Tweed.....

Old August 16th 12, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pat Chlebowski

Default Tweed.....

Thank you for the update.. I'm glad things have gone your way....

Old August 17th 12, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message

I didn't think you were Chinese, now did I??

What Joyce said: I was merely pointing out the we Americans have a
different spelling for that word than you do.

So, in order to sling more Americanisms at you: Take a Chill Pill, woman!

I am very well aware of the different spellings you have. Too aware. I
think I know them all.
When I was a child at school, the teachers actually punished us if we
accidentally wrote American spellings or said American phrases. I'm not
sure why, it wasn't exactly the crime of the century, was it? This was also
reinforced at home. (why?)
It's still stayed with me.

My guess is that they were trying to install national pride in the true
English language to the schoolchildren.

I've never got away from English is English. A language evolves in it's
own true country.
English has evolved in America differently. It's American.

Old August 17th 12, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Do you say the same about Australian English? If so, I've never heard you
say it here. If not, why not? What's the difference? Australian English has
evolved differently, too.

I think we all speak English, just different dialects.

--
Joyce

When you finish, you have a complete (you hope) set of characters. So you call
it a "character set". And because you're in a funny mood, instead of calling
the numeric identifiers "numeric identifiers", you call them "code points".

-- Steve Ferg, "Unicode Beginners Introduction for Dummies Made Simple"
Old August 17th 12, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message

I thought it was Tweed 2, (rotten) neighbours 0 (the drop kerb
(USA
spelling would be curb) being point #1)

I'm not likely to take up American spelling. I am a Brit and it
is a kerb.
Point number 2. Best not to try to teach me English, as I *am*
English ;-)
Tweed

Tweed also writes "number", and doesn't use "#" as the
abbreviated form. The "British English" (sic) abbreviation for
"number" is usually written as "No.", which somewhat confusingly
is, I believe, derived from the Latin "Numero" - even though in
academic circles, English is generally described as a Germanic
language!

--
MatSav

Old August 17th 12, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MatSav" wrote in message ...

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message

I thought it was Tweed 2, (rotten) neighbours 0 (the drop kerb (USA
spelling would be curb) being point #1)

I'm not likely to take up American spelling. I am a Brit and it is a kerb.
Point number 2. Best not to try to teach me English, as I *am* English ;-)
Tweed

Tweed also writes "number", and doesn't use "#" as the
abbreviated form. The "British English" (sic) abbreviation for
"number" is usually written as "No.", which somewhat confusingly
is, I believe, derived from the Latin "Numero" - even though in
academic circles, English is generally described as a Germanic
language!

--
MatSav

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both "#" and "No." are used as abbreviations for "number" in the U.S. I
think "No." is more common, and "#" is also used for "pound" (as a unit of
measure, not currency). I'm not sure why Tweed seems so annoyed at the way
the English language has evolved in the U.S. and other countries. Even in
England, there are a variety of accents (and sometime spellings) in
different regions. Certainly, no one should try to teach English to Tweed.
As she said, she *is* English. On the other hand, I really do not think the
reference to "curb" contrasted with "kerb" was an attempt to lecture her on
spelling. I interpreted it as simply an explanation of why some of us used
"curb" in our messages. There are many variations of spelling, but I don't
think anyone should feel insulted by different usages.

MaryL

Old August 17th 12, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

You must ask Yowie about whether Australian English has differed in spelling
like American English has. My guess is not.
All Australians and NZ on here have good English spelling.

Old August 17th 12, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

MaryL wrote:

Both "#" and "No." are used as abbreviations for "number" in the U.S. I
think "No." is more common, and "#" is also used for "pound" (as a unit of
measure, not currency). I'm not sure why Tweed seems so annoyed at the way
the English language has evolved in the U.S. and other countries. Even in
England, there are a variety of accents (and sometime spellings) in
different regions. Certainly, no one should try to teach English to Tweed.
As she said, she *is* English.

I wouldn't try to teach English to Tweed because she doesn't like it. If
I know this about her and I do it anyway, then who's being a jerk?

On the other hand, there are plenty of English speakers who could use a
few lessons. I can't think of any Brits who fall into that category,
though, and I can think of lots of Americans who do. But I don't think
that's because British English is the only right way to speak or write
English. It's because their educational system is far superior to ours.
If I were to correct an American's language, it wouldn't be to get them
to speak more like the British - it would be to help them speak/write
more *coherently*.

It's especially true for people who are a lot younger than I am. I'm
appalled by how poorly kids are taught basic language skills - spelling
and grammar, for example. My education was a lot better, and I didn't
go to a fancy school, just public school in an ordinary, lower middle
class town. The difference is, I grew up in the 1960s, and they were
still teaching decent skills back then. I'm not blaming the teachers,
though. Most of them try really hard to make do with very little.

OK, now I sound like every aging crank who has ever complained about
"how bad things have gotten since I was young."

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old August 17th 12, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking just about spelling. I guess you're
right that a lot of the same spellings are used in Britain and Australia,
where it differs in the USA. But the languages have diverged in other ways,
don't you think? Different idioms and so on?

Old August 17th 12, 06:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

That is definitely true. Aussies generally use the British spelling. Their
idioms and their place names, are a mixture of English terms and uniquely
Australian terms, with a smattering of Aboriginal terminology and even a few
Americanisms thrown in.

Joy (An American who will be visiting Australia for the sixth time in
October)

Old August 17th 12, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking just about spelling. I guess you're
right that a lot of the same spellings are used in Britain and Australia,
where it differs in the USA. But the languages have diverged in other
ways, don't you think? Different idioms and so on?

That is definitely true. Aussies generally use the British spelling. Their
idioms and their place names, are a mixture of English terms and uniquely
Australian terms, with a smattering of Aboriginal terminology and even a few
Americanisms thrown in.

Joy (An American who will be visiting Australia for the sixth time in
October)

Hooray! You must be getting excited.

--
Joyce

audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.

Tweed pat Chlebowski Cat anecdotes 2 June 22nd 12 01:25 AM
For Tweed Karen Cat anecdotes 10 January 6th 09 08:27 PM
For Tweed and Rob Marina Cat anecdotes 3 February 15th 07 12:48 PM
Tweed! Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 1 December 18th 05 06:20 AM
Tweed has had her op Debbie Wilson Cat anecdotes 12 May 18th 05 04:29 AM