Synchronized Toileting

Old July 24th 14, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Synchronized Toileting

Persia is an indoor only cat. I've often noticed when I'm using the
"facilities" she decides that would be a good time for her to use her
litterbox.

Of course we studiously avoid looking at each other. :-D She used to be
rather shy about coming in there when I was using the toilet. Not so
much lately, although she never faces me when we're both occupied at the
same time.

I've also noticed when I need to buy toilet paper it also seems I need
to buy more kitty litter. Coincidence? Are Persia and I really that in
sync?

Jill
Old July 24th 14, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
toci

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:44:14 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
Persia is an indoor only cat. I've often noticed when I'm using the

"facilities" she decides that would be a good time for her to use her

litterbox.

Of course we studiously avoid looking at each other. :-D She used to be

rather shy about coming in there when I was using the toilet. Not so

much lately, although she never faces me when we're both occupied at the

same time.

I've also noticed when I need to buy toilet paper it also seems I need

to buy more kitty litter. Coincidence? Are Persia and I really that in

sync?

Jill

For cats, toileting is a social occasion. Toci
Old July 24th 14, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/24/2014 6:20 PM, toci wrote:
On Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:44:14 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
Persia is an indoor only cat. I've often noticed when I'm using the
"facilities" she decides that would be a good time for her to use her
litterbox.

Of course we studiously avoid looking at each other. :-D She used to be
rather shy about coming in there when I was using the toilet. Not so
much lately, although she never faces me when we're both occupied at the
same time.

I've also noticed when I need to buy toilet paper it also seems I need
to buy more kitty litter. Coincidence? Are Persia and I really that in
sync?

Jill

For cats, toileting is a social occasion. Toci

I really wouldn't know. She adopted me in 2001. I guess I'm the
closest thing she's had to another cat for the last 13 years. She did
used to hesitate to come into the bathroom if it was "occupied" (unless
I was taking a shower). Now, not so much.

Jill
Old July 25th 14, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Persia is an indoor only cat. I've often noticed when I'm using the
"facilities" she decides that would be a good time for her to use her
litterbox.

For cats, toileting is a social occasion.

Some of ours have done that too. My Mingus particularly appreciated
my company.

I was once waiting at a big bus station in central Turkey (Konya
or Kayseri, I think) when the call to prayer went off at the local
mosque. A fair number of humans went off for their pre-prayer
ablutions, but there were a whole lot of cats hanging around too.
They promptly had a synchronized crap in the flowerbeds. They
didn't appear to pray afterwards, but how would I know what cat
praying looks like?

Old July 25th 14, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
Persia is an indoor only cat. I've often noticed when I'm using the
"facilities" she decides that would be a good time for her to use
her
litterbox.

For cats, toileting is a social occasion.

Some of ours have done that too. My Mingus particularly appreciated
my company.

I was once waiting at a big bus station in central Turkey (Konya
or Kayseri, I think) when the call to prayer went off at the local
mosque. A fair number of humans went off for their pre-prayer
ablutions, but there were a whole lot of cats hanging around too.
They promptly had a synchronized crap in the flowerbeds. They
didn't appear to pray afterwards, but how would I know what cat
praying looks like?

I know what cat preying looks like, though ;-)

Old July 25th 14, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 19:24:00 -0700, "Sylvia M"
wrote:

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
Persia is an indoor only cat. I've often noticed when I'm using the
"facilities" she decides that would be a good time for her to use
her
litterbox.
For cats, toileting is a social occasion.

Some of ours have done that too. My Mingus particularly appreciated
my company.

I was once waiting at a big bus station in central Turkey (Konya
or Kayseri, I think) when the call to prayer went off at the local
mosque. A fair number of humans went off for their pre-prayer
ablutions, but there were a whole lot of cats hanging around too.
They promptly had a synchronized crap in the flowerbeds. They
didn't appear to pray afterwards, but how would I know what cat
praying looks like?

I know what cat preying looks like, though ;-)

Cute.

But I do know what cat praying looks like. It's the face on Nipsy when
I climb into bed and he knows that it's Temptations time.
Old July 25th 14, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Are you sure that's not just a look of satisfaction? Ahhhh, treat time!

I rarely give Persia any treats but when I do, I say the word and she
gets this really happy look on her pretty face.

Jill
Old July 25th 14, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:42:13 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/24/2014 6:20 PM, toci wrote:

[...]

Oh Rita has no problem coming into the bathroom when I'm in there! Once I sit down, here she comes, walking across the front of me and stopping with her nose facing the bathtub and her tail waving in 'my business'. I chase her away, but she always comes back. *sigh*

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old July 25th 14, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 7/24/2014 6:20 PM, toci wrote:

[...]

Pyewacket used to like to come in and jump up on my lap.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old July 31st 14, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Persia is an indoor only cat. I've often noticed when I'm using the
"facilities" she decides that would be a good time for her to use her
litterbox.

Of course we studiously avoid looking at each other. :-D She used to be
rather shy about coming in there when I was using the toilet. Not so much
lately, although she never faces me when we're both occupied at the same
time.

I've also noticed when I need to buy toilet paper it also seems I need to
buy more kitty litter. Coincidence? Are Persia and I really that in
sync?

Jill

ISTR Joyce also having the same experience with one of her kitties. Must be
a bonding experience!
Although I have a litter tray in the bathroom for Boyfie, that's never going
to happen here.
When he was confined to the house for 2 weeks after his operation he would
only use the litterbox if it was right by the back door (and then only for a
wee). For a poo he would go up to the bathroom and use the bath.
Now you would think that a litterbox discreetly tucked away in the bathroom
if a boy cannot go out would be perfect to use for both functions.
Apparently not.
He wouldn't even use a lb at the vets until they put earth in it, and then
only for a wee.

I'd quite like to have synchronised toileting with Boyfie (once, not every
day!)
However, although KFC was used to using the outside for toilet duties, when
she got confused and didn't realise she *could* go out, even though the door
was open, she started hunting out places to pee, like behind the woodburner.
Once I realised and introduced a lb in the kitchen she used it like she'd
always had one.
If I'd had one in the bathroom (I thought it might be a step too far for
her to remember to go upstairs) I'm sure Kitty Farmcat and myself would have
had sychronised toileting now and again. ;-)
I still don't understand why Boyfie is so against a litterbox. I have one
for him in case of bad weather, torrential rain, snow, but still he will
hold himself for 24 hours and then march out into the weather to do his
toileting outside.
when just upstairs in the bathroom there is a litterbox he can use if he
needs to. He knows it's there. And it has earth in (he wouldn't even
consider litter)
Sometimes you can only do what you can do. I don't know anything about his
previous life except that he had a posh collar on and he loves dry food.
I do know that his previous owners didn't bother to neuter him and it is
probably why he got horribly lost.

But he was lucky.
It was very difficult to encourage him into the house. It took months, I
know a lost boy when I see one.
So he got the snip and now is very happy to stay around home with a perfect
life. He can hunt if he wants to or he can retire to his bedroom.
I'm not suggestng that's possible in some parts of the USA. With alligators
and coyotes and dangerous hawks.
And bears and cougars.
The only thing here that will attack a cat is a fox but they mostly don't
unless they have cubs to feed (and even so most don't cross that line) but
some do. I've seen Boyfie get up a tree in 2 seconds after a squirrel so I
know he can keep himself out of trouble if he sees a fox.

I keep him in overnight anyway. He can go out until midnight to pretend he
is hunting rats but after that he has to come in.