fondue dinner

Old April 17th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default fondue dinner

On 2006-04-17, jmcquown penned:

I chat with a woman who lives in South Africa and that's what she
calls them; guess it just rubbed off on me Sounds better than
saying someone wheels a BBQ grill up to your table in a restaurant!

Ahh!

We had a great grilled dinner tonight with the leftovers from
yesterday's fondue. Grilled the rest of the sinfully thick steak,
grilled the hadoumi (sp?) on some foil (I don't recommend this -- the
cheese is soft enough to stick to the foil. Would a cookie sheet
survive grilling?), and grilled the mushrooms in foil pouches with
butter and garlic.

[Warning to vegetarians -- possibly gross meat description ahead]

Something about either living in Colorado or living with a "rare" kind
of meat-eater has significantly changed my steak eating habits. I
used to go for well-done. Then for a while I was doing medium-well.
I couldn't stand the "bloody" meat DH ate. Something's changed,
though. I'm finding that the steak tastes best to me when the center
is rare enough to be red and stretchy. It's crazy! And when DH and I
split the steak this evening, we *both* thought it was perfect. I
probably would have retched a couple of years ago. It may have
something to do with having such amazingly high quality beef so
readily available here.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 17th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

The meat was very good, but I don't want to say what we paid for those
two pounds. One of the topics of discussion was organic meat, as one
friend's parents raise cattle. He said they don't qualify as organic
because they use antibiotics on sick animals. They liken completely
non-antibiotic meat to never going to the doctor, say there can be all
sorts of worms and who knows what. I would imagine it's more likely
that those cows aren't used for beef (which would explain a lot about
the prices).

The organic beef vendor at our local market says that they use antibiotics
on cows if necessary but that they then receive a different ear tag. They
go to the slaughterhouse on a different day and are sold as regular beef.
They do not deny the animals medical treatment.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old April 17th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-17, Susan M penned:

The organic beef vendor at our local market says that they use
antibiotics on cows if necessary but that they then receive a
different ear tag. They go to the slaughterhouse on a different day
and are sold as regular beef. They do not deny the animals medical
treatment.

That makes a lot of sense.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 17th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

I chat with a woman who lives in South Africa and that's what she calls
them; guess it just rubbed off on me Sounds better than saying someone
wheels a BBQ grill up to your table in a restaurant!

Hey, I wouldn't mind that! Guess it would have to be out on the patio,
though.

Tish, who now has a hankerin' for boerewors (a kind of beef and pork
farmer's sausage spiced with cumin, corriander and a touch of cloves)

Sounds good; I'll have to ask her about that!

That does sound extremely yummy.

Joyce
Old April 17th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Anyway, yup, that's what I meant. The farm animal theme makes it hard
to take anything seriously, which makes it more fun to razz people, I
think.

"13 chickens! Beat that!"
"No bull!"
"One piggy. One little piggy went to the market ..."
Okay, it's a silly game.

Sounds as though certain substances might enhance the experience.

Joyce
Old April 17th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-17, Karen AKA Kajikit penned:

They probably would, but we were all mostly lucid. A couple of
drinks, but no one was sloshed. This time =)

It sounds like lots of fun!

Definitely!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 18th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

It definitely wasn't feta. Some kind of goat cheese (maybe it wasn't
Greek at all; are there non-Greek goat cheeses?). Herby, but not
pungent in the same way as feta. I do love feta, though.

I've had really fresh non-pungent feta. It's really delicious.

I worry about burning the chocolate or cheese -- it seems much more
involved. But maybe I'll try it eventually. There's a place called
The Melting Pot around here where you can do all sorts of fondue, but
I've never been there.

Definitely worth the trip! I've been many times, with friends and
family. Go with someone whose conversation you enjoy,though, cause
you're going to have lots and lots of time to talk. It's not a place
for a first date. If the date turns out to be a dud, you're stuck there
for 3 and a half hours with him. lol So far I've been very lucky in
my choice of dinner companions, and lots of fun was had by all.

Bring lots of money, though. It can get pricey.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita