Koala update

Old August 7th 14, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Koala update

On 8/6/2014 5:02 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
I have suggested this before. Crush the pill into a fine powder and
mix it with tuna juice (chicken of the sea packed in water). Most
cats love the tuna juice and will eat it right down.

Unfortunately, Mike, my cat is one of the few who will not eat tuna.
When she first came to live with me the vet wanted me to give her
deworming pills (just in case). He suggested water packed tuna. I
thought oh boy, she's getting a treat! Persia sniffed the tuna and
looked at me like I was crazy.

I get antithyroid pills into Chloe by rolling them in a postage
stamp sized piece of thinly sliced ham and having her take them
from my fingers. By now she knows to ask me for her pill first
thing every morning. Shaking the pill bottle always brings her
through into the kitchen.

I'm told antithyroid pills taste much nastier than most medications,
so tuna juice wouldn't work.

One of my mottos is "One size does not fit all". Pills are different,
and cats are different. To the best of my knowledge, Koala has never
eaten anything except dry food, and possibly prey he caught when he was
feral. I have no idea what he would and wouldn't like, and I'm not
terribly anxious to get him turned on to people food.

I have an idea giving him the pill might be a real battle, because each
time I give Koala his medicine it gets a little harder. Today he hissed
and snapped at me. I gave him a treat afterward and he slapped it down.
Actually, I take it as a good sign. He was too lethargic to resist
the first day. I’m sure he’s feeling better. He’s definitely eating
more. Nine more days to go, and then the pill. When it comes to the
pill, I’m tempted to crush it and dissolve it in tuna juice. If he
doesn’t drink it, I’ll get another pill from the vet, or take him in and
let her give it to him.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old August 7th 14, 10:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I have suggested this before. Crush the pill into a fine powder and
mix it with tuna juice (chicken of the sea packed in water). Most
cats love the tuna juice and will eat it right down.

I get antithyroid pills into Chloe by rolling them in a postage
stamp sized piece of thinly sliced ham and having her take them
from my fingers. By now she knows to ask me for her pill first
thing every morning. Shaking the pill bottle always brings her
through into the kitchen.

Who said anything about antithyroid pills?

Nobody. But a trick that works for those should work for anything.

I'm told antithyroid pills taste much nastier than most medications,
so tuna juice wouldn't work.

I'm sure most pills taste nasty.

Not in the same league. There are large variations in unpleasantness.
The antithyroid ones are coated for a reason. You'd never crush them.

Old August 7th 14, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/7/2014 1:02 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Joy
wrote:
[...]

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e .
u k Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22
4PU, Scotland mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk
Twitter: JackCampin

[...]

I think that's a good plan and one I would go for.

Judith

Actually, I've thought of something else to try first. I forgot I had
bought some Greenies when Waffles was ill. A few days before I have to
give him the pill, I'll try giving him one or two of those. If he eats
them, I'll try the pill with that first. If he manages to eat the
Greenie and leave the pill, I can still try the tuna water.

Old August 7th 14, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
toci

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:13:22 PM UTC-5, Joy wrote:
[...]

On the tuna water, why not try him on plain tuna water first? If he likes that, he's on the first step to taking his pill. Of course you'll have to find something to do with the tuna fish. (Felix is right at my feet whenever I open a can of tuna.) Toci
Old August 8th 14, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 8/7/2014 3:28 PM, toci wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea. I can always make tuna sandwiches. However, first
I'm going to try Greenies. I forgot I had some. I'll give him one or
two each day for two or three days before he gets the pill. If he eats
them, I'll try the pill in one. If that doesn't work, tuna water is
next. There's a very good chance that if the Greenie doesn't work, the
pill will be intact so I can use it again.

Joy

Koala Joy Cat anecdotes 21 July 29th 14 06:57 AM
Animals, including Sam the koala, emerging from the Victoria fires Flippy[_4_] Cat anecdotes 7 February 12th 09 08:44 PM
Update ( Warning! (kili update and a Troll)) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 4 December 25th 08 04:00 PM
UPDATE #3 Update #2 Update sigh (was Almost had a Ping-Brother (this would make cat #13)) Magic Mood Jeep Cat anecdotes 7 June 5th 07 10:41 PM
ANOTHER UPDATE UPDATE Tomorrow Adrian Cat anecdotes 2 August 6th 04 07:27 PM