My cat had a seizure, need advice

Old March 7th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default My cat had a seizure, need advice

Hi, I have a female cat named kiki that I have had since I was about 7
years old, I am about to turn 27 so she is around 20 years old. She
has never had any major health problems and seems very healthy for her
age to me. She likes to be alone or with just myself more as she is
old but that is about it, she still remains somewhat active and will
get excited and run around once in awhile. Late last night I went to
the bathroom and heard something fall over and turned to look and saw
her stumbling around the ground, trying to walk on one side of her
body, she ran around without control of one side of her body for about
15 feet then fell on her side, I thought she was having a heart attack
or something. I ran up to her and picked her up and cradled her in my
arms not knowing what was going on, she was twitching and foaming at
the mouth. this lasted for about maybe 1 to 2 minutes. After it
stopped she appeared normal and sat in my arms meowing. After about 5
minutes I set her down on the ground and it appeared that she could
not walk. I was very worried at this point, she wouldnt move and when
she tried she would have to stop before falling over. Well after about
10 more minutes I got some treats and gave them to her, I then tried
to get her to come to me and she did. She is now walking normal and
seems to be back to her old self. I know she must have had a seizure
of some kind. I'm now wondering what to do. I really do not have the
money at all right now to take her to the vet, this is the worst
possible time for me having just had a major surgery and being unable
to work for 10 weeks. I just dont have the money, Ive read it can be
expensive for this type of diagnosis as well.

I'm hoping that this is not to uncommon, especially in older cats, and
that she will be ok. If anyone has any experience with this and can
give me some advice it would be great. Thank you.

Old March 7th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:09:06 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Find the money and get her to the vet. If you have to eat Ramen noodles
for a month, then do it.

--
Lynne
Old March 7th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

-----------
A seizure is a symptom, not a diagnosis. It is not a normal part of aging.
I really don't see that you have any choice but to take Kiki to the vet. If
you are short of money, see if the veterinarian would be willing to work out
a payment plan. But the main thing is that Kiki really needs to be seen
ASAP. Good luck and please let us know what happens.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 7th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Find the money and get her to the vet. If you have to eat Ramen noodles
for a month, then do it.

--
Lynne- Hide quoted text -

This may sound harsh, but Lynne is correct.
I have just had a cat out of surgery & it cost me 2 weeks wages, but I
wouldn't have done it any other way.
If the cat is as precious as you say, then you will find a way, even
if it means borrowing the money, or asking family to chip in . Is
there a charity near you, or even a cat sanctuary that might help out
here?
S;o)
Good luck to your cat & you both

Old March 7th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I have to agree with the others in saying please get her to a vet.
It's entirely possible that this seizure is a precursor to something
else and at her age, why take that chance?

I've been in money situations too, so I can relate. When my cat had to
be hospitalized for 10 days, I had an honest talk with the vet about
my finances. They were willing to let me make monthly payments (in any
amount, as long as I kept paying). Call around and find a vet who will
work with you.

Old March 7th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Mar 7, 12:49?pm, "Rene S." wrote:
I have to agree with the others in saying please get her to a vet.
It's entirely possible that this seizure is a precursor to something
else and at her age, why take that chance?

I've been in money situations too, so I can relate. When my cat had to
be hospitalized for 10 days, I had an honest talk with the vet about
my finances. They were willing to let me make monthly payments (in any
amount, as long as I kept paying). Call around and find a vet who will
work with you.

I made a vet appointment for tomorrow. I should have the money, if
anything I can ask my Mother to help me out. I'm just wondering how
common this is or serious, obviously pretty serious. She's back to
acting normal, trying to jump on me as I sit in a recliner and laying
around. I'm just wondering that if I hadnt seen this happen I would
not even know anything was wrong. This could have happened before and
I never saw it and dont know. Better to be safe than sorry, I'll see
what the vet has to say.

Old March 7th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 7, 12:49?pm, "Rene S." wrote:
[...]

-------------
You're doing the right thing. While it is true that this could have happened
before and you missed it, you would have seen it eventually. Although small
children can sometimes have an isolated seizure with a high fever and then
never have one again, seizures generally don't happen in isolation. Usually,
people and animals don't develop seizure disorders out of the blue. You need
to find out the underlying cause and treat it so that Kiki is not having
ongoing seizures. Please keep us updated and let us know what your vet says.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 7th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zinzee

On Mar 7, 1:12 pm, wrote:
On Mar 7, 12:49?pm, "Rene S." wrote:

[...]

That is so good to hear! I imagine that your mother is a bit attached
to the cat as well due to the fact that you've had Kiki since seven
years of age. Accept any help offered to you and just make sure to
make good on paying them back. Please swallow your pride and know
that you are very lucky to have trusting and helpful people around
you.

Please let us know what the vet says about Kiki as we are anxious to
hear the report!

Wishing you and Kiki well,
Heather

Old March 7th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 7 Mar, 19:03, "zinzee" wrote:
On Mar 7, 1:12 pm, wrote:

On Mar 7, 12:49?pm, "Rene S." wrote:

[...]

Heather- Hide quoted text -

Wonderful news, & I take me hat off to you..;o)

We get loads of morons who tell us precious their cat is to them, we
when we advise them to get to the vet, they evaporate into thin
air...!!?
So news like this is super...

I really am delighted to hear this news, mostly because I understand
how you feel
(In fact most of us have been through this one time or another...)

It can be so worrying. & as you say, she has been a part of your life
for a very long time now. You will feel so much better about yourself
when "you know" what is wrong, & what you need to do to take care of
her, as she has for you for so many faithful years.
You are also very lucky that you have someone to turn to for the help
you require..
So many people don't.

It is different for you over in the USA, but I know that you must have
some sort of charitable association that does help animals in need?

Ours is called the PDSA, or the RSPCA & also the Blue cross hospitals
too.
None of them would turn away a sick animal, but you do have to sign an
agreement to promise to pay for the assistance they provide for you..
Under the circumstances, it is a small thing to ask, when you consider
the service that they are doing for your faithful friend.

I wish you all the best for tomorrow, & I think we would all be ever
so grateful to hear how you got on.
Many thanks for taking the advice on your cat's behalf. I know it will
squeeze you dry for a while, but I assure you that you will sleep easy
@ night knowing that you have done your best for Kiki
Hope to hear from you soon,
Best Wishes,
Sheelagh