And ANOTHER cat that has a seizure ...

Old March 6th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default And ANOTHER cat that has a seizure ...

Five years ago, my Dusty cat had ONE seizure. After blood work, a night
in the hospital, x-rays, etc. ... she was sent home with the vet
shrugging her shoulders saying "I don't know, I see it in cats
sometimes. They'll have one seizure then be fine for the rest of their
life." and so far she has been fine ... never happened again.

Three weeks ago, my Oreo cat ... I awoke to him having a very bad
seizure. It looked ALOT like what the Dusty cat went through. FREAKED
me out (as well as HIM I am sure).

Again, after blood work, a night at the vet ... the same 'diagnosis'.

As with Dusty, no toxins found in the blood, no signs of physical
trauma ... she stated that 'epilepsy is very hard to diagnose in cats'
and for Oreo, she prescribed phenobarbital twice a day. (For Dusty it
was valium and a steroid).

With both cats, after seeing them walking around like ZOMBIES I made
the choice to take them OFF the drugs after three or four days.
, and they have been fine. In the five years since Dusty's ordeal she
has never had a seizure (in my sight anyway). The same with Oreo - in
three - almost four weeks.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I have NO plants in the house,
no drugs - I don't even keep Tylenol in the house. Any cleaning fluids
or chemicals - are tightly sealed and quite inaccessible to the kids -
and I think they are too smart to 'taste' any of that stuff anyway ...

I do live in South Florida where there are several types of toxic
lizards/frogs/spiders ... etc. .... but these guys do not go outside
(although I am constantly getting lizards in the house) ... but
wouldn't that type of toxin show up in the blood work if it was from a
creepy crawler?

Oreo is fine now ... back to his old stuck-up, yet paranoid self. If
nothing else ... the experience has bonded him closer to me.

Has anyone ever had a ONE (unexplainable) seizure with their cat ...
cats ... katz?

John R.
Old March 6th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I have NO plants in the house,
no drugs - I don't even keep Tylenol in the house. Any cleaning fluids
or chemicals - are tightly sealed and quite inaccessible to the kids -
and I think they are too smart to 'taste' any of that stuff anyway ...
I do live in South Florida where there are several types of toxic
lizards/frogs/spiders ... etc. .... but these guys do not go outside
(although I am constantly getting lizards in the house) ... but
wouldn't that type of toxin show up in the blood work if it was from a
creepy crawler?
Oreo is fine now ... back to his old stuck-up, yet paranoid self. If
nothing else ... the experience has bonded him closer to me.
Has anyone ever had a ONE (unexplainable) seizure with their cat ...
cats ... katz?

John R.

Since you asked......but I truly believe this would have *nothing* to do
with your situation, there in the land of my birth and upbringing: yes,
years ago, moving from CA back to FL, when we were on the road
a few miles from Gallup, NM, I gave my diabetic cat his am shot of
insulin. BUT all of the cats (3) were off their feed during the trip, and
did not eat their usual fill (diabetic cat was a hearty eater normally).
Between major cities in east TX, he had a big seizure in back seat
quarters we had fixed up for the cats. He had *never* had one
before. I forced some Tang into side of his mouth; he soon came
to...rolling into Wichita Falls, TX, I got on phone with a very kind
local vet there who informed me it was an insulin overdose as cat
had not had food (blood sugar) to balance it, and warned me NOT
to give him any more insulin shots till we reached our destination
(no charge from vet, bless him to this day). That's the only
experience I've had with any seizures in any of our cats to date.
Sorry I don't think that's gonna enlighten your problem.
Those bufous frogs will give pets seizures. But like me, you
don't let cats outside, right?

Old March 6th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"John Rahn" wrote in message
Five years ago, my Dusty cat had ONE seizure. After blood work, a night
in the hospital, x-rays, etc. ... she was sent home with the vet
shrugging her shoulders saying "I don't know, I see it in cats
sometimes. They'll have one seizure then be fine for the rest of their
life." and so far she has been fine ... never happened again.

Three weeks ago, my Oreo cat ... I awoke to him having a very bad
seizure. It looked ALOT like what the Dusty cat went through. FREAKED
me out (as well as HIM I am sure).

Again, after blood work, a night at the vet ... the same 'diagnosis'.

What type of blood panel did the do the simple panel does not show
everything average cost about $50. You need a full work up if it is
epilepsy

As with Dusty, no toxins found in the blood, no signs of physical
trauma ... she stated that 'epilepsy is very hard to diagnose in cats'
and for Oreo, she prescribed Phenobarbital twice a day. (For Dusty it
was valium and a steroid).

With both cats, after seeing them walking around like ZOMBIES I made
the choice to take them OFF the drugs after three or four days.
, and they have been fine. In the five years since Dusty's ordeal she
has never had a seizure (in my sight anyway). The same with Oreo - in
three - almost four weeks.

What did the blood work show and did you have a neurological work up done to
make positive it was seizures

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I have NO plants in the house,
no drugs - I don't even keep Tylenol in the house. Any cleaning fluids
or chemicals - are tightly sealed and quite inaccessible to the kids -
and I think they are too smart to 'taste' any of that stuff anyway ...

