, and held you down to be "tagged"

you're "it" for the day and dead

he was in bad shape but no doubt the rough handling for tagging him
killed him.

he may have died anyway but there is little excuse for what they did to
him which caused his death. he had a weak heart. i'm not sure how they
missed the heartworms but that's another issue. and the blood thinner?
that also should be the common blood test for clotting times. rat
poison is warfarin for use in humans and quite commonly monitored.

what's good is that now, supposedly, they will review the protocols and
try not to kill other animals or at least, not hasten their demise

Old April 9th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

The NY Department of Environmental COnservation released the results
of the necropsy done on poor Hal, the spunky but ill-fated coyote
caught in Central Park a couple of weeks ago. The animal had
heartworm (keep up those meds, everybody), and traces of rat poison
in his system.

It's hard out there, folks.

I hadn't realised he'd died, last thing I knew I'd thought he'd been
relocated. Very sad.

Tweed

I thought the same thing. Why did they kill him? Why didn't they just
leave him alone? He wasn't bothering anyone. Central Park is home to drug
dealers, street hustlers (prostitutes) and thieves, but they chose to go
after a coyote who had probably been living there without a problem for
years. It's sad. We are pushing animals out of their habitats, then unruly
humans push other humans out of the areas they chose to be a nice relaxing
park, only to have this animal come and try to live and get killed for doing
so. So sad.

I saw on the news the other night police in Boston trying to get a wild tom
turkey across the road into the woods. It wanted to get to the other side
(stop with the obvious jokes!) because it's mating season. But why couldn't
it get across the road? Because we've cut into the natural habitat with
highways and cars. The poor thing was hopping up on dividing walls,
flapping its wings and refusing to be 'herded'. Well, you can't herd cats,
either, can you? (And yes, I've seen the cat herding video, pretty funny;
but I wonder how all those British shorthairs wound up in America LOL)

Jill

Old April 9th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-09 03:49:33 -0500, "jmcquown" said:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

The NY Department of Environmental COnservation released the results
of the necropsy done on poor Hal, the spunky but ill-fated coyote
caught in Central Park a couple of weeks ago. The animal had
heartworm (keep up those meds, everybody), and traces of rat poison
in his system.

It's hard out there, folks.

I hadn't realised he'd died, last thing I knew I'd thought he'd been
relocated. Very sad.

Tweed

I thought the same thing. Why did they kill him? Why didn't they just
leave him alone? He wasn't bothering anyone.

I dont' think they killed him. I think he died while they were trying
to relocate him. If he had rat poison in his system, I imagine he was
scavaging in areas where people put out poison for rats and may not
have been long for the world if that kept up. I imagine it's pretty
dangerous to eat stuff lying around NY since there ARE so many rats.

Old April 9th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-09 03:49:33 -0500, "jmcquown"
said:
Christina Websell wrote:
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

The NY Department of Environmental Conservation released the
results of the necropsy done on poor Hal, the spunky but ill-fated
coyote caught in Central Park a couple of weeks ago. The animal
had heartworm (keep up those meds, everybody), and traces of rat
poison in his system.

It's hard out there, folks.

I hadn't realized he'd died, last thing I knew I'd thought he'd been
relocated. Very sad.

Tweed

I thought the same thing. Why did they kill him? Why didn't they
just leave him alone? He wasn't bothering anyone.

I don't think they killed him. I think he died while they were trying
to relocate him. If he had rat poison in his system, I imagine he was
savaging in areas where people put out poison for rats and may not
have been long for the world if that kept up. I imagine it's pretty
dangerous to eat stuff lying around NY since there ARE so many rats.

He died while being relocated, they thought of the stress of being
relocated, but wanted to be sure, hence the necropsy.

Old April 9th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-09, Karen wrote:

I dont' think they killed him. I think he died while they were trying
to relocate him. If he had rat poison in his system, I imagine he was
scavaging in areas where people put out poison for rats and may not
have been long for the world if that kept up. I imagine it's pretty
dangerous to eat stuff lying around NY since there ARE so many rats.

Rat eats poison, coyote eats easily caught rat, coyote gets rat poison.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old April 12th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bev A. wrote:
They didn't kill him, he died when they were tagging him just prior to
releasing him in a new location. The necropsy revealed that he'd
ingested rat poison and also had heart worms.

Warfarin causes bleeding and he was bleeding from his eyeballs by their
putting his neck in a noose and a muzzle and bonding his feet - that's
the immediate cause of death, not the heart worms. Why did they not
look for clotting times and heart worms - that would have been
reasonable and considerate. Sounds like sloppy and cruel treatment of a
coyote by people who should know better but could care less. Not
atypical for New York city. There will be a review because the death
was preventable. He was treated way too roughly. And he did not deserve
this. If you saw the picture where the look in his eyes was that of one
who knew his life was not going to be good. A very sad look in his
cage.

Central Park is home to drug
dealers, street hustlers (prostitutes) and thieves, but they chose to go
after a coyote who had probably been living there without a problem for
years. It's sad. We are pushing animals out of their habitats, then unruly

-- Bev A.

Your characterization of Central Park is does not jive with my
observations. Are you talking from recent experience then? About the
only hustling I saw in Central Park was three card monte.

Abelard MIA Pat Cat anecdotes 49 December 15th 05 09:59 AM
Bewa coyotes killing cats J. Marz Cat health & behaviour 64 August 27th 04 03:49 AM
Cats and Coyotes Dick Peavey Cat health & behaviour 30 July 4th 04 03:07 AM
Will Lion dung keep away coyotes? Cindy Compton Cats - misc 12 November 23rd 03 06:45 AM
Coyotes [email protected] Cat rescue 6 November 12th 03 05:00 PM