Don't be too sure there are plenty of cats that love the smell of bleach.
Antifreeze is a sweet treat to them

I do live in South Florida where there are several types of toxic
lizards/frogs/spiders ... etc. .... but these guys do not go outside
(although I am constantly getting lizards in the house) ... but
wouldn't that type of toxin show up in the blood work if it was from a
creepy crawler?

Not always some times you have to screen directly for it

Oreo is fine now ... back to his old stuck-up, yet paranoid self. If
nothing else ... the experience has bonded him closer to me.

Has anyone ever had a ONE (unexplainable) seizure with their cat ...
cats ... katz?

John R.

That is strange about the seizure.

Something has to be trigger the odds of having 2 cats with epilepsy is
almost as high as winning the lottery unless from the same litter.

I also live in central Florida.

You said that the cat was walking around like a zombie on valium ( diazepam)
how much was the vet subscribed should have been no more than 5mg a day and
have to watch the kidneys and liver on that drug

My rumble has to take diazepam 2x times a day but he has had multiple
seizures that I have seen in the past.

There are certain geckos and lizards even spider common in USA that can
cause seizures if ingested on certain cats a reaction to the creature. A
snake bite can also cause seizures depending on the snake.

Matthew

Old March 6th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

John Rahn wrote:
Has anyone ever had a ONE (unexplainable) seizure with their cat ...
cats ... katz?

Yes, but the circumstances were very different. I woke up one Sunday
morning to Nikki having a seizure on the floor by my bed. I rushed her
to the emergency vet but she never regained consciousness, and after
several hours they rang me and said she had almost certainly suffered
brain damage and it would be kindest to release her. The only thing that
showed up in the bloodwork was that her potassium level was very low,
but this could have been caused by the seizure itself. I suspect it was
caused by the new asthma medicine I'd started iving her just a few days
earlier. The vet also said she might have had a brain tumour.

Anyway, glad to hear Dusty and Oreo are alright. We're purring that they
stay that way. It's a frightening sight. Miranda's mum has had two
epileptic seizures six months apart. Apparently it's hereditary, so I
have to keep a close watch on Miranda.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 6th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

That is strange about the seizure.

Something has to be trigger the odds of having 2 cats with epilepsy is
almost as high as winning the lottery unless from the same litter.

sorry should have said seizures not epilepsy

and why did he put the other cat on valium instead of the other valium
( diazepam ) is a last resort medicine to use since it can shut down the
kidneys and liver. And what type of steriod did he use. That again is a
second measure use. Phenobarbital is almost standard prescription by vets.
I am just curious why the vet did

My rumble can not use Phenobarbital he is allergic to it he almost died
becasue of it.

Old March 6th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

John Rahn wrote:
Five years ago, my Dusty cat had ONE seizure. After blood work, a night
in the hospital, x-rays, etc. ... she was sent home with the vet
shrugging her shoulders saying "I don't know, I see it in cats
sometimes. They'll have one seizure then be fine for the rest of their
life." and so far she has been fine ... never happened again.

Three weeks ago, my Oreo cat ... I awoke to him having a very bad
seizure. It looked ALOT like what the Dusty cat went through. FREAKED
me out (as well as HIM I am sure).

Again, after blood work, a night at the vet ... the same 'diagnosis'.

snip

Has anyone ever had a ONE (unexplainable) seizure with their cat ...
cats ... katz?

John R.

Not my cats but several years ago I had an unexplained grand mal
seizure. It came out of nowhere and hasn't happened again (touch wood!)
but all the blood tests, CT scan, EEG, and whatever else showed
absolutely no reason for it. The doctors said sometimes it just
happens. However, if it happens again I will be put on medication for
the rest of my life.

Who's to say it can't "just happen" to a cat? I don't understand
though, if the vet couldn't determine a cause, why prescribe the meds?
I could see if was a repeat occurrence (and at that point I don't think
I'd accept "I don't know" as an answer either!) but it seems a bit
drastic otherwise.

Skritches to the furry masters

--
Elise (supervised by Gossamer & Jeeves)
pics:
Old March 8th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Oreo is fine now ... back to his old stuck-up, yet paranoid self. If
nothing else ... the experience has bonded him closer to me.

Has anyone ever had a ONE (unexplainable) seizure with their cat ...
cats ... katz?

My sister had a cat who had seizures. He had his first one when I was
walking him outside (they were leash-trained). I totally freaked and
we all rushed him off to the vet, but nothing. He was fine and just
slept after that. He had a few seizures after that, but nothing
serious, and he went to the Rainbow Bridge around 15 years old. He was
Topaz's brother.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old March 9th 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sorry .. meant to respond to ya'all's resonses earlier ... been workin
too hard ...

No, these kids do NOT go outside ... and very rarely does only one
attempt to go out ... but like I said ... lizards sneak into the house
and I usually find them pretty beat up ... never half eaten anything
like that ... I've rescued so many lizards lives ... I'm thinking of
switching from 'that one-legged guy with the cats' to 'that one-legged
guy woith the lizards' ... uhhh ... kidding ...

.... ooops ... that reminds me ... a fairly good-sized lizard jumped
into the house as I was leaving for work last evening ... better go
find him ... her ... it ...
Old March 9th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I dont know why she prescribed either drug ... I took Dusty off of
them right away and she's been fine ...